Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit Architecture for MAC

40 REPLIES 40
Message 1 of 41
akpierc
18225 Views, 40 Replies

Revit Architecture for MAC

Is there a high likelihood that Autodesk will make a Revit Architecture solely to run on a MAC OSX? 

Plenty of users (professionals & students) would love to have it, since MACs are highly efficient and growing in popularity.

Tags (1)
40 REPLIES 40
Message 2 of 41
jodyb17
in reply to: akpierc

I know we wish we could get Revit for Macs in our office.

Message 3 of 41
edward_saota
in reply to: jodyb17

Yes - fully agree on this one - Autodesk seriously need to consider Mac ..and soon!

Message 4 of 41
jwieronski84

I agree, it would be great to have Revit for a MAC but do you think they will do it when there is Parallels?  However, I'll be the first to get Revit for a MAC!

Message 5 of 41
akpierc
in reply to: jwieronski84

They did AutoCAD for MAC and they had it for parallels... Hopefully if enough people want it to happen, Autodesk will do something about it!

Message 6 of 41
jwieronski84

Let's spread the word!  Make Revit for a MAC or we'll switch to ArchiCAD!

Message 7 of 41
edward_saota

There's no need to spread the word.. it is already like that - have mac.. will use archicad

Message 8 of 41
jodyb17

We run on Parallels in the office, but it adds another layer of complexity to the end user experience, both in terms of program usage and deployment. It also adds complexity to the worksharing process when hosting projects on an OS X server environment.

Revit running natively in the Mac OS would greatly increase our produtivity.

Message 9 of 41
wolfmp7

I am incredibly grateful for Autocad on the Macintosh platform:  THANK YOU AUTODESK for that!  However: it is logical that REVIT ought to be available on Mac.  Interior Designers, Arhcitects, all would like to use REVIT on their MAC's!  And REALLY parallels is horribly annoying even on a Mac Pro (I wasted the money for that program).  It is also annoying to have to use bootcamp for revit when I have photoshop and Autocad on the Mac partition.  I do not think it is to outrageous to say AUTOdesk--GET ON BOARD WITH THE MAC FOR YOUR SOFTWARE!  We are nearlly at 2012 and the world of art and engineering are merging!  For Autodesk to stay on top and help drive the industry further is to do a comprehensive shift to make Mac versions for REVIT, AUTOCAD (already done--thank you), and 3Ds Max, as well as your entire body of exciting software.  Also work out a merger with Adobe so that we could purchase all-encompassing suites that seemlessly integrate with each other.  Autocad and Revit printing would be beautifully integrated with some of the printing and organization qualities found in Adobe: InDesign

Message 10 of 41
rosskirby

Keep dreaming, guys.  First, how about we let them get handrails and stairs to work, then we'll let them focus on expanding to other platforms.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 11 of 41
marcelolcsouza

While I wait, I use Archicad 14. But I hoped that the 2012 version was for Mac too.

Message 12 of 41
hsmithmille

we are a medium sized architectural design firm and have decided to abandon all our windows workstations in favor of the new sandy bridge I-MAC's soon to be available.  We wish to run all our programs natively on the MACs but Revit is not available for the MAC platform.  While REVIT may be an industry standard its availability only on the Windows platform may soon make it a true dinosaur as the new I-MAC's take more of the market share. 

Message 13 of 41
vector2

OSx is a variation of UNIX- it's very old computer technology.. sorry MAC lovers- but truth is truth..

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 14 of 41
jacobgann
in reply to: marcelolcsouza

Windows is old too.  Why isn't it more stable yet?  Keep looking for Revit for Mac.  I know I will.  The volume of computers running the Macintosh OS will do nothing but increase.  It's obvious by the numbers that it is gaining.ground.  I just hope the right people are noticing this outcry.  I want to see the whole Autodesk suite on OSX.  Adobe does it... c'mon Autodesk, you are behind the curve.

Message 15 of 41
nickbaxter
in reply to: edward_saota

Your right, have mac...will use ArchiCAD. Have Revit for Mac...will use Revit. I use both and Revit is a no-brainer just as Mac is a no-brainer. Thus the big dilemma. 

Message 16 of 41
bt1138

You MAC guys need to seriously get over the hardware fixation. 

You pick the software, then you pick the hardware. It's all the same now (except Macs still cost more apples to apples (snicker)). 

Everytime Adesk has done a Mac product it has been pretty sad. Back when I was a Cupertino Cult Member, we had Acad for MAC R12, and that sucked so bad, you would not believe it. And now Acad on MAC again, but NO Acad for Architecture, and missing features to boot. No Design Review, No Navisworks, on and on.

Revit costs like what, $5,000 a seat plus upgrades. This is way more than cost of hardware. 

You are really missing the picture. If you like Revit, just go down to Best Buy and pick up a loaded PC for under $1,000 and you're done. And then you have your apple computer for your ILIFE. Except then you can run all kinds of strange software on the PC that isn't available for the Mac. And then...

Message 17 of 41
nickbaxter
in reply to: bt1138

Oh no he didn't just go there. Sorry dude but you'll probably get a swarm of smackdown from the mac users our there.

I was an OS9 user back when Autodesk has products for the mac. OS9 and most of the applications for it were pitiful. But you're mentioning a product that was available 10 years ago. 10 years ago most software was pretty pitiful. When OS9 was out, I had no preference over MAC or PC. Once OSX came, I quickly became hooked on OSX.

Your argument has holes. A mac is cheaper when you consider lifetime costs. A decent iMac with i5 quad core and 4Gb of ram costs $1200. This machine will easily last 6-8 years, I stretch my macs for about 8 years just fine though. OS upgrades are $29 and you can opt to skip versions. The iWorks suite (office equivalent) is $30 for new or upgrades and you can skip versions. There is no need for acrobat pro because Preview can do most of the common tasks Acrobat pro can do. Not to mention a better UI, it is more intuitive, it doesn't crash, it manages multi-processing really well, it is 64-bit only and hundreds of other benefits. Total costs over 8 years for everything but photoshop and Revit will run you about $1,700 if you maintain the current software for most applications every year. 

Now you say you can pick up a PC for under $1000, lets say $800 and we'll disregard the fact that most desktops will need a monitor to go with that. Now every time you upgrade Office and Windows it'll set you back around $400 for both. Not to mention I need a paid PDF app to rearrange and edit PDFs and create PDFs. I need a program to take screenshots in less that 5 minutes, and I've gotta buy a new machine every 2-4 years before it craps out or slows down. By the time you buy two machines and upgrade only once, you've just shelled out $2,000 without any monitors, speakers, or Acrobat Pro.

Our office spends more money of microsoft crap than it ever would on mac equipment and software. Also don'f forget that next month, Apple is selling their full blown server software for $49. You can buy any mac machine you want and turn it into a server for an extra $49. That sure beats spending several thousands on MS server software and then more thousands a server itself. Their server software allows you to turn anyone's workstation into a server, so you can hit two birds with one stone there too.

Not only does apple have better software, fewer viruses, higher quality hardware, and the highest customer service of any tech company in history, despite everyone's preconceptions, they are less expensive solution with a more user friendly and stable experience.

Message 18 of 41
nickbaxter

We all know that Archicad is not the best BIM tool. It is very hard to learn, you cannot make global changes, many things are non associative, you have to be a rocket scientist to create parametric families, you have to deal with layers and managing them, you have to check all your schedules for accuracy, and you have to make changes to each element individually or update each element individually if the properties change, it is terrible at dealing with built up walls, sweeps, or showing and aligning the layers of a wall and the list goes on and on. Archicad is as terrible as AutoCAD. Those who use Revit understand how easy it is to make changes, learn, create families, and put together accurate 3D models and CDs quickly with no mistakes. I love Mac and I love Revit. I just want them to join together without having Windows in the way. Is that too much to ask?

Message 19 of 41
bt1138

"Oh no he didn't just go there. Sorry dude but you'll probably get a swarm of smackdown from the mac users our there."

You know I was looking for a samckdown. I could not resist. 

I haven't upgraded my MS office in 10 years! Serious, we're on Office 2000. 

And we don't spend $1000 on our pc's. I haven't spent more than $500 for the last few. I do get to re-use my monitors though! It seems better to just buy that 1-year old technology most of the time.

I once loved the apple too. But the application software dried up right around Windows 98/2000 and it was never the same after that...

Message 20 of 41
RGrandmaison

I believe that Mac users love their machines. Obsessively so at times. I do think that Apple makes great products. I'd love to have an Apple that would run AutoCAD/Revit/3DSMax/Whatever as well as a Windows PC does...but I don't like the idea of splitting my resources for using a dual bootcamp approach or the approach of buying/using/splitting resources for parallels either. I think the only way to ever get me to buy a Mac will be when Autodesk seems vested in repeatedly and predictably releasing current software natively written to take full advantage of the Mac hardware and operating system...and not as a test balloon of some sort like it seems with AutoCAD (not even the current release) for the Mac.

I also believe that Autodesk doesn't dislike the Mac. In fact, they're probably love to have their software ONLY available on the Mac as it would lessen their service and support issues. SO many of the problems PC's encounter are due to conflicts in drivers from somewhat incompatible or conflicting devices. It makes it VERY tough to troubleshoot issues when there are SO many variables in the mix. From what the developers I know have told me Apple's smart and has limited their use of devices on the hardware end so they have far fewer troubles. So, Autodesk would potentially benefit from that line of limited thinking. BUT, the consumer certainly wouldn't. Windows tries to be more flexible with the devices it can incorporate and that's part of it's Achille's heel. So, don't blame Autodesk for their not being a native OS port for Revit.

Blame Apple really. If they sold their OS in a box that you could buy down at Best Buy for $200 and install in a home built system there might be a much higher demand for software in the Apple native OS port. Of course, then Apple too would likely suffer from the very same types of issues Windows (security, crashes, etc.) does as well.

In the meanwhile, just buy a Mac....and buy a Windows box....and a Monitor A/B switch...use the Windows box for Revit and just flip the A/B switch to your Mac monitor and just pretend you're running Revit on your Mac. Sure, you may have hiccups and the occasional glitch but at least it'll look real pretty on that sexy apple display!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report