Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2015 Has No Family Templates Files Installed

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
lgalvan123
27056 Views, 13 Replies

Revit 2015 Has No Family Templates Files Installed

Hello,

I'm trying to get Revit 2015 up and running on my desktop machine at work. My IT department has tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling Revit 2015 multiple times. Each time, we get the error "The path you have specified for the default family template files is invalid." When I try to follow this solution link, there's nothing under Programs and Features-Uninstall/Change that has anything to do with "Autodesk Revit Content Libraries 2015": http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/...

I have included a screen capture to show how "Autodesk Revit Content Libraries 2015" it isn't even there. There is no "Libraries" folder in C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2015\Templates. I feel like we've tried everything, but there has to be a solution. Does anyone on the forum know how to solve this problem? We're all stumped.

Thank you in advance,

L

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
lgalvan123
in reply to: lgalvan123

Answered my own question- to fix this problem, your family templates folder may be under C:\ProgramData which is a hidden folder in Windows, and won't show up under Revit Applications Menu>Options>File Locations>Browse unless you show all hidden files and folders in Windows first. Make sure "show hidden files and folders" is enabled in Windows. Then, in Revit click on the "R" and then at the bottom of the menu click "Options," go to "File Locations" on the left hand side, then under "Default path for family template files," click browse and you can now see the previously hidden ProgramData folder under C:. Select the Family Templates folder and then your default path will be corrected, even if "Revit 2015 Content Libraries" is not showing under Uninstall/Change Programs under Control Panel.

Once you show hidden files and folders, navigate to C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2015\Family Templates and click Open. When you restart Revit you should not see this error anymore.

For some reason, a network install did not set up the correct Default path for family template files - it was set to a local user folder, not the correct folder in C:\ProgramData.

Message 3 of 14
jontej

Many thanks! You wouldn't believe how long I have been trying to solve this problem. I appreciate it!

-Jack

Message 4 of 14

I'm having the same problem except.  I path the file locations correctly but when I shut down Revit, the file locations don't save and I get the "invalid path" error when I open Revit again.

Message 5 of 14
sch3d

Hi, i tried the steps you mentioned above but, unfotunately, my Family Templates is empty. Do you know how I can install the family template using autodesk download manager?

Message 6 of 14
David_W_Koch
in reply to: sch3d

You do not want to "load" a family template.  As shown in your attached image, the file filter is *.rfa, *.adsk, which would not show any family template files (*.rft).  Try creating a new family if your goal is to start a new family from a family template file.

On the other hand, if you are trying to load an existing family into a project, you want to navigate to the appropriate folder under the Libraries folder (for example, for Revit 2015, my US Imperial families are found here:  C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2015\Libraries\US Imperial; your location may vary depending upon how you installed the program and what content you included.

All that said, if content was not properly installed when you installed the program, those folders could be empty.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 7 of 14
btb
Explorer
in reply to: jessicaashworth2808

I have exactiy  the same problem with Revit Structure 2015 I can add a template path to where our templates are on the server but everytime I shut down Revit and reopen I get the same error message see attached. Infuriating to say the least.

Message 8 of 14
Tony_Michniewicz
in reply to: btb

There have been numerous posts about Revit content installation failures and a new post has been created to focus our troubleshooting efforts.  If you continue to encounter this problem, please refer to this post for the latest details on this issue.

Tony Michniewicz
Autodesk Revit QA

Tony Michniewicz
Revit Software QA Analyst
Message 9 of 14
or.marmolejo

All my folders are empty

Message 10 of 14
EricWong1

HI there,

Newbie here, please pardon my ignorance.

I have the same issue with Revit 2015. I followed the steps given: show hidden folder for ProgramData and rename revit.ini in c:\Users\<%username%>\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\Revit\Autodesk Revit 2015. I notice it is blank in revit.ini in c:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2015\UserDataCache. Is this normal?

Is it because of this file that cause the Revit not able to locate the family templates?

Please advice.

Appreciate any advice.

Eric

Message 11 of 14
kevindoana1

Error.jpg

I'm too, I tried change path follow your help. But Revit error. Please Help me !

Message 12 of 14
Mahmoud.Ziedan

First you have to ask the person who installed your software,if there was any internet connection when he installed it.If no you have to download those templates, otherwise they are placed on your machine, but you need to map them.

By default, all the family templates will be downloaded to

C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\ RVT2016  (RVT if you are using Revit software with all disciplines,rme if using Revit MEP,rac if using Revit Architecture,rst if using Revit Structure.2016 is the version.)then go to family templates and you can see the templates there.

Finally, you have to go to Revit Options, File locations and browse to map the exact location.

You found a post helpful? Then feel free to give likes to these posts!
Your question got successfully answered? Then just click on the 'Mark as solution' button.

src="https://autodesk.widen.net/content/fbz0l2onhe/png/autodesk-expert-elite-forum-signature-logo.png" >
Mahmoud Zeidan
BIM Manager/Mechanical Engineer
Message 13 of 14
Mahmoud.Ziedan

First you have to ask the person who installed your software,if there was any internet connection when he installed it.If no you have to download those templates, otherwise they are placed on your machine, but you need to map them.

By default, all the family templates will be downloaded to

C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\ RVT2016  (RVT if you are using Revit software with all disciplines,rme if using Revit MEP,rac if using Revit Architecture,rst if using Revit Structure.2016 is the version.)then go to family templates and you can see the templates there.

Finally, you have to go to Revit Options, File locations and browse to map the exact location.

You found a post helpful? Then feel free to give likes to these posts!
Your question got successfully answered? Then just click on the 'Mark as solution' button.

src="https://autodesk.widen.net/content/fbz0l2onhe/png/autodesk-expert-elite-forum-signature-logo.png" >
Mahmoud Zeidan
BIM Manager/Mechanical Engineer
Message 14 of 14
kenarlt49

This didn't work for me.  But Thanks anyway.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report