Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit Architecture for MAC

40 REPLIES 40
Message 1 of 41
Anonymous
18232 Views, 40 Replies

Revit Architecture for MAC

Is there a high likelihood that Autodesk will make a Revit Architecture solely to run on a MAC OSX? 

Plenty of users (professionals & students) would love to have it, since MACs are highly efficient and growing in popularity.

Tags (1)
40 REPLIES 40
Message 21 of 41
ArchiCADefektor
in reply to: rosskirby

Hilarious!! Smiley Very Happy

I'm considering moving from ArchiCAD for the following reasons:

1. Rising popularity/demand for Revit skills in my industry
  2. Impressed with what I've seen demonstrated
  3. The ArchiCAD stair tool still leaves a lot to be desired, even after 15 versions
Message 22 of 41
ArchiCADefektor
in reply to: Anonymous

Revit development team: This is an issue that is NOT going away, and will continue to increase.

Mac users are not just 'fringe dwellers' anymore - we are design industry professionsals with an eye for good software solutions to compliment our design workflow.

MAC Revit NOW!! (Meanwhile, I'll keep using ArchiCAD - the only serious BIM package available for Mac)

Message 23 of 41
JHIGAI
in reply to: ArchiCADefektor

Mac REVIT NOW !!!  😉

i like that idea Smiley Happy

Message 24 of 41
JHIGAI
in reply to: rosskirby

Well from my point of view, i rather keep using the unperfect railling and stairs and stop having to reboot my mac anytime i need to send an email, or run photoshop...

and by the way, i heard the stairs tool also sucks on Archicad 😉

Message 25 of 41
Anonymous
in reply to: RGrandmaison

" but at least it'll look real pretty on that sexy apple display!" HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

that was good

Message 26 of 41
Hevek

Just registered so I could add our voice. We're hoping very much that Revit will come to the Mac with a native Mac-optimised interface too.

Our office uses Vectorworks and we're concerned that the past 5 years of development has under deliivered on the intelligent modelling front; we're still stuck in a 2D workflow because we can't afford all the freeform modelling workarounds VW demands (due to half-baked features), along with its woeful team work capabilities.

Some people on this thread have displayed puzzlement that Mac users might choose their hardware first and then their software. But it's not as straight forward as that. We are a Mac-only office and subsequently have extremely low IT management overheads, because the machines practically run themselves, including servers (in fact they're near zero when you take updates/upgrades out of the equation). This is due to Mac OS X (which is software) and its tight integration with the hardware. We're not giving that up.

Message 27 of 41
Hevek

On the topic of stair tools I like approach Cadimage take, allowing you to directly model the stair instead of using a dialogue box:

http://www.cadimageworld.com/tools/design/stairs

Check out the various videos.

Message 28 of 41
Anonymous

Couldn’t resist adding my two cents worth.

I love my mac (at home) and wouldn’t consider going back to windows. I also love Revit, and would love to see it running natively on a mac, but will it happen, who knows.

With the introduction of citrix functionality in 2012 maybe the call for Revit for mac is a bit of a moot point. You run your PC I’ll run my mac and we can both hook into the server and be happy in our own environment! That’s certainly what our firm is looking towards, virtual desktops where and when you need it. Revit on an ipad…. should be fun!

In the meantime I don’t think I would ever seriously consider running Revit though any half-baked method on my mac. I currently accept that my home life is mac and I leave windows and Revit at work.

Message 29 of 41
jacobgann

@Anonymous wrote:

"Oh no he didn't just go there. Sorry dude but you'll probably get a swarm of smackdown from the mac users our there."

You know I was looking for a samckdown. I could not resist. 

I haven't upgraded my MS office in 10 years! Serious, we're on Office 2000. 

And we don't spend $1000 on our pc's. I haven't spent more than $500 for the last few. I do get to re-use my monitors though! It seems better to just buy that 1-year old technology most of the time.

I once loved the apple too. But the application software dried up right around Windows 98/2000 and it was never the same after that...

foot in mouth.  Apple has emerged as a clear leader.  Microsoft is struggling with where to take there flagship product, Windows.  And the public is begining to question why they are still putting up with the Windows condition (at least at home).

not really up for debate.  lifecycle costs on an all OS X office are far (far) lower that one using Windows/MS.  even if you choose inferior recycled hardware.  crunch the numbers, opinion doesn't matter here.  the costs associated with windows have nothing to do with how cheap the hardware was to purchase (wtf are you doing running Revit on the cheapest hardware you can find?  these softwares are the reason workstation grade hardware exists!!).  it seems that you actually missed the point.  it's the maintainence of the Windows environment that is outrageously expensive.  I'm not buying the hardware or brand from Apple; I'm buying the reliability and support.  

If you're trying to argue that not upgrading is a solution for saving money, then thank you captain obvious.  I wouldn't really call it a solution as it is simply ignoring an issue that will stare you in the face everyday.

There is a massive catalogue of software for the Mac OS.  Almost anything that you can run on Windows (except Revit and 3DS Max!).  Apps are usually a far better quality of craft as well, like the person writing and designing the software was (ya know) a designer.

This is now clearly a matter of time after hearing Carl Bass talk about the future of Autodesk and all their current iOS offerings.  They think they will go to the cloud.  I disagree, I think this is too heavy of work to do from a cloud.  I think there will be a Revit for Mac in the next 2 years (maybe Max too).  I won't go in to how much the Mac will change in the next two years though ( should be a different landscape by then ).  Hurry Autodesk!  It's much easier to update code than to write it from scratch.  You only have to do it once.  We believe in you.  Come on.  You can do it.  Yep, just like that ..  objective c.   Go! Now!  Quit waiting.

Message 30 of 41
Anonymous
in reply to: jacobgann

I just hate windows because Interenet Explorer is the worst invention ever...this coming from somebody who also creates websites. Windows 8 doesn't even follow W3 HTML standards. Why microsoft?

But on the topic, Macs are the best and Revit for Mac would be amazing!

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 31 of 41
Hevek

It's not a good sign that there are no rumours.

We're considering switching from Vectorworks to ArchiCAD or Revit but we don't want to switch to WIndows. Thing is we really need to be rolling by 2016 (because of government procurement timelines) so this puts quite a bit of pressure on us to go with ArchiCAD.

I give it a year or two and if Vectorworks hasn't upped its game we'll probably switch to ArchiCAD. Unless Revit is out on Mac.

Come on Autodesk, stop ringing us up asking if we want to switch to Autocad! We want to switch to Revit!

Message 32 of 41
jwieronski84
in reply to: Hevek

Another option is go to the cloud.  Lease a workstation in the cloud and put Revit on it.  Then you can run it on a MAC or PC.

Message 33 of 41
nickbaxter

I agree, it is not a good sign that there are no rumors for a MAC version of Revit. I think Autodesk is looking into making their software web based so that it is cross platform. It is a nice idea, but I don't see it hapening. 

Archicad is still better than vectorworks, though it has it's own set of problems like needing to code to create paramentric object, making changes to anything is not global so if you make a change to something like a window or wall you need to find every instance and make the same change to all of them, and archicad is still very 2D oriented allowing you to cheat the BIM model by mixing 2D and 3D elements.

Revit allows you to make global changes quickly, graphically create objects (families) using work planes and dimensions, and is very 3D oriented prevening you to cheat in 2D. The other nice thing about Revit is that it has no layers to manage! A wall is a wall, a window is a window, and there is no need to identify what layer they go on. 

Revit has it's own set of problems but is still much more powerful and intuitive than both Archicad and vectorworks.

I am a die hard MAC fan, but I like Revit more than I hate windows. Archicad is a viable solution, but it will take some intense training to really learn the software, even then, it is prone to errors (like Autocad is prone to errors). Revit is very intuitive and virtually error free. Revit will require training, but it is intuitive enough that you can use the software for a couple months, being productive with it, before you ever get any training. Archicad requires A LOT more training, and will require training before you are able to be productive with it. 

Unfortunatly, Archicad to me is in no way MAC-like. It is not intuitive, the user interface is terrible, there are hundres of confusing buttons and pallets, and it is taking something that should be simple and overcomplicating it.

Revit to me is very MAC-like but it is PC only. It is intuitive and the user interface is slick and simple. Like any buisiness class software, there are a lot of ins and outs and you'll never stop learing, but they make it easy to learn.

Message 34 of 41
Hevek
in reply to: nickbaxter

Thanks Nick, that's handy feedback on Archicad vs. Revit. I've used Archicad and bit and have to agree whole-heartedly on the myriad of buttons problem.

Message 35 of 41
Hevek

Message 36 of 41
Hevek
Message 37 of 41
edward_saota

#RevitForMac

Message 38 of 41
Anonymous

nesesito intalarle autocad a mi pc es una powerbookG4 quien me puede ayudar 

Message 39 of 41
Anonymous

Unix based, VERY OLD?

AHAHAHAHHAHA funny! OSX's base plataform, which byw is based on BSD is new as one can get. Windows in fact is the one old and "demode" . Windows has a nasty back-compatibility that goes back almost 30 yrs. There is code inside of it from the 80's!!! hahaha

Revit is not available for OSX for lack of interest from Autodesk. Any, I repeat, ANY program in the UNIVERSE can be ported to ANY architeture as well as to ANY platform inside that architeture.

If it is not been done,, is either lack of will, or lack of knowhow.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 40 of 41
Anonymous

Incredible, most ppl love to make not start comments.

The other goes to say that first you get software, then hardware. Yeah, I'll buy gas, then I'll choose what car that goes with it. Very start....

Macs are LOVED by those that use because, with a very few exceptions, SIMPLY IS BETTER! Period. It has MORE QUALITY!

And I say that not as a user that has bought a few laptops in my life, but I say that as a former RMA agent for a company that use to sell 20k laptops montly. And guess what, I was the one responsible for the RMA of them all.

MACs HAVE BETTER QUALITY -> .  

It lasts WAY LONGER. Now the system comparsion is a even bigger joke. Windows is a HORRIBLE, patched and fixed to oblivion plataform. It gets viruses in a regular base, it gets bloated and slow over time.

I always have been a linux guy, and I remember my first mac.After 16 months using it, I timed the boot time for instance. It was the very same time I got when I open the box for the first time.

This is my PROFESSIONAL position. Mac IS better.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report