Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit Architecture modelling space in perspective view mode

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
milos.stojic
4571 Views, 20 Replies

Revit Architecture modelling space in perspective view mode

Hello everyone,

This question is intended to Autodesk tachnical staff: Me and most of my colleagues (architects) are desperatelly expecting Revit Architecture version with possibility of modelling space in perspective view mode. When we can expect to such crutial changes occur??? You have to be aware of fact that every architect is educated to perceive space in perspective and think about space and draw in natural, perspective view, not isometric!!!

Thanks and best wishes

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
LisaDrago
in reply to: milos.stojic

just a thought - it is a new way of working - change is not always bad. You can have perspective views if you want to work in them. 

Like I said - it is just a thought...

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 3 of 21
milos.stojic

OK, thank you for your opinion, but from my point of view it's not a new way of working, it's just bad solution for an architect. Furthermore, software is called Revit Architecture and I think it has to be adopted to the need of an architect. Only chance to view my model from perspective view is when I've already set the camera, and that is far away of good perceiving and understanding of space. Do not understand me wrong, Revit Architecture is powerfull application with great possibilities, but this is a huge lack.

Message 4 of 21
loboarch
in reply to: LisaDrago

@LisaDrago wrote:

just a thought - it is a new way of working - change is not always bad. You can have perspective views if you want to work in them. 

LD

This thread strikes me as funny for some reason.  I understand the desire to work in perspective view.  This is how we naturally experience space, so it makes sense that an Architect would want to work in a perspective view.

As for a "new way of working", in my training as an Architect and while I was practicing as an Architect, perspective views were something I typically did LATE in the process.  They were presentation views.  I did not WORK and DESIGN in perspective.  Perhaps quick sketch perspective studies or physical models, but most of my design work was done from orthographically projected views (plans, elevations, sections).  In that sense Revit is still very TRADITIONAL.  When I want to "see" something in perspective, I can create a quick camera view (very quick and very accurate).  I will often tile my camera view and other orthographic views so i can see both at the same time.  This lets me be both accurate and understand the space in a perspective view at the same time.

From my experience working and designing in perspective view on a computer screen is something that is pretty NEW.

All of that said, the desire to work in a perspective view is often requested, and understood by the Revit team. 

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 5 of 21
milos.stojic
in reply to: loboarch

@loboarch wrote:

@LisaDrago wrote:

LD

This thread strikes me as funny for some reason.  I understand the desire to work in perspective view.  This is how we naturally experience space, so it makes sense that an Architect would want to work in a perspective view.

As for a "new way of working", in my training as an Architect and while I was practicing as an Architect, perspective views were something I typically did LATE in the process.  They were presentation views.  I did not WORK and DESIGN in perspective.  Perhaps quick sketch perspective studies or physical models, but most of my design work was done from orthographically projected views (plans, elevations, sections).  In that sense Revit is still very TRADITIONAL.  When I want to "see" something in perspective, I can create a quick camera view (very quick and very accurate).  I will often tile my camera view and other orthographic views so i can see both at the same time.  This lets me be both accurate and understand the space in a perspective view at the same time.

From my experience working and designing in perspective view on a computer screen is something that is pretty NEW.

All of that said, the desire to work in a perspective view is often requested, and understood by the Revit team. 

Jeff, thank you for your answer.

From my point of view, working and designing in perspective view on a computer is not pretty new technology (for ex. 3DS Max).

However, do you know when we can expect that some changes happen in that way? We are getting those questions every day. For example: We are Autodesk distributors in Serbia, among the other ADSK solutions we are mostly selling Revit based solutions. In our country, architects are used to make projects using combination of AutoCAD (drawing documentation) and 3DS Max (3D modelling, with of course, modelling in perspective view possibility), and our job is to move them to Revit platform and to explain them that it's powerfull tool and better solution for them. What I should answer when I get similar questions about perspective view in Revit? 🙂

Regards to Revit team, and try to make those changes happen!!!

Message 6 of 21

In Vasari you can model in perspective, and in Autocad too, so why in Revit not? After working a while in Vasari, I´m very sad that I can´t use the conic perspective in revit to model things. This is specially annoying when you are walking through a model and see a mistake somewhere, you have to go to another view to edit that element. This is a huge change that Revit have to do. 

Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
in reply to: FELIPEJUNQUEIRA9846

This Pushes me towards other software..... a 3D BIM application that does not allow perspective just kills it for me. I keep coming back to Revit as its the industry standard and keep getting knocked back on this... it just simply is not a comfortable way to work for an designer who needs to understand the space. Other lesser software can do it. Why not Revit?

Message 8 of 21

Nearly 3 years on & still waiting!!!!

Working in 3D parallel projection is an absolute joke!

I find it extremely difficult to believe that Revit forces users to work in 2D views while maintaining to be a 3D tool.

Even a simple modeling program such as Sketchup allows parallel/perspective at the click of a button (with a much friendlier user interface to boot).

Living in hope,

Brenton

Message 9 of 21
cbcarch

In my past office experience, designers who used Sketchup were extremely resistant to even consider using Revit because of its lack of editing ability in camera views.

In Revit 2015, you can use Move and Align commands. So that's a liitle bit of improvement. I agree that a full set of editing / modeling tools should be available in perspective views.

So--the Factory is listening, and hopefully in future releases the whole set of tools will be functional in perspective views.

That said--having used 3dsMax, Maya, Architectural Desktop/ACA, Bentley Microstation and Sketchup--and beginning with Revit's 1st release back in 2000,

I have become very comfortable modeling in plan, elevation, section, isometric and camera views. Lots of good buildings have been produced using these methods.

But the sooner the better for full modeling capabilities in perspective.

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects-St. Louis, MO
Message 10 of 21
Anonymous

Jeff,

That's a pretty arrogant answer to a customer request. "This thread strikes me as funny..." what a joke! I think that you should not be telling people that they they've got it all wrong and should stick to the OLD and TRADITIONAL ways. If we stuck to the traditional ways, we would still be drawing bay hand and Revit would not exist, right? Please keep your sarcastic comments to yourself and try listening to your customers for a change, otherwise they won't stick around for too long.

I hear that Vectorworks users in the UK are now more than Revit users, perhaps because you were too busy posting comments like this instead of delivering what your customers really want.

@loboarch wrote:

@LisaDrago wrote:

LD

Message 11 of 21
M-Town_Drafter
in reply to: Anonymous

You do realize you're commenting to something written in 2012, right?

I didn't read Jeff Hanson's opening comment as being particularly out of line.  I thought that If anything, the capitalization of some of the words was a bit much.  I myself have an odd sense of humor, and some things strike me as funny when others don't view it as such.

And I agree that if it's being requested, then Autodesk should look at it possibly being added.  I know that there's some enhancements in that area in 2016, but I haven't explored it yet, so I don't know how significant these changes are.  They do look at user requests, perhaps it's not being requested that often. I keep requesting enhancements to text editing (which I know a lot of people do), but whenever there's a new release, I don't get my present under the Christmas tree...

I personally didn't like it when I was modeling in a perspective view in AutoCAD years ago, but I can see where it would benefit some folks.  I suppose that one solution might be to have a perspective view open alongside another view where you're actually doing the modeling so you can at least see how it's looking.  Not an elegant solution, though.

Have a great evening!

JP

Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
in reply to: M-Town_Drafter

The date is not relevant to the fact that the comment is sarcastic and patronizing. I do realise when it was posted but what’s worse, I also realise that it is now 2015 and the OPTION of switching between Axonometry and Perspective is not there yet when others have it for ages.

You may not like working in perspective, but many others do and I see no reason why we should not have the option of switching between the two.

ArchiCAD.jpg

Message 13 of 21
chrisplyler

I hope you get your wish so that you can design in perspective view if that's what you want, but please don't start littering construction drawings with them.

Sincerely,

Every Contractor Ever

Message 14 of 21
Anonymous
in reply to: chrisplyler

@chrisplyler wrote:

I hope you get your wish so that you can design in perspective view if that's what you want, but please don't start littering construction drawings with them.

Sincerely,

Every Contractor Ever

chrisplyler, please read carefully before you comment, especially when you comment on behalf of all contractors. Who is talking about drawings? All I want is to have the option to view (please note - on the computer screen) the model in a Perspective view. In my opinion, it is much more natural to the eye and easier to work with. Is that too much to ask and how is this going to "litter" anything!?

Message 15 of 21
M-Town_Drafter

zhezy005-  Ok.  FIrst off, I said that while I don't particularly like that environment, I saw where it would benefit others.  And that if there are requests for it, Autodesk should listen.  You seemed to take that as I was disagreeing with you.  Fine.  Whatever.  So, when chrisplyler makes a joke, you seem to take offense to it.  Really?  Fine again.  But I thought it was funny.  And I used to be a contractor, and I'm now a designer (Revit and AutoCAD don't require me to climb scaffolding).  So, go make your request to Autodesk, start a campaign, whatever.  If you start a petition, I'll sign even, cause if it's something that helps others be more efficient, I'm all for it, even if it's a feature I probably won't use.  But complaining on a this discussion board won't help you get it.

chrisplyler- Keep the jokes coming.  I appreciate them!

Sincerely,

Everyone in this room staying up tonight trying to finish a fast food restaurant remodel drawing set.

Message 16 of 21
ToanDN
in reply to: M-Town_Drafter

I concur that it is a legit request. Autodesk should look pass the arrogant delivery (if they think so, I don't), into the real content of the message. It is an obvious shortcoming of Revit that needs to be addressed.
Message 17 of 21
loboarch

@Anonymous wrote:

Jeff,

That's a pretty arrogant answer to a customer request. "This thread strikes me as funny..." what a joke! I think that you should not be telling people that they they've got it all wrong and should stick to the OLD and TRADITIONAL ways. If we stuck to the traditional ways, we would still be drawing bay hand and Revit would not exist, right? Please keep your sarcastic comments to yourself and try listening to your customers for a change, otherwise they won't stick around for too long.

I hear that Vectorworks users in the UK are now more than Revit users, perhaps because you were too busy posting comments like this instead of delivering what your customers really want.

Zhezy005,

If my original response came off to you as arrogant that was not my intention.  I am sorry.

My original comment acknowledges the desire to have editng tools in perspective views after the intro of "This thread strikes me as funny..."

My comment was comming from the position of my experience as a design professional and as a design instructor at 2 local colleges.  The idea of designing and working in perspective view is not something that happens in my experience.  Perspectives are (and have always been) used as an additional tool and way of understanding a design or a space, but the design process typically happens on orthographic projections (plans, sections, elevations).  This is still true today in my experience.

With modeling software perspective views can be created pretty much "at will" and should be used as part of the design process, I am just not sure how much designing happens in these views even when editing in them is possible.

Like my original post said, I do understand the desire to have editing tools in a Revit perspective view, but in my experience the designing happens in other views and the perspective is used a a visual "check", or in a presentation.  Even without being able to edit in a perspective view it is possible to tile views in Revit and in effect use the perspective view this way while manipulating the elements in section and plan views.

Also since the post was originally created in 2012 there has been some changes to Revit's ability to work in a perspective view.

Help: Work in a Perspective View

You can also toggle a perspective view to orthographic/axonometric/Parallel 3D like you showed in the image of ArchiCAD?

toggle_view.png 

Work is continuing in this area as well, so we are listening to customers (at least on this one Smiley Happy ).  So again I am sorry if my original post came off as arrogant, that was not my intention.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 18 of 21
Keith_Wilkinson

What an extraordinary first 3 posts... 

I re-read Jeffs orginal reply and I'll be honest, I don't see it's arrogant or patronising in the slightest... but it's not uncommon on forums for things to be misinterpreted, either accidentally or intentionally.  I think some people just like to be upset.

I will confess though I do know a Vectorworks user so their numbers are definitely on the rise... 😉

As for the original request - it's not something I particularly feel a need for but that's not to say it wouldn't be useful.  🙂

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
Maimonides
Message 19 of 21
chrisplyler

@Anonymous wrote:

@chrisplyler wrote:

Sincerely,

Every Contractor Ever

chrisplyler, please read carefully before you comment, especially when you comment on behalf of all contractors. Who is talking about drawings? All I want is to have the option to view (please note - on the computer screen) the model in a Perspective view. In my opinion, it is much more natural to the eye and easier to work with. Is that too much to ask and how is this going to "litter" anything!?

zhezy - please read for comprehension before you comment. I understand what you want. I said I hope you get your wish. Then I added a request as an aside.

Message 20 of 21
rshanish

Traditional is a poor excuse.  New? Sketchup has been around for more than a decade, and formZ a decade before that.  I wouldn't call 20 years behind the times NEW.  Revit has some catching up to do in the visualization department, but not if Tool Stability suffers.  Revit has a fluidity problem to begin with, but that's just the complexity of how the tools are layered together with commands - in general it's pretty intuitive lots of the time.

But I agree, there is no excuse for Revit not to have perspective modeling, especially as VR AR systems come to the fore...

-r

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report