Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

REVIT ARCH HELP - Apply metal roofing panel to existing roof

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1966 Views, 5 Replies

REVIT ARCH HELP - Apply metal roofing panel to existing roof

Hi guys, 

I have a project that I have to present tomorrow and I am very new to Revit Architecture

I have drawn my sloped roof (by footprint) and all I need to do is apply this metal roofing panel material.

Please help guys, I need to present this ASAP!!!

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
rosskirby
in reply to: Anonymous

Can you clarify what you're trying to do?  Do you just want to:

1. apply a surface pattern that represents the corrugated material?  
  2. have it render as if the roof is made of that material?  
  3. actually model the surface of the roof so that it is corrugated?

The answers to each of those three questions are different, and increasingly complex and/or time-consuming.

1. Edit the roof material and create a new surface model pattern with parallel lines a few inches apart.  Keep in mind that as you zoom out, those lines will "converge" and your roof will appear to be a solid gray halftone.
  2. Similar to (1), but with the added step of creating an appearance attribute with associated bump map to create the actual corrugation.  Note that the corrugation will only appear in a rendering, not in a live view of the model.
  3. Several different methods to skin this cat, but the fastest by far is to create a horizontal curtain wall family and define the mullions with the corrugation profile.  Do a search on clay tile roofs in Revit and follow those instructions.  The process is similar, regardles of whether it's a clay tile or a corrugated panel.

Hope that helps.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: rosskirby

Thank you so much for your reply, I am actually trying to model the surface to represent the corrugated metal panels.

So that would your #3;

Is there an easy way for me to already use the rvt file of the corrugated panels I have and transform it into a curtain wall family?

I'm watching this video on clay tile roofing right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-1NnkFC3fU

Thank you very much once again!

Message 4 of 6
rosskirby

That depends on how the corrugated panel family you have is modeled.  You might be able to create a new curtain panel family and next the corrugated panel family in it, although it might be easier to just extrude a corrugated panel profile inside a new curtain panel family and use that.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: rosskirby

I'm sorry, I have been trying to figure out how to do it, but I'm having a bit of difficulty understanding the process.

So for me to make my roof surface corrugated, I first have to make the roof "sloped glazing" then how I apply the curtain panel, what command do I click on to select the curtain panel family?

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Heres the msg that pops up when I try to apply my custom corrugated panel to my now glaze slopped roof.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report