Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2015 Family Template File location

138 REPLIES 138
Message 1 of 139
bcampbell11
103264 Views, 138 Replies

Revit 2015 Family Template File location

Anybody know where the family template files are located now?   I have no template folders or "Libraries" Folder in the following location C:\Program Data\Autodesk\RVT 2015\. 

I am not sure if I need to reinstall Revit or look in a different spot.

Thanks!

138 REPLIES 138
Message 41 of 139
Tony_Michniewicz
in reply to: Anonymous

For those of you working with the Autodesk Design Academy, we've identified the problem that is blocking the installation of Revit content.  In previous releases, a single installation process was used to install both Revit and Revit content.  With the release of Revit 2015, content has been broken out into a separate installation process and the Design Academy installer was not updated to accommodate this change.

The good news is that the fix is relatively simple and only requires edits to the setup.ini file.  I've attached an updated setup.ini file (I had to rename the file setup.txt because INI files are not valid extensions for attachments in this forum) in which I've already made the necessary modification.  To use this file, start by renaming it setup.ini and then replace your existing copy that resides in the root folder alongside setup.exe.  You should now see an Autodesk Revit Content Libraries 2015 entry on the Configure Installation page and Revit content should once again be installed as expected.

If anyone is curious about the edits I made in the setup.ini file, here is the list:

Under the Install Execute & UI Sequence section, I added a RCL2015 reference to the EXE_SEQUENCE value.

Under the Install Execute & UI Sequence section, I added a RCL2015 reference to the INSTALL_SEQUENCE value.

Under the Install Execute & UI Sequence section, I added a RCL2015 reference to the UI_SEQUENCE value.

Under the RVT section, I removed the RCL2015 reference from the SUBCOMPONENT value.

And one last important note.  At the beginning of this file, just below the [Setup] heading, there is a PLATFORM value and this value needs to match the value from your original setup.ini file.  As an example, if your original setupl.ini file includes PLATFORM=x64, you'll need to modify the PLATFORM value in the setup.ini file that I supplied.

Tony Michniewicz

Autodesk Revit QA

Tony Michniewicz
Revit Software QA Analyst
Message 42 of 139
Anonymous
in reply to: Tony_Michniewicz

I am having trouble figuring out which setup.ini file to modify. Also, can this be used on a deployment that has already been created or do I need to create a new one? When I do a search for setup.ini I get several results and the ini file next to setup.exe holds the name of my deployment (ada2015). I tried modifying it and didn't get the revit content.
Message 43 of 139
Tony_Michniewicz

Hi Joe

The setup.ini file that needs to be modified should be at the top level of the install media, right alongside the setup.exe and autorun.inf files.  Once this file is updated, new standalone installations as well as new deployment images should work as expected.

If you have an existing deployment image that was created with the original setup.ini file, you should be able to implement the same changes but in this scenario you'll be editing the Imgx64.ini (I don’t have a Design Academy deployment available but I believe this would be the right name) file that resides in the Img folder.  Similar to the setup.ini edits, you’ll need to add RCL2015 to each of the values in the Install Execute & UI Sequence section and remove RCL2015 from the SUBCOMPONENT value in the RVT2015 section.

Tony Michniewicz

Autodesk Revit QA

Tony Michniewicz
Message 44 of 139
Anonymous

Tony,

I created a new deployment and now I can see the content library but it is empty. I have the physical media but cannot figure out how to add the content. I would prefer the content be part of my deployment. Maybe it would be easier if you could tell me where the files are located on the thumb drive and where revit is looking for them? I can create a separate job to copy them.

Joe
Message 45 of 139
Anonymous
in reply to: bryon

If you already installed content library means, just use autodesk uninstall tool select "autodesk revit content library" and then uninstall it after that use your autodesk setup file put ur lisence information and then it's already selected the content library to be installed, click install (don't worry if you already downloaded the content library it will download the remaining needed files only if not it will take some time to download it be patient) after the installation go to control panel and select "autodesk revit content library" change/uninstall a window will open select first option add or remove content and select the us imperial and us metric the download will take some time be patient, when it's done you got a fully working revit with needed library files 🙂

Thanks

Message 46 of 139
Anonymous
in reply to: bcampbell11

I'm having the same problem with the Premier Building Design Suite 2015. I troubleshooted with our supplier, however they are having a difficult time answering the questions. They sent me the family template files and I'm now able to actually create family templates however there are two more issues that I'm encountering. Actually, there's so many issues, I don't really know where to start with this. It appears that the root cause involves the Content Library however, as Revit is working just fine. Please help, quite confused when we are speaking about changing the setup execute file.

Message 47 of 139
Anonymous

Here is the solution that I ended up going with. I hope this helps some of you.

I copied the files from the physical media to a folder on a computer and changed the setup.ini as suggested above. Then I installed only the Revit content on that computer. After deploying the entire ADA 2015 package (created without the content) to a different computer I then copied those files to the location (C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2015). By default Revit.ini did not have a path for FamilyTemplatePath=(blank) so I also modified the path to (C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2015). I tried four different ways to create a deployment with the content included and it did not work so it appears that only a local installation will install the content.
Message 48 of 139
Anonymous

Joseph,

It sounds like you fixed the problem. Can you walk me through with clear and definitive steps how to go through this process. So far I've got the family content working with the exception of when I try to pull in content from outside sources (i.e. I downloaded a family file from a supplier website yesterday and it did not open). The other issue as I'm sure you are aware, is the project deployment, I have not been able to find this content either. By a local installation you mean using the usb disk right? Thanks.

Justin

Message 49 of 139
Anonymous

Plug the usb disk into the computer. Copy all the files to your hard drive. Download the setup.txt file that Tony posted above. Click on File - Save as and then save it as "setup.ini" (include the quotation marks). Replace the setup.ini in the root folder of the files on your hard drive with the one you saved. Run the installation and choose to install the machine on the computer (do not create deployment).
Message 50 of 139
Obankenobi

OK, just for the record books, I'm in the same situation. Downloaded 2015 Building Design Suite Premium through Firefox, anti-virus turned off, and the family templates did not load. Tried to install just them through the Control Panel, then tried uninstalling and reinstalling all of Revit again. No luck, and a wasted work day. Now I'll read through these pages and see if I can work a fix. I've already contacted my reseller and asked for hard copies of the programs.
Message 51 of 139
abilyeu

If I request the physical media again, will it now contain the revit libraries that were missing from the Design Suite? It is just going to be way easier to install off of the USB. We have 14 computers to do installations on and it is faster to do this with the USB. Thanks in advance.

Message 52 of 139
Anonymous
in reply to: abilyeu

To solve the issue, I just spoke with the vendor and had them give me all the families by USB. After uploading to the appropriate file location, everything was in working order.

Sent from my iPhone
Message 53 of 139
kubstix

Tony, thank you for the fix.  Does your fix of editing the setup.ini also work with the Autodesk 2015 Education Suite as well?  I have 50 desktops I need to deploy this too, and manually uninstalling/reinstalling things like this is not feasible.  Thank You.

Message 54 of 139
Tony_Michniewicz
in reply to: kubstix

I reviewed the content of the setup.ini file from the Autodesk Education Master Suite and verified that it contains the appropriate RCL2015 references in the Install Execute & UI Sequence section so those edits are not necessary.  However, I did notice that a RCL2015 reference is still included for the SUBCOMPONENT value under the RVT section.  If you are experiencing problems with the installation of Revit content from the Autodedsk Education Master Suite, I would recommend removing this RCL2015 reference.

Tony Michniewicz

Autodesk Revit QA

Tony Michniewicz
Message 55 of 139
kubstix

Tony, I see it as well but it's completely ignored on the install. Soon as I start Revit It errors on the Family Template File Location. No matter what I set, everytime I open the program this is still erroring. Kind of in a bind here.
Message 56 of 139
dtiemeyer
in reply to: bcampbell11

Bump! I scabbed the content from a trial install too, the 'content packs' aren't included in the massive downloads from Subscription portal.
My other CAD is a Cadillac and I like to Revit to the Max!
Message 57 of 139

For the Autodesk Education Master Suite, my suggestion would only work if you modified the setup.ini file prior to installing Revit Content Libraries. If you have already installed the suite, you would need to uninstall the Revit Content Libraries, modify the setup.ini file and the reinstall the Revit Content Libraries.

If you downloaded the Autodesk Education Master Suite installation, you should be able to modify the setup.ini file in place but this is not an option with physical media (USB stick), where the files are read only. In this scenario, you would need to copy the contents of the USB stick to your local hard drive (or shared network location), modify the setup.ini file and then install the Revit Content Libraries.

You should also verify that you have an active internet connection during the installation because the Revit Content Libraries needs to be downloaded. Also, depending on the number of content packs you've selected as well as your internet connection speed, downloading Revit Content Libraries can take several hours. Many customer let these installs run overnight to ensure adequate time for the required downloads.

Tony Michniewicz

Autodesk Revit QA

Tony Michniewicz
Message 58 of 139
kubstix

Tony is this what you are referring too when modifying the .ini portion that will fix this below?  

"I did notice that a RCL2015 reference is still included for the SUBCOMPONENT value under the RVT section.  If you are experiencing problems with the installation of Revit content from the Autodedsk Education Master Suite, I would recommend removing this RCL2015 reference."

This will fix my problem?  I have not deployed yet until I test everything very thoroughly so modifying the .ini before the deployment is made is not an issue.  Thank You.

Message 59 of 139
Tony_Michniewicz
in reply to: kubstix

I can't guarantee that this will resolve the Revit content problems you experienced during the Autodesk Education Master Suite installation.  However, my testing of a similar problem in the Autodesk Design Academy found that Revit content was not properly installed until the RCL2015 reference was removed from the SUBCOMPONENT value in the RVT section.

Tony Michniewicz

Autodesk Revit QA

Tony Michniewicz
Message 60 of 139
Anonymous
in reply to: bryon

There are way too many people having this issue to not be something that Autodesk did or didn't do, and perhaps there will be a fix for it. I have followed all these steps, everything is installed correctly; however, my Templates, and families folders are empty. I cannot continue uninstalling and reinstalling. Is there somewhere we can directly download this content from?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report