Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit Architecture 2014 Essentials Book

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1129 Views, 5 Replies

Revit Architecture 2014 Essentials Book

Hi, I am just starting to work through the turorials in the Essentials book, I have also downloaded the chapter files to accompany the book.

When it comes to opening the default Architecture template I can't find any of the the Generic Wall family when I select Wall, Edit Type, System family: Basic Wall and then look in the Type Drop Down menu.

When I open one of the files I downloaded to accompany the book, I can indeed select a Generic Wall type.

I have gone through all the default templates, I have repaired and updated my software, which I'm assuming the Autodesk Application Manager does automatically anyway.

Still can't find the Generic Wall Family, is it possible I have lost this file during installation? As a beginner I would think it is something I have done, when I open a template I save as another file name straight away, to ensure I do not alter the default template files.

If I have altered the template files is there anywhere I can download them?

Thanks

Si

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
ennujozlagam
in reply to: Anonymous

hi maybe this can help you.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-architecture/revit-2014-default-families-templates-not-installin...

Remember : without the difficult times in your LIFE, you wouldn't be who you are today. Be grateful for the good and the bad. ANGER doesn't solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything...
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: ennujozlagam

Thankyou I will try what is suggested but I think it is a bit weird, I did a clean install of 2014 again, removed all the referenceas to 2014 in the registry as prescribed in another thread, removed all the recommended folders, still had the same problem, so as a student I thought I would install 2015 as they are two standalone pices of software, I have the same problem with 2015, no generic wall family, so I think that this problem goes a bit deeper somewhere, will try what is recommended in the thread you suggest for 2014 first.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Still no generic wall family, turned all antivirus and fire wall off, uninstalled Uk Content Pack, rebooted, turned off firewall and anti virus, added UK content and US imperial and metric content as well (thought it may be that I was just installing UK metric content pack), Update successfull, reboot, open 2014 application, architectural and construction default templates still do not contain generic wall family!1 This is starting to get tiresome, surely there must be other people who have experienced this problem and solved it?

Message 5 of 6
Chris.Aquino

At this time, there are no genenic walls in the UK temaplates.

From the screenshots, it looks like you are clicking the Architectural Template link on the Recent Files page. This will open the default arch template specified in the Revit Options (which is still most likely the UK Template).

To use other templates go to Application Menu (big R) > New > Browse > Up one Level > US Imperial (or US Metric) and use any of the templates there.

Here is a video:

https://screencast.autodesk.com/main/details/d3a478af-4549-4cbc-8257-30a251d24479

Chris Aquino
Adoption Marketing Manager | BIM Collaborate Pro
@Aquinotecture

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Chris.Aquino

Thankyou, hearing that there are no generic walls in UK Templates, architecture/construction (apart from the ones I found in the structural template) makes me feel a lot better, thought I was going mad!!

So to sumarise:

Having added the US Imperial and Metric content packs using:

Control Panel

Programs and Features, select specific AutoCad program (Revit 2014 for me)

Uninstall/Change 

Autodesk Revit 2014 pop up

Add or Remove features, check tick box US Imperial and US Metric to add content packs

Follow On Screen Prompts to finish installation.

NOTE: What I did find was another POP Up "Preparing Revit Content" this seemed to hang for a long time previously, but  found that totally disablng my firewall and anti virus software avoide this overly long "hang".

I can now access the templates that the book I am reading specifies.

All in all, thankyou very much for your help on this matter.

What this scenario does highlight is the indiscrepencies between US and UK users (may be other regions) of Autodesk products who are using self teaching manuals, published by Autodesk and its affiliates.

As a new UK user of Autodesk products it gets very frustrating when you are following guide lines for a specific product and regional/global variances hinder progression.

Is it not time for teaching materials to be country specific? Or at the least a few pages in these manuals explaing that there may be some issues when following instructions word for word and that some latitude is required or a small explanation.

As a US product I can see why all literature is based around the US market but as a Uk citizen who has invested a lot of money in teaching journals, it would have been nice to be able to use literature specific to my region/needs.

As another Note, the screen I was using to select templates was not recent files, it was the templates that are displayed on startup when no project has been opened.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report