Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit Architecture 2013

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
eric.legane
12629 Views, 8 Replies

Revit Architecture 2013

Hi All,

good morning, as per request and client frustration, asking how is it that Revit Architecture is on time usage.

Impossible to save-as to old revit version, this is an important change that Autodesk must review with developers, many of our clients are frustrated and not happy.

Example big projects where Architects use Revit 2012, other Structural Engineers that use Revit Structure 2008, who didn't renew are stuck.

I understand the issue of subscription that primarily we use to convince all clients to renew, so they are forced to redraw on using AutoCAD 2012 to be able to co-ordinate site drawings update.

So, may be Autodesk team should review and add this on future versions. 

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Hi,

you landed in the AutoCAD 2012-Forum, far away from >>>Revit<<< 😉

And if you look to the list of forums based on Revit you will also find >>>the one for wishes<<< 😉

Have a nice day, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 9
augidomeo
in reply to: eric.legane

I don't think so,
because cannot develop software.
If purchasing annual updates, not significant.
Your partner could not be receiving new data from revit new version, then they will get through the IFC. 😄

dotuanhanh.blogspot.com
Message 4 of 9
bward

The fact that Revit is not backwards compatible is THE best feature of the software. I don't have to worry about consultants requesting files in Revit 2008. Those who are not willing to stay up with the latest technology should go back to CAD I have been using Revit since 8.1 and have never had a problem with upgrading projects. For their part, Autodesk has done a good good of ensuring that the software they put out is tested and beneficial. I would rather pay maintenance cost to make sure I have the latest features then us a software that is 4 years old. Financially you would have to hold on to a piece of software 8 years in order for the non-subscription method to work. Think of what has changes in Revit in the past 5 years alone. BIM and the process of BIM has no room for those designers, contractors or owners that are not willing to stay up with the technology. Just as a building requires maintenance, so do the virtual buildings that BIM represents. Autodesk, NEVER given in to short sighted individuals and make Revit backwards comparable. What a nightmare that would be.
Message 5 of 9
quyng

We upgraded from Revit 2011 to Revit 2012 and experienced crashes on large project. Autodesk Subscription did not come up with a solution (hotfix) until about 6 months later. While I am not in favor of backwards compatible, they really need to make the upgrade process better and without bugs; that was very detrimental to our team performance.

Message 6 of 9
bward
in reply to: quyng

Looking back on my last post on this tread I must have had a bad day or something with that manifesto. Sorry.

The largest projects we work on are under 200 MB. Just curious, with your large projects, do you have multiple disciplines in one model or do you break them up and link? We currently have models for each discipline, but I could see some advantages to a single model if geography and file size where not issues.

Message 7 of 9
quyng
in reply to: bward

We have several projects with 400-500 MB just for buildout/interior architecture. With Revit 2012 and prior, you cannot have all the disciplines per se in one model. That is ArchiCAD's philosphy. We even go further and separate the Shell/Core from the Buildout model. All other disciplines have individual models as well. This aids in the clash detection and walkthrough exercise as well.

In Revit 2013, I "heard" that you have all the discipline's feature in one program. Inevitably, someone will try to put all disciplines in one file. I suppose this will work with smaller projects, and you will have real time collaboration. But on large projects, our current desktop technology may not be able to handle the file size. Addditionally, Revit needs a more extensive administration piece before you can orderly have all disciplines working in the same model.

Message 8 of 9
bward
in reply to: quyng

Thanks for the input. We are currently testing Revit in a Citrix environment to solve the location and hardware issue related to larger files. I agree with you that there are more than technological issues preventing a unified model from happening.

Message 9 of 9
quyng
in reply to: bward

We have Revit on our Citrix system and have also used Revit in the cloud. The limitation is cost and the way Autodesk does licensing. Instead of Revit Server between offices, we used Citrix and it worked out great from within the organization. We have not had the opportunity to get consultants involved in the cloud due to the issues mentioned.

I am a supporter of linked files instead of a unified file like ArchiCAD. There is simply too many trades and discipline that can potential utilize the information in the building that it becomes a mute point to have just one model for all discipline. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report