Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2015 IFC Link

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
6121 Views, 12 Replies

Revit 2015 IFC Link

I'm having issues with linked IFC files in Revit 2015. When importing (opening) and IFC file, all object are created correctly and can be used to position and/or align. When linking the same IFC file, the objects don't provide any reference or snap points, so it makes the IFC links pretty much useless. All geometry is fine, it just can't be used (to draw a detail line from a wall corner using and endpoint snap, for instance). I've tried on multiple computers, with a range of different IFC files and get the same result each time - imports work, links don't.

Has anyone else discovered this? More importantly, does anyone know of a fix?

Revit appears to stuff up the IFC import if there's no template set and behave in the same manner, it seems to me that the IFC Link ignores the template, and stuffs up the background import.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
David_W_Koch
in reply to: Anonymous

Have you tried importing the IFC into a separate Revit project file, and then linking that Revit file into your project?  Some extra steps on setup and if you need to update the model from a revised IFC file, but it should improve the workability.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 13
nayrbrellim

We are having the same issue.  We thought the IFC linking was so much better in 2015 because of being on manage link tab, and being able to control elements through visibility graphics but if we cannot snap to an endpoint or intersection - then WTF good is it ?!?  We had to create a new project, open the IFC file from there, save it, then link tht revit file and it worked ok.  Thanks autodesk for a useless Link IFC button on the ribbon.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: David_W_Koch

David, yes I've tried that, as I said in the original post doing an import works fine, and that's my workaround until there's a fix. But it defeats the purpose of the IFC link.

A support case has been opened, so we'll see what comes of it.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous

The update released yesterday (17 September 2014 - Autodesk Revit 2015 R2 for Subscription customers - Update ID CU002154) appears - at least at first glance - to have fixed this issue.

Message 6 of 13
Chris_D_UK

R2 doesn't fix the issue, but gives the illusion of doing so. If you export an IFC from Revit and link the resulting IFC file into another Revit file, then yes you can snap to the IFC. If however you try to snap from an IFC from any other source, snapping/align doesn't work.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Chris_D_UK

Not so sure about that Chris. I've got linked IFC files that were exported from ArchiCAD & 12D, and they're providing snapping/alignment. I did find that I needed to remove & re-link the IFC to force Revit to recreate its automatically-created import file.

Message 8 of 13
Chris_D_UK

Micky, you're a genius. I had to manually delete those .ifc.rvt container files, but after doing that and re-referencing I can now get the IFCs to snap. For interest I was trying to link in a StruCAD derived structural model, and I also had a Revit 2014 IFC export that I was testing with (to check it wasn't a StruCAD export issue). Deleting the container files is the key.

Thanks

Message 9 of 13
walaaeddine

I was tring to open IFC files and linking IFC files in 2015. and it didn't work. Would you please tell me what did you do to make it work?
What files needs to be deleted ?
Thank You
Wass

Message 10 of 13
walaaeddine

You need to Import IFC Options under Revit==> Open==> IFC options. fix the IFC mapping manually. there should be a Template somewhere. Apply the template from Revit 2013.

Message 11 of 13
MPMARTIN7

I can't seem to get this to work. Importing works fine but no luck with linking. I linked in IFC file (from Tekla) and can't snap to any elements. I deleted the ".ifc.rvt" files and reloaded the IFC linked file. A new ".ifc.rvt" was created but still no luck. Am I missing a step?

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: MPMARTIN7

@Mvader7 wrote:

Am I missing a step?

Potentially...

First, make sure you've got the latest update for 2015. I think it was the subscription R2 update that did the trick - not sure if the updates for non-subscription customers fixed it. Also check the IFC Import settings to make sure there's a template assigned (create a new blank file, go to Open > IFC Options and check that a template file is listed in the "Default Template for IFC Import" setting - I always use an Autodesk provided import template "IFC Metric Template.rte"). Check the class mapping while you're there.

If its still not working, try linking the IFC into a new blank file just to make sure its not something in the old file holding you back.

Message 13 of 13
j3di19

i got the same issues, but i did a tricky, make a new file project, import the *.ifc file and *.dgn file in the same project and do not make any move, pin it is good decision, set *.ifc file as attachment, save it and try to snap it. what you need is *.dgn file from the same file, if yo don't, open the ifc file with tekla bimsight, save it to tekla bimsight and import to tekla, using tekla export it to *dgn file. i hope this trick usefull

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report