Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2014: Critical Issue With Curtain Panels.

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Corbin_S
3763 Views, 9 Replies

Revit 2014: Critical Issue With Curtain Panels.

Hello,

For some reason in Revit 2014. Curtain Panels are having strange issues whenever you edit and reload the family back into the project causing the modified curtain panel's horizontally flipped orientation to an incorrect position.

This is causing a lot of issues, becaus most of the buildings are using curtain walls as the main exterior wall. Smiley Frustrated

I have found one work-around for the time being by changing the 'Family Category and Parameters' in the family environment from Curtain Panels to either Doors or Windows.

This will stop the family from flipping when loading the family back into the project as a temporary solution.

Family Category.PNG

I looked into why the 'Curtain Panels' Subcatagory was causing issues, and I found a new Revit 2014 Curtain Panel, Family Parameter that was included in the Door and Window Category, but, not in the Curtain Panels Category.

The new Family Parameter that is missing in the Curtain Panels Subcategory is called: 'Room Calculation Point'. This new Family Parameter is not in previous versions of Revit.

Here is a snapshot of all three Categories showing the new parameter in window & door, but not in the curtain panel:

• Curtain Panels:

1.PNG

• Doors:

2.PNG

• Windows:

3.PNG

Is there any way to add the Room Calculation Point parameter to the Curtain Panels? I think this might fix the issue.

Please look into this problem. 

Respectfully,

Corbin S.

Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: Corbin_S

If you change your curtain panels to be doors or windows, how are you going to schedule your curtain panels, or your doors or your windows, properly?

The room calculation point parameter serves a different function, not at all related to the flipping or the incorrect position of curtain panels.

There are some "flip" controls and parameters that could fix the location of panels, which vary depending on the type of family. Are you talking about pattern-based curtain panels for curtain systems or curtain panels for curtain walls? Custom curtain panels usually create issues when you edit the the profile of the curtain wall. It would be good to know a little more information about the issues that you are having. Maybe there is another solution.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 10
Corbin_S
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Hello,

Thank you for the response.

Scheduling would be the drawback for this work-around. But if you needed to do a schedule before this issue is resolved. I guess you would need to filter out by name. For example in a door schedule, under filter: name does not equal/contain "window or generic". Therefore, you would need to come up with a new naming convention for your curtain panels so your schedule can filter out different genres on names.

I know this isn't proper, but, it should work as an temporary solution.

The families I am talking about are Curtain Wall Panels for multiple uses of a exterior curtain wall, not a curtain system. The profiles of the wall have not been touched. These curtain walls are being used as exteriors for high-rise office/residential buildings as seen in the attached example image.

I have been using all forms of flip controls. However, whenever I use horizontal flip control, and when the curtain panel is assigned as a 'curtain panel'. That is when I get the issue of moving flips and locations =(

The reason I thought the room calculation point parameter might be causing the issue was because it might be relating to exterior/interior settings. Also because it is new to Revit 2014, and that is was only showing up in the Door & Window subcategory of the family parameters, but not in the curtain panels subcategory.

I attached a demo Revit file I made for you (just a curtain wall with all three categories) that relates to this issue. Please open the file and try for yourself. Try making a curtain wall and flip curtain panels with "horizontal flip controls", then edit/reload each curtain panel to see what happens.

Last thing. Do you know if it is possible to create or modify categories/subcategories within a family?

Respectfully,

Corbin S.
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 10
rwilson
in reply to: Corbin_S

I am having the same problem.  I have a tower with large amounts of custom curtain panels that is continually being updated, but the panels come in flipped so the exterior side is facing towards the interior.  It is not really workable to add the controls and reflip every panel (there are thousands of them).  Is there any patch in the works on this?

Message 5 of 10
richardsachs4475
in reply to: rwilson

I have also encountered this problem on 3 large towers with pretty complex facades. One we caught pretty early but two are now in CA and this has proven to be a disaster, one of these projects had over 100 families we had to examine and fix. The unfortunate drawback to switching to windows from curtain panels aside from tagging and scheduling which fortunately was not a problem for us is the fact that "windows" don't cut the same was as curtain wall panels and this has caused some pretty significant plan issues since many of our panels slope either in plane or out of plane and using symbolic lines to represent these is just about impossible or managing the plan appearance of cut geometry proved equally difficult.

I also theorized the new room calculation point in 2014 was the culprit although it seemed like a stretch. I contacted Autodesk and was informed this was a known issue but could not be given more specifics about when we could expect a fix. I have advised other teams in the firm not to use the flip control at all until this is resolved or make their curtain panels windows which is less than ideal.

All in all very surprising and disappointing bug that I hope gets addressed as soon as possible.

Message 6 of 10

I am also having this issue.  It is a very large problem and is terrifying as we approach our deadline.  It also seems that panels that do not have a flip control will sometimes be flipped in terms of left to right.  I have to add a flip control just to get the left side on the left.

Thanks.

Message 7 of 10

It appears from my preliminary testing that this bug has been fixed in 2015

Message 8 of 10

That is fantastic news!  We are not yet on 2015, but may need to upgrade to resolve this issue.  Thanks for the info!

Message 9 of 10

I was very relieved to see it had been addressed. For current projects we are too far down the road with tagging and scheduling after changing our curtain panels to "windows" to address the bug but its great news for future projects. My firm was considering skipping deploying 2015 until we learned this had been fixed.

Message 10 of 10
Corbin_S
in reply to: richardsachs4475

Thank you for letting us know!

That is ironic. I justed installed Revit 2015 two days ago, and that was one of the first things I noticed. I was just about to update this post.

So far I love the new features, and performance increase for Revit 2015! I personally can't wait until we get it installed at our office... Until then I will be playing around with it at on my new laptop =D. This laptop is insane!

P.S. Revit is the best software I have ever used. Long live Revit!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report