Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2017 Material Path

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
SamuelAB
58370 Views, 11 Replies

Revit 2017 Material Path

The problem started when all my materials went missing. Any material in the default Revit project with a texture did not have a texture.

So I finally found where the materials are hidden, there is no easy way to find this information online as Revit materials seem to change directory every few years. The materials are hidden here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Materials\Textures\1\Mats

The materials are available when I add this directory to the "render Appearance Path".

Now the problem is that Revit removes this path every time it closes and re-opens.

Is there a way to fix this? Is this know issue or is it only affecting a few users? How can we make sure Revit 2017 remembers the path to its own material library without the need to re-enter this obscure path every single time Revit opens?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Revit_Whisperer
in reply to: SamuelAB

It should add an entry in your rsn.ini file as shown below.  Make sure that your rsn.ini file in this location isn't set to read only, and/or that you have permission to change it.  It is located here:  C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\Revit\Autodesk Revit 201#

MaterialLibraryFiles=..\Data\Rendering
IESFileLocation=C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\3dsMax 2015\IES\
LookupTableLocation=C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\3dsMax 2015\Lookup Tables\
RootPathForPointClouds=C:\Users\spittman\Documents\PointClouds
ExternalParameters=G:\_Support Testing\_S_Testing\MEP Shared Parameters.txt
ImportIFCTemplate=..\..\..\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2015\Templates\US Imperial\Construction-Default.rte
AdditionalRenderAppearancePaths=..\..\..\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Materials\Textures\1\Mats\

Message 3 of 12
SamuelAB
in reply to: Revit_Whisperer

Hi Whisperer!

This seems like the right answer, but it is not working. There are also a few discrepancies.

I found a file called "Revit.ini" in this directory.

The parameters you mention are not present in there.

I tried placing the directory in the following location of the file

"

[DirectoriesENU]
FamilyTemplatePath=C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2017\Family Templates\English\
DataLibraryLocations=Metric Library=C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2017\Libraries\Canada\,Metric Detail Library=C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2017\Libraries\Canada\Detail Items
DefaultTemplate=Construction Template=C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2017\Templates\Canada\Construction-DefaultUS-Canada.rte, Architectural Template=C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2017\Templates\Canada\DefaultUS-Canada.rte, Structural Template=C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2017\Templates\Canada\Structural Analysis-DefaultCANENU.rte, Mechanical Template=C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2017\Templates\Canada\Mechanical-Default_Metric.rte
AdditionalRenderAppearancePaths=C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Materials\Textures\1\Mats\

"

Revit materials are still not found when i open Revit.

Please let me know if you can think of any way forward from this.

Thank you!

Message 4 of 12
john.vellek
in reply to: SamuelAB

Hi @SamuelAB,

This is how it looks in my Revit.ini file:

[Revit.ini]
[Colors]
[Directories]
ProjectPath=%USERPROFILE%\Documents\
ImportLineweightsNameDWG=C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Revit 2017\Data\importlineweights-dwg-default.txt
IESFileLocation=C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2017\IES\
LookupTableLocation=C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2017\Lookup Tables\
ExternalParameters=
AdditionalRenderAppearancePaths=..\..\..\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Materials\Textures\1\Mats
[DirectoriesENU]

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if my post fully solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 5 of 12
SamuelAB
in reply to: john.vellek

Thank John, that worked!

Now if I could figure out why the heck I ever had this obscure problem in the first place, I'd be a happy camper. Smiley LOL

Message 6 of 12
rbissett

Hi,  My material image files are also missing.  When I go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Materials\Textures, there is no \1\Mats.  The only thing in textures is several UPI2017Base, Low, and Medium folders.  Inside those folders is another UPI folder and inside that a UPI.dll, UPICA.dll, and a Upiconfig.xml file.  No image files in this location?

Thanks

Okay is several minutes later than the above.  When I reinstalled the base, medium, and low texture files three new folders appeared in the textures folder 1, 2, and 3.  Each had the mats folder and inside were all of the texture images.

Message 7 of 12
Jrstewartarch

Can this folder be located on a server and shared by the office or must it always be on each persons C drive?  Thanks

Message 8 of 12

This is not the right place to ask this question, but the answer is both.

Ideally you company will set up a folder on the network and everyone will use it. Please see the help documentation.

As far as I can tell, I believe this bug has been fixed and that the directory is no longer lost every time.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

HELP!  I am having this same issue

I added the blue text in and it is still not recognizing it. Would the MaterialLibraryFiles=..\Data\Rendering affect my rendering to the cloud?

[Revit.ini]
[Colors]
CustomColor1=8a5815
CustomColor2=0000ff
CustomColor3=00ffff
CustomColor4=00ff00
CustomColor5=ffff00
CustomColor6=ff0000
CustomColor7=ff00ff
CustomColor8=ffffff
CustomColor9=8a5815
CustomColor10=ffffff
CustomColor11=ffffff
CustomColor12=ffffff
CustomColor13=ffffff
CustomColor14=ffffff
CustomColor15=ffffff
CustomColor16=ffffff
BackgroundColor=16777215
HiliteColor=12401408
PreHiliteColor=12401408
ErrorColor=33023
[Directories]
ProjectPath=C:\Users\vida.renfrow\Documents
ImportLineweightsNameDWG=C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Revit 2017\Data\importlineweights-dwg-default.txt
IESFileLocation=C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2017\IES\
LookupTableLocation=C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2017\Lookup Tables\
ExportToClassIFC=..\..\..\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2017\exportlayers-ifc-IAI.txt
RootPathForPointClouds=C:\Users\vida.renfrow\Documents\PointClouds
AdditionalRenderAppearancePaths=..\..\..\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Materials\Textures\1\Mats
[DirectoriesENU]

I am seeing a file called MyFavoriteMaterials.adsklib  

this is under the path: C:\Users\vida.renfrow\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\Revit\Autodesk Revit 2017

Would this affect my materials? All of the missing materials when I send to render in the cloud at 1/MAT

Message 10 of 12
stalukder

Hi I am having problem material rendering. We have a central file and it's on the server and all the material images also in the server. When I am working on local file in my laptop detached from the server all my material disappeared. Is there any way we can fix it. Just like as family. (if you use family like door) it's not matter it's on server or not material is showing properly. 

Thanks for your help. 

Message 11 of 12
kscanlonWLNYB

Can't you just release a service pack with a patch that fixes this? I am an architect, not a programmer. I don't know what .ini files are. Revit costs thousands of dollars, give us a break for crying out loud. 

Message 12 of 12
gayathri2mi
in reply to: rbissett

i have same problem now what should i do now? should i reinstal

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report