Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2015 R2 Compatibility

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
957 Views, 10 Replies

Revit 2015 R2 Compatibility

I want to install Revit 2015 R2 on my computer but not everyone in the office is so eager for the upgrade.  If I install R2 on my computer but others don't will it cause issues when working with a shared central model?  Also, is there any issue with sending an R2 model to consultants who have not upgraded to R2?

Thanks,

Darin

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
cbcarch
in reply to: Anonymous

Best practices indicate that all team members inside a workshared project should have the same build / update.

Linked files used by outside team members do not necessarily have to be the same build; but it is better if all teams use the same build to avoid possible problems.

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects-St. Louis, MO
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: cbcarch

Yes, I guess I thought it was a given that best practice would be to have everyone using the same build.  I can also tell you best practice is to save every 3 minutes so you don't loose all your work when Revit crashes but sometimes us Revit users like to live life on the edge. 😉  Best practices aside, are there know issues with using these two separate builds on the same central model? 

Thanks

Message 4 of 11
cbcarch

We have not rolled out 2015 R2 office wide yet, so I can't say for sure on the newest build.

However, from past experience ( since Revit version 1  about 15 yrs ago to the present ) working with both small ( 10 or less users in a single office )

to multiple users (+50)  in multiple offices (3) with Revit Server, many problems can occur if the same build is not installed on all workstations and servers for RS.

If User A has latest build, which contains a fix for a certain issue, but User B does not have the newest build, when STC odd things will happen; in worst cases Revit will hang and crash, causing a domino effect across team members.

So--again, "best practices" suggest get a GAME PLAN with all team members, decide as a GROUP when/if/how to upgrade to a new release or build--including outside consultants. This will save lots of headaches, get all users to buy-in and understand the setup, etc.

Just my 2 c worth. But hey--more power to you if you want to experiment with R2 when the rest of the team is not upgraded.Smiley Happy

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects-St. Louis, MO
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: cbcarch

Thanks Cliff, that was the response I was looking for.  "May experience crashes and screw everything up for everyone else in the office if you go it alone.  Proceed at your own risk."  I think I will wait.

Message 6 of 11
rosskirby

Dblair, just as an FYI, this may be officially labeled as R2 (release 2), but if you look at your "About" section of Revit, you'll see that it's listed as "20140905_0730(x64); Update Release 4".  It's highly inadvisable to have dissimilar builds when working on a workshared project, so in this case, I would side with Cliff in recommending against having mixed builds.

Also, there are so many great new features in R2 that everyone should be using it (site tools aside).

Hope that helps.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 7 of 11
tbh
Enthusiast

dblair,

I agree with the others. I've been using Revit since before AutoDesk purchased it and it's not advisable having 2 different versions. That being said, we currently have a project that half the users have 2015 and half have R2. Unfortunately we have a one man IT department and he's strethed thin. No issues so far. Not saying we jsut haven't come across one yet. I've been suing it for the past week and I'm extremely happy with it. Especially the Site Tools.

There is one issue you should be aware of. When I try to edit or open any of my components in R2, Revit tells me the family is corrupt and I need to reload it. I can't edit or open them from the project but I can either open them and reload or right-click and reload. So it's apparently not the components but R2. I have to do a little more testing to see if it's R2 or my computer.

Again, hasn't caused me any major problems, more of an annoyance at the moment.

I do highly recommend getting this release installed ASAP. There are some nice new features in there.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: tbh

You will have to let me know what you find out about the component editing.  I edit components all the time straight out of a project.  Our component library is not the cleanest and to go back and try to find the original component to edit could end up being a real time waster.  Thanks for your input.

Message 9 of 11
tbh
Enthusiast

Did some more testing on a second machine with R2. Same results. Definately R2. I'm going to test another project to see if the same problem occurs.

I did an audit when I upgraded this file to 2015 but did not do one to R2.

I also put a support request in to Autodesk. I'll keep you up to date when I have more info.

Message 10 of 11
tbh
Enthusiast

After some additional testing it looks like the issue was with the project I was working on. I update 'and audited this time' another project and everything worked fine. No corrupt families. After submitting my support request I was informed by AutoDesk that this is a known issue with some files.

Message 11 of 11
tbh
Enthusiast

I submitted the model to Autodesk and unfortunately I'm told that this is a known issue with some files and Autodesk does not have a solution other than me manually going thru every family und reloading it.

Anyone moving to R2 make sure you run the audit on the file even if you're already on 2015.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report