Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

REVIT 2014 ON WINDOWS 8.1

36 REPLIES 36
SOLVED
Message 1 of 37
sanch104
5728 Views, 36 Replies

REVIT 2014 ON WINDOWS 8.1

Hey Autodesk Community,

Ive been having problems with Revit 2014 on windows 8.1. Ive recently partitioned my macbook pro with retina display and installed windows 8.1 and I noticed that it does not allow me to save any work that I have done. Also the ribbon at the top disappears and have wave my mouse over it to see it. In addition, the bottom right hand corner flickers on and off and I need to use revit for my project thats due in 3 weeks! SOMEONE HELP ME!!!

36 REPLIES 36
Message 21 of 37

Brillant. The combination of reducing the display scaling and updating the registry setting worked. Much fustration ended. Thank you very much. If you are in Ireland or London, I owe you a pint!

Message 22 of 37

To summarize the solution by lars-ake.johansson

The problem is most likely the desktop scaling. Revit will have issues with the Ribbon, Quick Acces Toolbar and the Optionbar if the scaling is set to high.

Open “Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display”

Change the display scaling to a maximum of 150% (set it to a value between 100% and 150%)

(You might have to check the box “Let me choose one scaling for all my displays” to see that actual value)

There is also another possible issue on some systems (GeForce, Mac Retina).

Even if you turn off hardware acceleration in Revit, the Application frame (Ribbon, QAT) will still run with HA and that can cause issues on some non-workstation graphics.

You can turn off hardware acceleration for the Application frame (but still use it in Revit) by a registry setting.

Attached you will find a zip-file with two registry files:

-> unpack it somewhere on your system.

-> Double click on then file “Disable RibbonHA.reg” and select to import it to your registry.

The file contains one setting that will disable the Microsoft Avalon graphics.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Avalon.Graphics]

"DisableHWAcceleration"=dword:00000001

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Revit-Architecture/REVIT-2014-ON-WINDOWS-8-1/m-p/5129362#M80138

Thanks for solution

BIMologist / Dr. Revit
Autodesk Expert Elite Member
Approved Autodesk Services Marketplace provider - BIM Consulting
Autodesk Expert Elite Member

If you find this reply helpful, please use the Accept Solution or Like button below
Message 23 of 37
rob
Explorer
in reply to: tobiseun97

I'm experiencing the same flickering/flashing in Revit 2015 on our Dell M3800 laptops running Windows 8.1.  We're using the Autodesk Certified drivers for the NVIDIA Quadro K1100M and the latest updates for Revit.  Hardware Acceleration is unchecked, Use Optimized View Navigation is unchecked, and Smooth Lines with anti-aliasing is unchecked.  Most of the features in the NVIDIA control panel are switched to off to troubleshoot the issue, including All Anti-Aliasing features. (FXAA, etc).  The flickering occurs across the bottom tool bar where two pulldowns exist.  The Menu Ribbon at the top of Revit is blank until the cursor is hovered over the tool buttons which causes them to appear.  Revit & the video card drivers have been reinstalled more than once at this point. I have a ticket open with Autodesk on the issue, w/o a response thus far. DXDIAG shows no issues with DirectX11 on the system.

Autodesk...please advise!

Thanks.

R

Message 24 of 37
lars-ake.johansson
in reply to: rob

Hi,

It is most likely the same issue as described above; the Desktop Scaling is set to more than 150% (most likely to 200%)

Just lower the scale factor and log out / log in again to apply the setting.

Regards

Lars-Ake Johansson
Sr. SQA Engineer
Message 25 of 37
rob
Explorer
in reply to: lars-ake.johansson

Yes.  Sure is.  i've set the Desktop Scaling to 150% and then 125% to troubleshoot, and, Revit 2015's Menu Ribbon and toolbar at the bottom seem fine now.  The flickering has stopped. I went a step further, and restored the settings in the NVIDIA Control Panel, but also left the Hardware Acceleration unchecked in Revit.  Revit is still working fine.

Thank you for the response.

R

Message 26 of 37
lars-ake.johansson
in reply to: rob

You should be able to enable hardware acceleration on the Dell M3800/K1100M without any problems.

The only potential issue should be the desktop scaling.....

Lars-Ake Johansson
Sr. SQA Engineer
Message 27 of 37
tobiseun97
in reply to: BIMologist_

Thank you so much for your help, this has solved the problem and I have not experienced any hiccups since. My only question is when I am not using Revit, should I renable the Microsoft Avalon Graphics? And does disabling the Microsoft Avalon Graphics affect my computer in any other way?
Message 28 of 37

It will affect other applications using WPF (Windows Presentation Foundation) and have the hardware setting on for that graphics.

I have done some testing with other products like Microsoft Office and have not noticed any degradations or issues with this setting.

In the zip-file that was attached to the earlier post, there is also a reg-file to enable the Avalon graphics again if needed.

Also note that from Revit 2015 Update Release 3, this registry setting should not be needed, the WPF hardware acceleration is turned off in Revit.

Graphics Rendering Registry Settings

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa970912(v=vs.110).aspx

Windows Presentation Foundation

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms754130(v=vs.110).aspx

Lars-Ake Johansson
Sr. SQA Engineer
Message 29 of 37

Thank you for that information and the links, and again, thank you so much for the overall solution.

Message 30 of 37
rnls
in reply to: sanch104

Message 31 of 37

Lars,

Thanks so much as I have the exact samre machine (Dell XPS 15) and was expereincing the exact same issues (blinkingtool bar, missing buttons on ribbon until you hovered over them).

But although the system is "fixed", I can't see anything with screen resolution at 150%... Everything, including items inside revit is too small to make any sense out of. Is there any other workaround? I switch back and forth between multiple programs and can't read any of them...

Thanks,

Ryan

Message 32 of 37
igkolleff
in reply to: BIMologist_

thank youuuuuuu man 

Message 33 of 37
chrisplyler
in reply to: Leb0wski1

"But although the system is "fixed", I can't see anything with screen resolution at 150%... Everything, including items inside revit is too small to make any sense out of. Is there any other workaround? I switch back and forth between multiple programs and can't read any of them..."

Screen resolution is not at 150%. That's magnification, not resolution. Change your actual resolution to some smaller numbers and everything will get bigger.

Message 34 of 37

You just need to balance it. Just scale the resolution to 1920x1200 on Control Panel>Apperence and Personalization>Display>Screen Resolution and everything will becone ridiculously big. Then go back to the magnifier thing and instead of 150%, pick 125% and you have the perfect balance.

Best,

Matt.

Message 35 of 37
vivi-cs27
in reply to: HuubAdeHaas

Hi,

I have a very similar problem you were having with my DELL xps 15. Your post is from 2014, could you ever solve it? I need to fix this urgently, I bought this computer basically to be able to use revit. And it's not happening.

Please if you know the answer or solution, help me. 

Thank you

Message 36 of 37
rnls
in reply to: vivi-cs27

You just need to balance it. Just scale the resolution to 1920x1200 on Control Panel>Apperence and Personalization>Display>Screen Resolution and everything will becone ridiculously big. Then go back to the magnifier thing and instead of 150%, pick 125% and you have the perfect balance.

Basically, adjust the magnification, even by one or two points can fix it.

Sent from my iPhone
Message 37 of 37
vivi-cs27
in reply to: rnls

Thank you so much! It worked!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report