Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit Architecture 2013 - Door Family Creation

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
scotttyler
1680 Views, 7 Replies

Revit Architecture 2013 - Door Family Creation

I am creating a custom door family and I am having some issues.  I am trying to create a custom family with hollow metal door frames that allow for a varied head frame thickness.  I wish to have an instance property that will allow for either a 2" or a 4" hollow metal frame head for either stud or masonry wall insertion.  I created the frame using a sweep (I think this may have been my problem) but I'm not sure how to correct it.  Can anyone out there help??  I have attached a copy of the family so you can see what I have done.

Also having trouble making various types of this family for the different door sizes.  for some reason I can't get it to work with the different sizes.  Help!!!!

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
scotttyler
in reply to: scotttyler

I can't seem to get it to allow me to adjust the head thickness. 

Message 3 of 8
Jason_S

Try the attached modified version you uploaded.

I created three sweeps.  One on each side and one at the top that allow it to grow as you change the height.

Hope this helps you out and gives you something close to what you want.

Message 4 of 8
Jason_S

@scotttyler wrote:

Also having trouble making various types of this family for the different door sizes.  for some reason I can't get it to work with the different sizes.  Help!!!!

Thanks

Missed this part of the message on my first read.

See the attached Try Three door family.  You should be able to change the Door Width, Door Height, Frame Width to any size.

Let me know how it goes and if you need additional help.

Message 5 of 8
scotttyler

Thanks for the help!  I did finally create a family with the three sweeps but I will look at yours to see how you did it to account for the varied head heights

Thanks again

Message 6 of 8
scotttyler

I tried to insert this family into my model and I get the following error, "Ca't make type "Hollow Metal Door Family"  it further says that the item can not be viewed in the plan level view and therefore can not be created.  Something about the visibility settings.  I'm confused.  I have other doors inthe plan view that show up fine.  Why not this one?  Is it something in the family? I have looked everywhere that I know & can't find anything that would turn visibility off in this view.

Message 7 of 8
scotttyler

I figured it out.  I have been going back and forth into the family to look at the visibility settings and for some reason it was not saving the changes I made to the family.  So when I reloaded it into the project it did not update or change anything.  Finally, for some reason it did save my changes and noew it works.  go figure!

Thanks for everyone's help

Merry Christmas to all!

Message 8 of 8
rosskirby

Glad you got it to work, so I'll just offer a quick tip on family creation: consider how the actual object is put together, and model accordingly.

In a Hollow metal frame, there are two identical jamb pieces, each with the same profile, and a header, with a variable profile, depending on context.  To me, that would suggest two profile families (with nested detail components) and two sweeps.  One sweep for the jambs (because they're always the same length, no need for two separate sweeps) and one for the header.  After the geometry is created, join the two objects, since they're always going to be the same material.

Hope that was helpful.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report