Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2014 + RCP Point Cloud Visibility ?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
ZanePaxton3471
1992 Views, 4 Replies

Revit 2014 + RCP Point Cloud Visibility ?

I have been anxiously awaiting the implementation of the new Alice Labs Point Cloud engine into the suite.

I am now comparing:

• Revit 2013 with the PCP format point cloud
  • Revit 2014 with Recap then using the new native RCS and then RCP format point clouds.

It is looking like the on-screen visibility in 2014 is slightly worse than 2013! 

• The pixels are bigger,
  • There appears to be more noise filtering
  • on-screen detail is even harder to see with some parts of views disappearing entirely....

I've tried recreating the new point cloud formats with the decimation set to 1 Pixel and noise net to none.

I really need 2014's implementation of point clouds to be at least as good as 2013 to jump into 2014.

I'd like to hear what others are experiencing.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Did you try to use the point display slider to reduce the size of a dot?

Message 3 of 5
adam
in reply to: ZanePaxton3471

We are also seeing our point clouds disappear entirely at tighter zoom levels. It is a real problem when modelling details and zooming in for accuracy. We have had to revert back to 2013 for several jobs. It's quite disappointing considering the promise of the Alice Labs engine.

Message 4 of 5
ShubinJ

There is a thread and video here showing this same problem with RCS files 😞

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Revit-Architecture/Point-cloud-disappears-partially-revit-201...

Message 5 of 5
richardh

Zane-

I have been recommending Kubit’s VirtuSurv for Revit to my customers as a way to help enhance the Revit workflow. It makes it so you can use the images and the point cloud to send live data directly into Revit. So you don't need the point cloud in Revit to model for the time being. Of course we all want everything to be built into Revit but until then this a great solution that many of my clients are very excited about. Here is a link to check out a video of the software.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRahU5W2bP0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report