Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit - Change Revision to Multiple Sheets

47 REPLIES 47
SOLVED
Message 1 of 48
lukem35
66245 Views, 47 Replies

Revit - Change Revision to Multiple Sheets

This is driving me crazy, does anyone know how I can change the revisions to multiple sheets quickly, instead of going into each and every sheet and manually changing the revision?

Surely Autodesk has a fast and simple way to do this.

47 REPLIES 47
Message 21 of 48
RJServoss
in reply to: jkarben

I find the cloud method to be faster and safer.

The Revisions on Sheet override can only be done one sheet at a time where you can paste clouds to all of the sheets in just a couple of clicks; and you can't paste a cloud to a sheet that doesn't exist yet, but you can check a box for an issuance that occurred in the past. 

Message 22 of 48
cprice
in reply to: lukem35

As part of our free suite of tools we have released a tool for Revit 2014 that enables you to quickly "UpRev" many sheets in a just a few seconds without the need to resort to misusing clouds.

You can access the tool here: http://www.xrev.com.au/products/Xrev-Freebies

Message 23 of 48
MKFreiert
in reply to: cprice

i'm not sure that's misusing clouds. it's doing exactly what clouds were intended to be used for, to indicate changes to that sheet.

that said, your free tool looks slick.
Message 24 of 48
cprice
in reply to: MKFreiert

I call it mis-using because using clouds this way, means you have to turn them off globally for a particular revision, and can't choose to have some turned on. The Revision on Sheet option enables you to show clouds where you need them, and force a revision on a sheet where its a new issue etc.

Thanks for the feedback on the tool, we hope people find it useful.
Message 25 of 48
MKFreiert

for consistency, if you want to show clouds, they are turned on, or off per revision. this can allow you to show multiple clouds, or none or anything in between, depending on what you are trying to communicate.

the idea of including a sheet in a revision without cloud can be either as a reference sheet or because no clouds are issued with that revision.

what would be nice is a revision option to include ALL existing sheets by default in the revision dialogue. very often end of phase will result in a wiping clear of clouds, and be a full reissue of all sheets.

adding a cloud ensures that there is a direct attachment to that sheet once a revision has been issued, where as ticking off the box is something that can be changed after a revision has been issued, which is bad practice.
Message 26 of 48
cprice

The way I've always managed the difference:

- Use of Revisions on Sheet, for the first issue of a particular sheet OR adding a new revision where nothing has technically changed, but is Up revved for a Tender Issue, BA Issue, DA Issue, IFC etc.

- Use of clouds where the sheet has previously been issued and particular changes have occurred that you wish to highlight

What I was getting at is if you are using clouds for both circumstances, then for a particular revision you cannot show clouds on some sheets and not on others without workarounds or using the Revisions on Sheet option.

That said, I used to do it this way all the time just because it is so much quicker to copy/paste clouds to selected views. But with this addin you don't have to anymore...

If you go through and nominate a revision as "issued" you cannot deselect that revision from the sheets. A cloud can be deleted so Revision on Sheets is probably more protection...
Message 27 of 48
MKFreiert

i just checked before posting and WAS able to add and remove sheets from issued revisions in the check box. could be a glitch, or how something is set up here, but the clouds couldn't change and the tick boxes for inclusion could.

an issued cloud cant' be deleted without UNissuing the sheet, where as that tick box apparently can.

i concur entirely on your use of clouds vs unclouded sheets, and i've done both methods (tick and non-visible clouds) for no-cloud issues, but i think i'm going to be using non-visible clouds from now on to ensure accuracy of the model relative to produced documents.
Message 28 of 48
cprice

Ahh, I was going off memory, as I knew in the Revision on Sheets section, revisions grey out and cannot be changed. I thought it was because of the "Issued" parameter, but its because of having a cloud on the sheet already associated to that revision.

Agreed, we shouldn't be able to deselect Revisions if they are nominated as Issued...

Well for those wanting to apply a revision to bulk sheets without using clouds its now possible with this addin.

Just need to trust your users not to deselect revisions. I don't see this as much of an issue as its a very specific location you have to go to, to remove revisions and don't think someone will do it accidentally. If they are doing it purposefully then, they can still do it with the revision clouds as well...

Its probably possible to lock this down using the API, so that users cannot deselect revisions nominated as issued...
Message 29 of 48
juli063s

How to remove multiple revisions from selected sheets that was applied without cloud with addin?

Message 30 of 48
cprice
in reply to: juli063s

UpRev is meant for adding revisions.  If you make a mistake, you can UNDO the action, using the Revit Undo Stack.  Currently it doesn't also DownRev, to allow you to selectively remove revisions from Sheets.  You would need to go into each sheet, and change the Revisions on Sheet values as required.

Message 31 of 48
laxdw7

I've found the fastest way to apply Global revisions without changing Visibility settings or faffing with parameters is;

- Create a Revision and make sure it is set to 'Cloud and Tag'

- Place revision cloud on first sheet (doesn't matter where, make it large to check this has worked)

- Apply correct revision to cloud

- Paste aligned to selected views (select all views).

- Go back to revision edit and change 'Cloud and Tag' to 'Tag'

- You should find this hides your revision clouds but retains the correct revisions on each sheet.

Any cons to this would be appreciated.  

Tags (1)
Message 32 of 48
david5BFXN

Obviously this is a very old post.  But a current issue.  And I've seen a lot of bad advice on here involving a work-around.  DO NOT hide (copy & paste) tiny clouds on each sheet, this is a poor work-around, and causes confusion for others using the file down the road.

It's simple to update "revisions on sheet" for multiple sheets at once.  For some reason the "revisions on sheet" property disappears when selecting multiple sheets.  However if you expand each sheet in the project browser to show the views on the sheet -- then select all of the sheets again -- the property for "revisions on sheet" remains.  This is kind of a pain, but less of a pain than doing one sheet at a time.  And far less of a pain for someone down the road dealing with the work-around being suggested by others.

1. Go to Project Browser

2. Expand each sheet by selecting + sign next to each sheet name (will show all views on sheet)

3. Select all sheets you want to update revisions (including views on sheet)

4. Go to Properties and select the "Edit..." box for "Revision on Sheet"

Some people seem to think that you only add a revision to a sheet if it is clouded.  Not always the case.  An entire set can be reissued with only modified sheets having clouds, but all title blocks updated to show current revision on sheet.

Message 33 of 48
ToanDN
in reply to: david5BFXN

Scratch my reply.  Good trick!

... up until you have a few hundred sheets you will feel the pain of repeating this task.

Also, covered in another thread.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-architecture-forum/show-revision-history-on-all-sheets/m-p/68301...

Message 34 of 48
david5BFXN
in reply to: ToanDN

I've worked with drawing sets that have thousands of sheets.  And I have felt the pain.  And I've also felt the pain of trying to unravel work-arounds people use for this specific issue, and many others.

Dynamo seems to be an option, however there will be a learning curve involved for most users. And thus they'll probably avoid it -- for multiple reasons, right or wrong.

Expanding the project browser for each sheet is not a difficult or time consuming task.  And it avoids work-arounds.  When each person on a project decides to use their own work around you end up in real trouble.  This is coming from a former BIM coordinator working on million square foot projects, with drawing sets thousands of sheets deep.  

Message 35 of 48
ToanDN

I submitted a request to improve Expanding/Contracting Sheet trees in the Project Browser.  Please vote if you think it is useful.

Open and Close 'Tree' for All Sheets in Project Browser

Message 36 of 48
timw1424
in reply to: ToanDN

With Revit 2016, it appears as though you just have to expand one sheet and not all the sheets to retain the "revisions on sheet" button.  This helps with a few less clicks... 

Message 37 of 48
mpwuzhere
in reply to: timw1424

This has always seemed to be graphics card related.  What seems to work for one person it doesn't work for another.

As soon as I select another sheet, or a view within the tree my Revision on Sheets button disappears.   I have tried changing to browser organization - All; keeping my Project Browser and Properties on my main monitor...etc, etc...it disappears.  That is on 2016.

Cool...it works on 2017 though.

Message 38 of 48
bcaron6KJJX
in reply to: mpwuzhere

For me, expanding the project browser and multiple-selecting the sheets doesn't work (Revit 2018). It does keep the button active, but it is not populating the revisions to every sheet's titleblock. (It only changes the one in the active window.) Guess I'm going to have to figure out how to write a macro to do this...

Message 39 of 48
ToanDN
in reply to: bcaron6KJJX

Message 40 of 48
erajapackiyam

David it doesn't work for in any version. is there any work around?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report