Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2015 Family Template File location

138 REPLIES 138
Message 1 of 139
bcampbell11
103249 Views, 138 Replies

Revit 2015 Family Template File location

Anybody know where the family template files are located now?   I have no template folders or "Libraries" Folder in the following location C:\Program Data\Autodesk\RVT 2015\. 

I am not sure if I need to reinstall Revit or look in a different spot.

Thanks!

138 REPLIES 138
Message 61 of 139

Get the content from your supplier who you purchased the software from. There are legality issues with simply placing a dropbox link on this site and giving you 3.35GB of families and content. This should resolve your issue; you'll want all the content in the below folders.

Screenshot 2014-07-10 10.04.01.png

Message 62 of 139

Where do we get the content if we are a student? The only thing in my RVT 2015 folder is a folder named UserDateCache

Message 63 of 139

To date, we've identified a single Revit 2015 content installation problem that is specific to the Autodesk Design Academy 2015 installation. A solution to this problem is detailed in my first post on page 5 of this thread.

Outside of this issue, we have not been able to reproduce Revit 2015 content installation problems within Revit or other suite installations. In many cases, this problem ends up being restricted internet access that does not allow for the download of Revit content. Users that have tried the troubleshooting steps outlined in this thread but still experience problems with the installation of Revit content should contact Autodesk product support. There they can request a direct link to a zip file that includes the files necessary for the installation of Revit content, thus eliminating the need to download Revit content.

Tony Michniewicz
Autodesk Revit QA

Tony Michniewicz
Revit Software QA Analyst
Message 64 of 139

I can confirm in my case that it was an internet access issue causing my problems downloading the Revit content.

My suggestion is to have the deployment tool tell you it needs to download the content packs. There is nothing on that screen that leads you to belive the content packs are not included in whatever media you are installing from. In fact, the network deployment tool has 'radio button' options for downloading Service Packs vs using ones stored on the network, this led me to belive that the tool would always tell me when it needed to download a component. This did not end up being accurate and I lost more than 20 hours last week troubleshooting my 2015 deployments. It was very frustrating. The deployment tool would just hang with no indication it was an internet access issue.

Thank you for quickly responding with the download info though, once I figured out what the error was you were very fast to respond.

Dustin

My other CAD is a Cadillac and I like to Revit to the Max!
Message 65 of 139

Well I can guarantee that in my case, it is not an internet issue. We have several hundred deployments of Autodesk Design Suite and a really good internet connection. So I'm at a loss.
Message 66 of 139
kubstix
in reply to: Tony_Michniewicz

I can assure you this problem is on the Education Master Suite as well.  I'm still completely stuck on deploying this to 50 computers.  What am I suppose to put for the Project Path on Revit deployment?  I have multiple users who will be using the same PC as others.  Can we use a %Username%\Documents type deal?  I can see default saves saving in the Public\Documents being an issue for our enviroment instead of locally to that users Documents.

Issue #2 Without editing the setup.ini I was not able to change the Family Template location and have it accepted.  No matter what was entered was erroring out.  Now since the Content Library actually gets installed the Family Template location is not correct thus I have to change this on 50 desktops which is not a solution.  Under the configurable options IES Content, Library Content, Template Content, Family Templates, and lookup Tables it has listed <Common Content Folder>\Family Templates\

When Revit gets installed it continues to error on Family Templates and the value is listed as just \Family Templates\ instead of the full path to the family templates location.  Thank You.

Message 67 of 139
Tony_Michniewicz
in reply to: kubstix

If your intent is to have the Project Path point to each users' documents folder, then the default setting should be all you need. During the creation of deployments, the Project Path field will be populated with the path to the current user's document folder but when Revit is installed on each workstation the current user's name will be substituted into this path. This is accomplished through use of the %USERPROFILE% environment variable.

As far as your second issue, it sounds like you are experiencing trouble when attempting to enter custom values in configureable folders section. In order to troubleshoot this issue, it would be helpful to know what values you are entering and what error is generated. Another good piece of information is where you want your user's Revit content to be located and whether you want each user to have their own content or have everyone access content from a single location.

Finally, I took a look at the Education Master Suite and found an error in its setup.ini file that might be leading to your Revit content installation problems. My suggestion would be to copy the Education Master Suite to a local hard drive, then edit the setup.ini file in this location. Specifically, you want to find the following line SUBCOMPONENT=RCL2015;GLUE_PLUGIN_REV and change it to SUBCOMPONENT=GLUE_PLUGIN_REV. Once this is done, I would launch the Education Master Suite installation from this local copy and create your deployment image.

Tony Michniewicz

Autodesk Revit QA

Tony Michniewicz
Message 68 of 139
kubstix

Tony, the problem is what is the default setting I should be entering in project path?  When you create a deployment on your own PC it enters your profiles documents (ie C:\Users\kubstix\Documents).  So should I be entering %Userprofile%\Documents? 

Issue #2.  I am not entering any custom variables as it will not let me.  Everything is just listed as <Common Content Folder>\Family Templates\.  It is not reading the <Common Content Folder> portion of this variable.  Thus when deploying to a desktop and opening Revit, you get a Family Template error.  Within options and locations the Family Template location just populates /Templates.  I attached 2 screen shots to show.

I will try your suggestion about the .ini file tomorrow.  I will re-extract from the 7 part download and do your suggestion but should I also be doing this as well?

"I did notice that a RCL2015 reference is still included for the SUBCOMPONENT value under the RVT section.  If you are experiencing problems with the installation of Revit content from the Autodedsk Education Master Suite, I would recommend removing this RCL2015 reference."

It seems my content library doesn't even get installed without doing the above?

Message 69 of 139
Tony_Michniewicz

The images you supplied indicate that there was a problem during the installation of Revit content. I'm not positive about the cause of this problem but the leading candidate is the incorrect SUBCOMPONENT value in the Education Master Suite setup.ini file. Once you extract the Education Master Suite to your local hard drive, you'll need to open the setup.ini file in Notepad, remove the RCL2015 reference from the SUBCOMPONENT entry in the RVT 2015 section, and save your changes to this file. After this fix has been implemented, you'll need to run through the Education Master Suite installation again and create a new deployment image. Installation from the new deployment image should now include Revit content, which should ensure that the File Location settings are properly populated and this will eliminate the error you are seeing on startup.

During the creation of your deployment, the project path field will be populated with the path to the current user's document folder, such as C:\Users\kubstix\Documents. Behind the scenes, we are using the %USERPROFILE% environment variable to populate the current user's name and this same approach is used each time Revit is launched by a new user. As long as your intent is to have the project path point to the user's document folder, you don't have to change this setting during the creation of your deployment image.

As far as the configurable folders, you should see this to start:
ConfigurableFolders.png

At this point, you cannot modify the path value for any of the groups because the mode is set to default. In this scenario, Revit content will be installed in the C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2015 folder. If this is not your desired location, you can change the mode to local or shared and then you'll be able to enter your own value in the path field. And while we're on this topic, you'll want to use the local option if you want each user to have their own copy (usually local) of Revit content. However, if you want all of your users to share the same Revit content from a single location (usually on a network), you'll want to select the shared option.

I hope this information helps to answer your questions.

Tony Michniewicz

Autodesk Revit QA

Tony Michniewicz
Message 70 of 139
kubstix

Tony I just did exactly what you said and nothing has worked.  Here are my steps

1.  Redownloaded the entire 25GB 7 Part Education Suite.

2.  Extracted to a directory locally on my computer

3.  Edited the Setup.ini to completely remove the RCL reference in the subcomponent section of RVT 2015

4.  Created a new deployment image with Revit ONLY and didn't make ANY customizations to the Revit or Revit Content portion.  I left everything at          default.

5.  Imaged a fresh machine with our Windows 7 x64 image.  Deployed my brand new Revit deployment.

Here are my reports back.  The project path field which populated my C:\Users\Kubstix\Documents on creating the deployment image absolutely DOES NOT use a %USERNAME%\Documents variable.  When I deployed on my freshly imaged machine (only ever logging in as 1 user the domain admin) it created a C:\Users\kubstix\Documents folder.  My Revit File Locations are listed as C:\Users\Kubstix\Documents on this desktop in which I DID NOT log in on this machine as Kubstix yet.  Which means every single person who will log into this computer will have a default path for user files of C:\Users\Kubstix\Documents.  So this is not working as you said it should.  Also on the first time of opening the Revit I'm once again presented with a Family Template File Location is invalid as the screenshot I just posted.  Again when going into the file locations tab in options family templates is once again just \Templates.  

**ALSO the content is getting installed.  Not only do I watch it get installed during deployment of Revit, the C:\ProgramData\AutoDesk\RVT 2015 folder is completely filled with the Libraries, Family Templates, ect.

Message 71 of 139
Tony_Michniewicz

After some additional research, both of these issues appear to stem from another problem in the Educational Master Suite setup.ini file, which lists RVT2015 before RCL2015 in the INSTALL_SEQUENCE value.  To fix this problem, you'll once again need to edit your local copy of the setup.ini file and reverse their order so that the RCL2015 reference comes before the RVT2015 reference in the INSTALL_SEQUENCE value, which is located in the Install Execute and UI Sequence section.  Here is what the correct INSTALL_SEQUENCE value should look like:

INSTALL_SEQUENCE=RXI;RXS;DCLIBRARY;ACADAPPMGR;ACADFEATUREDAPPS;PERFORMANCETOOL;GLUE_PLUGIN_AUT;INVENTOR_ENGINE;PDATA;CIVILVIEW;BACKBURNER;RXM;DIRECTCONNECT;RXN;ODBX2015;ODBX2014;ODBX2013;ODBX2012;ODBX2011;ODBX2010;ODBX2009;ACAD;ACA2015;C3D;SSA;SAC;ACADE;ACADMAP;ACM;MEP;PLNT3D;RASTERDESIGN;ASD;AUD;ALIAS;IM;INVENTOR;MAX;MUDBOX;NW;NW_EXPORTERS_64;GLUE_PLUGIN_NAVMAN;AUTODESK_RECAP;RCL2015;RVT2015;GLUE_PLUGIN_REV;RSAPRO2015x64;SHOWCASE;CFD;ALGOR;AMA;VAULT;AUTOCAD_FACTORY;INVENTOR_FACTORY;NAVISWORKS_FACTORY;ADAPPLICATIONMANAGER;ADSYNC;NLM;CADM;SERVER;CCLIBRARY;SNAP;REVITSERVER;SDK;RSASDK;MAXSDK;CIVIL_OE32;CIVIL_OE64

Once this and the SUBCOMPONENT correction are completed, you'll need to create a new deployment image.  After that you should be able to install Revit to individual workstations and the Revit.ini file should include the proper path for content as well as the correct ProjectPath value.  If this latest suggestion doesn't resolve the problem, it would be helpful if you could provide a copy of the Revit.ini file that is created in the C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2015\UserDataCache folder.

Tony Michniewicz

Autodesk Revit QA

Tony Michniewicz
Message 72 of 139
kubstix

Thanks Tony, I am out of office until Monday so I will try this then.

Message 73 of 139
kubstix

Tony here are my steps.

1.  Extracted AutoDesk 7 Part Download

2.  Edited setup.ini with subcomponent and switch RVT/RCL order under Install_Sequence.

3.  Created deployment image of only Revit/RCL.  Left everything at default including Default Path Location which populated my own          username\documents

4.  Imaged fresh Desktop with Windows 7 x64 Pro SP1 with all updates.

5.  Logged in as Domain Admin

6.  Installed the Revit Deployment

I observed that the content did get installed before Revit actually did.  Looks as if the family template location is fixed.  However, the default path for user files and the default path for point clouds is still incorrect.  It populated the profile information of my own desktop where I created the deployment again.  So it once again created a folder C:\Users\Kubstix\Documents and C:\Users\Kubstix\Documents\PointClouds on my freshly imaged computer.  Logged out of the desktop and logged in as a different user, both the Point Cloud location and Default Path is still listed as C:\Users\Kubstix\Documents and C:\Users\Kubstix\Documents\PointClouds.  It still is not automatically populating a %USERPROFILE%\Documents based on the user who logs in.  I attached both files.

Please change the Revit.JPG to Revit.ini as it would not let me upload an .ini.

Message 74 of 139
artur.zaw

Hello.

I've been fighting with almost the same issue since friday and finally there is content!

Let me say a few thing about my problem. After installing, removing, reinstalling etc. finally everything was cleaned and deleted except for Revit 2015 Content Libraries (educational version) - even uninstall tool and phrase in CMD didn't handle it. When installing Revit 2015 there was "error": Another version is installed, delete and install again blah blah blah. But there was no content on my computer!

Solution?

Installed Revit 2015 on another computer (PC). Copied folders:

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Revit Content 2015 English

and

C:\ProgramData\Autodesk

and pasted it into my laptop's hard drive.

Windows installers claims that there is no such thing as content revit libraries but in Revit... (attachment)

I've sent an e-mail to "Education community support" so maybe tomorrow there will be better, more reliable solution but so far this one is ok.

I hope it helps.

Message 75 of 139
artur.zaw
in reply to: artur.zaw

Ok I've got the reply from Autodesk and it works!

Here is the e-mail:

"Hello from Autodesk!

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused to you while installing the product.

You are trying to perform a clean installation of the product, but a previous corrupted installation doesn't allow you to install a new one. In this case you will need to do clean uninstall of the product.

We would suggest you use the Microsoft Install/Uninstall Troubleshooting Utility to safely remove the software. If you save the file locally, you can run Microsoft Fix it for subsequent uninstalls. Please refer the below link: 
http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-...

Hope this helps!

Thank you and have a nice day!"

Message 76 of 139

I'm glad to hear that your content was installed successfully.  As far as the remaining issue, default project and point cloud paths, I've made several attempts but have not been able to reproduce this problem.  However, it is obvious that this is not working in your scenario so I've put together a work-around that should allow you to resolve this issue.  During the deployment creation process, there is an option to include a custom Revit.ini file and we can use this to ensure that the project and point cloud paths both use the %USERPROFILE% environment variable.  Here are the steps to utilize this work-around:

1. On a system that currently has Revit 2015 installed, open Windows Explorer and navigate to the C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2015\UserDataCache folder.
  2. Copy the Revit.ini file that resides in this folder and paste it to another location.
  3. Open the Revit.ini file in Notepad and locate the ProjectPath variable in the Directories section and change it's value to ProjectPath=%USERPROFILE%\Documents\.
  4. Add the following variable in the Directories section: RootPathForPointClouds=%USERPROFILE%\Documents\PointClouds
  5. Save and close your modified copy of the Revit.ini file.
  6. Launch the Education Master Suite installer and navigate through the configuration process until you get to the configure deployment page.
  7. Enable and then expand the Autodesk Revit 2015 product entry.
  8. Scroll down to the Customize Application Settings section and enable the Custom Revit.ini option.
  9. Click the browse button associated with the custom Revit.ini field.
  10. Navigate to and select the Revit.ini file you modified in steps 2 through 5, then click Open.
  11. Click the Import button associated with the custom Revit.ini field.
  12. Collapse the Autodesk Revit 2015 product entry and click Create.

When the deployment creation process is completed, a copy of your custom Revit.ini file will be included in the deployment image.  When Revit is installed on individual workstations, this file will be copied into the C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2015\UserDataCache folder and used as the template when new users launch Revit 2015 for the first time.

I tested this earlier today and confirmed that this process ensured that the appropriate project and point cloud paths were used for each user.  For your reference, I've attached the custom Revit.ini file (which I renamed to Revit.ini.txt to allow it as an attachment) I used during the creation of my deployment image.

Tony Michniewicz
Autodesk Revit QA

Tony Michniewicz
Message 77 of 139
kubstix

Thank You Tony, I am going to try this right now.  

Message 78 of 139
kubstix

Thanks for all your help Tony, everything looks good now and is working properly.  

Message 79 of 139

Thought I'd send an update on my futile attempts to get RAC 2015 content installed:

First, through communications with Tony I acquired the means to download the content separately.  I did this and still failure.

Second, Autodesk sent me physical media.  I uninstalled Revit, deleted folders and registry keys and deleted files in temp folder.  Reinstalled Revit from CD....and still no content.  I was so dismayed the first time that I did the whole thing again thinking I had missed a step like clearing the temp folder.

Granted my computer is old and overfilled.  I do addin programming so I have 6 versions of AutoCAD loaded and 5 version of Revit and 3 version of Visual Studios and only about 15GB free.  Still, the fact that it installs with absolutely no errors and yet fails to install something so basic tells me there is a flaw in the installer that has nothing to do with the downloading process.

There you have it.

I'll try again after I get a new computer and let everyone know how it goes.  Long overdue anyway.

James

Message 80 of 139
stuthill1106
in reply to: CADdaddy.com

You're right James, It is something Autodesk messed up. This has happened way too much for it to be a user issue. We have hundreds of deployments of 2015 that we haven't been able to use yet because of this seemingly small issue. I just want Autodesk to admit fault and get on with patching this issue.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report