Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit Architecture Interface bug, issue, quirk, annoyance

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
XeroPhane
1539 Views, 12 Replies

Revit Architecture Interface bug, issue, quirk, annoyance

This problem is occuring in both 2012 and 2013.  I've extensively searched for anyone else who may have encountered this issue but have come up with zero results.  That's hard for me to believe so here it is...

Whenever I start up Revit (either version), this tiny floating window (see image below) is hanging out center-interface.  I can click the "X" to close it but it still comes up... every time.  Once I managed to dock it to the options bar and it's a sort of family switch; meaning, it will list, in a psuedo-drop-down box, the family and type of the selected object but there's no functionality beyond that.

I've ununstalled every Add-on (including Navisworks plugins) but the problem persisted (so I reinstalled Navisworks as hinted by the image).  It' not a problem per-se but it is certainly annoying... like having to shave your forehead every single morning before breakfast.

It may or may not be related that also the Project Browser and modeless Properties boxes also return back to the left-side docked, or at random times of the software's choosing, dead center... every time I load a file, or switch between files.  That's more like... well... it's vastly more annoying.  So each time, I move them undocked to my right-most screen until eventually deciding @#$% it and closing them altogether until I need them again.

Please save my computer else it may sail straight through the window soon.

Revit2012_13 floating wth

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
vector2
in reply to: XeroPhane

Before my computer would sail through the window I would

reformat the hard drive and start over. No chance for

anomalies to exist after that.

Message 3 of 13
XeroPhane
in reply to: vector2

Haha that's true... but if this were to happen to anyone I'm supporting, I imagine they'd look at me funny if my initial response was 'nuke and rebuild.'  The IT director might even catch wind... corporate politics.. blah blah blah

Message 4 of 13
vector2

@XeroPhane wrote:

"The IT director" 

Yeah I don't know what your situation is, except usually

you don't install an uninstall somebody elses' programs

like you said you did, and hopefully you don't throw

somebody elses' computer through the window.

That's why I said before "my computer" would sail through

the window. But I'm an independant contractor and I work

at home, so there's the difference. 

Message 5 of 13
rosskirby

Can you tell us which add-ins you have installed?  

You said you'd uninstalled and reinstalled all of them.  Did you open the program in between uninstalling/reinstalling them to see if the box had disappeared?  If so, that at least would narrow it down to being an add-in problem.

It could also be that you have conflicting add-ins, and two (or more) could be getting their wires crossed and creating this additional box.  

My guess is that you've got some kind of family-browser add-in, and it's trying to list available families, and is either having trouble communicating with Revit, your library, the file, or some combination of those things.  But without knowing which add-ins you've got installed, I can't say.

Also, the issue with the auto-re-docking of the properties and project browser palettes happens to a lot of people.  Even though you can detach and relocate them, Revit really doesn't like it when you do, especially if you've got a dual monitor setup, and the Revit window is on the non-dominant monitor (i.e. the one without the Start bar).  Either way, I don't believe that is related to your issue.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 6 of 13
XeroPhane
in reply to: rosskirby

The plugins installed were:  Tools4Revit, Family Browser, and those that come with Navisworks.  Outside of the Navisworks plugins you may be right about conflicting controls.  If so, how would one fix that outside of "clean" reinstall?

That's unfortunate about the Revit interface bit you mentioned.  While Revit is on my primary monitor, those windows are on the secondary.  It cleans up my screen so I have a larger area to work with and can scan a larger stretch of Properties and Project Browser at once.  Any fix in the works for this?

Thank you for your reply.

Message 7 of 13
rosskirby

I'm guessing it's the Tools4Revit and FamilyBrowser not cooperating somehow, since both include a way to navigate to families.  Or I could be completely wrong.  You might want to try emailing the creators of both add-ins to see if they've heard reports of problems like yours, or if they know of any solutions.

Regarding the whole mulitple-monitors/workspace problem, I feel your pain.  I just use my scroll wheel to zoom a lot.  It takes a little while to get used to working with a smaller workspace, but it's hardly the end of the world.  On things like that, I just don't have the time to fight it.  There are far more urgent problems (work related, not Revit related) that I have to spend my time on.

I don't know that there are any fixes in the works for this, but I do know that Autodesk is aware of the issue.  Personally, I'd rather have them fix the text editor, and nothing but the text editor, for the next release.  I would consider that a huge success.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 8 of 13
robincapperrcd
in reply to: rosskirby

Had that in 2012 without using either of those add-ins. Never did find the origin

Robin

AEC Collection & BIM 360 | Windows Surface Book & HP Z6 Workstation | Android Mobile

RobiNZ CAD Blog

Message 9 of 13
Joe.Charpentier

Sometimes your video card driver's "Window Manager"  software can cause this kind of issue.

If you have an ATI card, try disabling Hydravision.

If you have an nVidia card, try disabling nView desktop manager.

I don't think you should reformat your computer, you can probably fix this.

Joe

Message 10 of 13
XeroPhane
in reply to: Joe.Charpentier

Brilliant!  I think you may be onto something so I'm going to look into this further.

This machine has an ATI card but Hydravision is already disabled.  However, in the same tone as your theory, I looked into other "managers" and disabled Monitor EDID, then to correct everything I enabled GPU scaling.  It's a shot in the dark, I know but we'll see how it goes.

Next, I opened Revit.  No floating window!  I started a new project (for test), opened Properties and Project Browser and moved them off to the side where I like them.  Next I started a new RFA, everything good.  Switched through views, still ok.  I closed the new project and family, then closed Revit.  After restarting Revit, everything was in-tact as I had left it.

I'll update if anything changes or if I find a more certain solution.

Thanks!!

Message 11 of 13
daniel.gijsbers

Hi,

I have the same thing as you do in my screen. 

I think it's one of the extensions that causes this because first I didn't have it in 2013 and later it does.

I have been able to dock the thing.

http://danielgijsbers.blogspot.com/
and
http://civil2revit.blogspot.com/
Message 12 of 13
ggpedraza

Hi,

I've had the same problem. I think, in my case, it was caused for a 3D Connexion mouse.  I recently update it to beta 12 driver. Before that, I think I had ever seen the mysterious floating window. Other things I've done to solve it has been to unistall almost all Revit plugins I had and manually clean any trace of them on C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Revit 2013\Program\AddIns, C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\Revit\Addins, C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Revit\Addins and other paths (also remaining folders of previous 2012 version and registry entries of 2012 too). After doing this and restart the OS, the window has disappear.

Anyway, as I said, I think the problem was the 3D Connexion mouse.

Hope this helps.

Sorry for my poor English.

Regards.

Message 13 of 13
ggpedraza
in reply to: ggpedraza

As someone said, I think the problem is related, in my case, with an ATI card (a FirePro V7800). Changing the 3D configuration makes the windows appear or disappear.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report