Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2015 Family Template File location

138 REPLIES 138
Message 1 of 139
bcampbell11
103009 Views, 138 Replies

Revit 2015 Family Template File location

Anybody know where the family template files are located now?   I have no template folders or "Libraries" Folder in the following location C:\Program Data\Autodesk\RVT 2015\. 

I am not sure if I need to reinstall Revit or look in a different spot.

Thanks!

138 REPLIES 138
Message 21 of 139

Scott,

Sorry...that doesn't work.  This is what I see in the Add Content dialog:  nothing!  If I press the Add Content button...it wants me to find some xml file on my local machine.  Am I supposed to know where to find that?

Capture.PNG

Message 22 of 139
klientemch
in reply to: CADdaddy.com

If You want to add content prepared for new version by Autodesk (predefined), You should see all possible content on list. Some of the content may be checked (it should be already installed). You adding or removing content by selecting or deselecting on this list, then You proceed with "Next" to update content. Files containing templates and Family templates are located in "ProgramData"-->Autodesk-->RLT 2015 (on LT version). ProgramData is a hidden folder (by default) placed usually on drive "C:" and if You don't see it go to 'C" click 'Organize" (located left on bar in folder's window)-->Folder options-->View-->select "Show hidden files, folders and drives"- from now on You should see "ProgramData" folder.

Message 23 of 139
TonyShapiro
in reply to: klientemch

Thanks for the help!
Message 24 of 139
CADdaddy.com
in reply to: klientemch

Yes...that is the way I would expect it to work.  There is nothing on the list though.  Completely blank.  Sorry I covered it up with that dialog box in the screenshot.  Can we just acknowledge that this is a bug and move on?  Clearly the download occasionally fails (for whatever reason).  The failure error is not caught and there is no verification that the files are actually present after the "download".

And again...what if I had a 1000 seats.  What makes Mr Davis so sure I could create a viable deployment that actually contains content?  If the same bit code is used to create the deployment then it would surely fail also.

James

Message 25 of 139
CADdaddy.com

Here is a shot of the blank dialog box...

no content.PNG

Message 26 of 139

James

The empty content pack list indicates that at least one file, maybe more, was not created during your original installation of Revit Architecture Content Libraries 2015. To determine if this is accurate, please check the contents of your <INSTALLDIR>\Autodesk\Revit Architecture Content 2015 English\ContentPacks folder, which should contain a master.xml file, a master.xsd file and 13 language specific folders. If the master.xml file is missing, you will not see any entries in the content pack list.

If the master.xml file is missing from this location, you should check your original Revit Architecture installation files. Specifically, you want to review the contents of the C:\Autodesk\Autodesk_Revit_Architecture_2015...\Content\Revit folder, which should contain the master.xml and master.xsd files along with a folder named "en". If these files are missing, it indicates that your download of the Revit Architecture installation files did not complete successfully.

If these files are missing, my recommendation would be to delete the contents of the C:\Autodesk\Autodesk_Revit_Architecture_2015... folder and re-download the installation files. Once that action is complete, disable and anti-virus software and launch the Revit Architecture installer. When you get to the Configure Installation page, expand the Autodesk Revit Architecture Content Libraries 2015 entry and verify that the list of content packs is populated and the desired content packs have been checked. If so, continue with the installation, which should now download and install the appropriate content.

By the way, we are monitoring the Revit 2015 content download issues that customers are reporting. Restricted internet connectivity is causing failures in some instances while incomplete downloads of the original installation files has been identified as the culprit in other cases.

Tony Michniewicz
Autodesk Revit QA

Tony Michniewicz
Revit Software QA Analyst
Message 27 of 139
bcampbell11
in reply to: bcampbell11

FYI, as I stated earlier in this discussion, my biggest mistake was trying to install via the internet.  I have since been using the usb drive to install the software which has been much more stable so far in our office.  I have always requested physical media and probably always will.  The whole internet install idea has failed up to this point in my opinion.

Message 28 of 139

Nothing appears missing here that you mentioned...

Capture.PNG

This is what the "en" folder looks like:

Capture2.PNG

Here is a screen shot that I took a while back on my last attempt at installation (I used the Autodesk "Uninstall Tool" prior to this installation) .  Note that when you are installing Revit from a download you can't pick and choose the content you want to install.  I was very careful to make sure I checked this configuration prior to this re-install.

Capture3.PNG

James

Message 29 of 139
klientemch

...yes it's wierd. I suggest to uninstall all Revit with its content using method described by Tony Michniewicz (greetings from Poland by the way)- I uninstaIled application using Autodesk Uninstall Tool. I don't have idea, that after Tony's method some files of Revit are still present but I suggest to delete all files refered to old installation. After all that it's good to make new installation from DVD or .exe file downloaded from Subscription Center- it my opinion of course because there is something wierd with installation via internet (instalator don't check that donwnloaded files are correct ?)

Message 30 of 139

Hi James

Well, it looks like the necessary files are present so it is unclear why your content pack list is unpopulated. At this point, we have three options:

Option 1 - Uninstall and reinstall Autodesk Revit Architecture Content Libraries 2015 using the following steps:
1. Using the Windows Control Panel, uninstall Autodesk Revit Architecture Content Libraries 2015.
2. Manually delete the following folder if it still exists: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Revit Architecture Content 2015 English.
3. Delete your existing Revit Architecture installer files, C:\Autodesk\WI\Autodesk Revit Architecture 2015.
4. Delete the contents of your Windows temp folder, which can be accessed by typing %temp% in the Windows Explorer address bar.
5. Disable any anti-virus software running on your system.
6. Download a new copy of the Revit Architecture 2015 installer files (preferably using the Download Now option to ensure that the full installation package is available prior to launching the installation).
7. Launch the Revit Architecture 2015 installation from the newly download installer files. When you get to the Configure Installation page, expand the Revit Architecture Content Libraries 2015 entry and see if the content pack list is populated. If so, proceed with the installation.

Option 2 - Post your existing xml and log files for review. Based on the contents of these files, we may be able to identify what is causing your content installation problems. Specifically, we would be looking for the following files:
C:\Autodesk\WI\Autodesk Revit Architecture 2015\Content\Revit\master.rac.xml
C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Revit Architecture Content 2015 English\ContentPacks\master.xml
%temp%\Autodesk Revit Architecture Content Libraries 2015 Install.log
%temp%\ContentPackUI.log
%temp%\cp_Install.log

Option 3 - Contact Autodesk product support and request a direct link to a zip file that contains the Revit Architecture 2015 content files.

By the way, the "media does not contain content and will be downloaded during installation" message is not an error. It's a simple message that informs users that content is not included in this install package and therefore it needs to be downloaded during the installation process. The reason we remove content files from our web (Install Now) and DLM (Download Now) installer is to reduce their size, making it easier for users to download.

Also, independent of the install type (physical media, Install Now, or Download Now), you should be able to select your desired content packs during the installation process. While we have had other reports of content download problems, this is the first report in which the content pack list is blank.

Tony Michniewicz

Autodesk Revit QA

Tony Michniewicz
Message 31 of 139

Tony Michniewicz,

I was working on this as you posted yours with the 3 options.  I'll post this any since it might be of interest.  I basically gave it one last try based on the past suggestions:

Manual uninstalls did not work...all three had same message even though they were all installed.

manual uninstall.PNG

1. I uninstalled everything using Autodesk Uninstall Tool...again.
  2. deleted everything I was comfortable deleting:
     C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Revit Architecture 2015
     C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RAC 2015
     C:\Users\Jamey\AppData\Local\Autodesk\Revit\Autodesk Revit Architecture 2015
     C:\Users\Jamey\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\Revit\Autodesk Revit Architecture 2015
  3. deleted keys:
     HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Revit\Autodesk Revit Architecture 2015
     HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Autodesk\Revit\Autodesk Revit Architecture 2015
  4. Downloaded latest install
  5. Content is checked:
      content is checked.PNG

6. This is wierd...it thinks my E: drive is not valid....It must not like the root of a drive because "E:\Autodesk\My Projects" is accepted.
    drive not valid.PNG

7. Everything appears to install just fine...EXCEPT THE EXACT SAME THING HAPPENS!  NO CONTENT. 

Could it actually be that 14GB free is not enough?  Even if that were the case the installer should be detecting low disk space. I'll look for those log and xml files when I have some time next week.

James

Message 32 of 139
ewartleon
in reply to: AJA14

Actually there are two options and "add content" is not one of the options. I am having the same problem, any work around?

Message 33 of 139
AJA14
in reply to: ewartleon

Hi,

In 2015, Autodesk made the content installer separate. So in the uninstall program, look for Revit 2015 contents, uninstall, choose add content, and you're done.

Regards,

Ali Al-Hammoud
Structural Design Engineer
MZ & Partners Engineering Consultancy
Message 34 of 139
IMCornish

Despite all the posts answering your query, which I admit I have not read completelly, I note that your title for this post is 'Revit 2015 Family Template File Location', you then go on to cite the 'Libraries' folder as the new location.  However, 'Template' files are found at ProgramData>Autodesk>RVT 2015>Family Templates>English (assuming you have the UK version.  The location you have given is for 'Content Families'.  Are you sure that they are not there?

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
Message 35 of 139
ewartleon
in reply to: AJA14

Got it, done. Thank you much.
Message 36 of 139

Tony,

I had deleted the files in my temp folder so I had to reinstall RAC2015 again just to get the logs back.  This time I installed directly from the C: drive instead of my E: drive (logical drive on same disk).  Same result.  Logs are attached.

Thanks,

James LeVieux

Message 37 of 139

Tony,

I took one last stab at this and thought I would share my results.

1. I was using the "browser download" installer.  I decided to follow Option 1 to the letter and use the "Download Now" option.
  2. I had a different path setting for %TEMP% and temp %TMP%.  I changed them to the same path.
  3. I Confirmed that content was checked prior to running installation.

Same result...no content.

Message 38 of 139

Hi James

Unfortunately, I'm not really sure why the content portion of the installation is not working for you but it certainly isn't from lack of trying!  At this point, I believe our best option would be to have you download the content separately.  Please contact me at tony.michniewicz@autodesk.com and I can guide you through this process.

Tony Michniewicz

Autodesk Revit QA

Tony Michniewicz
Message 39 of 139
abilyeu

Ok I am having the same problem. I have installed Autodesk Design Academy Suite which includes Revit 2015. So when I open Revit I get an error that says Default Family Template File Invalid. It's basically saying it can't find the templates. I have ready the other comments in this post where people say to go to the control panel and find Revit Content Libraries 2015 and then add what I need to add. That sounds easy enough, but Revit Content Libraries 2015 is not listed at all. I ran a search on my computer and it is not there. I have uninstalled every program that came with the software suite and did a complete reinstall making sure that every option was checked. The Revit Content Library 2015 is still not there. What am I missing or forgetting. Thanks in advance.

Message 40 of 139
josephds
in reply to: abilyeu

I am also installing the ADA package just as Abilyeu describes, read the posts, followed instructions, still having the same result. The Revit Content Library is not listed. I have tried from the download and physical media. I started by creating a deployment but also tried to install as stand alone and I still do not get an option for Revit Content.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report