Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2014 Crashes when Modeling

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
473 Views, 9 Replies

Revit 2014 Crashes when Modeling

Hello All,

I have been trying for weeks to come up with a solution to Revit crashing when I am modeling. The problem that there is not any one thing or any combination of commands that I have noticed that sets Revit up for the crash. Sometimes I can work for an hour or two and other times I can only be in Revit for a few minutes before it crashes. When I say crashes, I mean that Revit is "Not Responding" and the little wheel of death just sits and spins. I have left Revit "to think " for more then a couple of hours and nothing happens. The wheel just spins. I have gone so far as to purchase a new desktop computer with an Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1650 v2 @ 3.50GHz processor, 32 GB of RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K4000 Graphics Card, 19161 MB Gaming Graphics and 500GB Primary Hard Disk and an hour and a half of working on it, Revit Crashed. 

If anyone as any information on what I can do PLEASE reply.

Thank you in advance.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
ennujozlagam
in reply to: Anonymous

hi, your computer specs is more than enough to run Revit.

have you installed all the latest updates from autodesk?

Remember : without the difficult times in your LIFE, you wouldn't be who you are today. Be grateful for the good and the bad. ANGER doesn't solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything...
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: ennujozlagam

Yes I have. I did that before I opened any project.

Message 4 of 10
ennujozlagam

hi, Maybe this one can help, i found this.

What causes Revit to Crash?

I've been asked this a few times so I thought I would share some of my experiences on why Revit may crash or you get insufficient resources messages...

IMO - the most common reason for Revit to crash at our firm is the lack of resources (RAM). Most of our computers have at least 2 GB or RAM and up to 4 GB). The majority of our users have 4GB...

Our PCs range from 3.8 Pentium 4's to Core 2 duo (better) and we're running on XP Pro (32 bit) at the moment, so adding more RAM won't help because of the OS and it's RAM limitation. We do have the 3 GB switch enabled on most PC's, (a few just didn't like this setting so we couldn't utilize..). You can go here is you want more information on this subject.

SOLUTION: 64 bit OS with at least 8 GB of RAM... (now if money only grew on trees!)

If you don't have this as a option, then you can also use the Worksharing Monitor's System Performance Monitor to help catch a low resource issue prior to it happening. As you can see in my System Performance monitor, running a 64 bit OS (Windows 7) with 8 GB of RAM, I have ton's of resources compared to a 32 bit OS with 2GB of RAM. Also, with notifications on when using the Worksharing Monitor, you will get a window popup window letting you know you're running low and had better save.

Windows XP - PRo - 32 bit:

Windows 7 - 64 bit:

Another issue that will not  cause a crash, but will prohibit you from saving due to insufficient resources when your temp folder is full. What is full you may ask? I asked Revit support the same question and didn't get a definitive answer, but I can tell you this, if Revit crashes and you don't clean out this folder (see more on this below), you WILL have this problem eventually... My guess is if you get around 1 GB of "stuff" in there, you'll start to have problems.

Revit creates temp files during normal use of the application. When Revit closes normally, these files are deleted. If you crash, they are not... and they can take up quite a bit of space. Here is an example of the files I'm talking about and you can see that they're pretty big. As you can see, this is only one day - imagine if you crash multiple times over different days!

SOLUTION:
Close any running applications, then go to >Start >Run and type in %temp%. This will get you quickly to the temp folder. Delete anything that is not today's date and all Revit temp files. You'll probably have a bunch of other windows files in there that can also be deleted, but if you're nervous about deleting them, just remove the Revit temp files.

Good luck and enjoy!

Remember : without the difficult times in your LIFE, you wouldn't be who you are today. Be grateful for the good and the bad. ANGER doesn't solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything...
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

Ennujozlagam, thank you for your time and information on my problem.  I have plenty of RAM at 32.0 GB, I am not sure about the switch I will ask my I.T. today what we have. The System Performance Monitor I didn't know about so I will try that aswell today. I empty my temp file folder everyday before I open anything and am still having problems.

My last resort is to uninstall and reinstall, but I just got this computer late last week and the first program installed was the Design Suite I am haveing issues with. I am not sure how much cleaner of an install I can get with the Design Suite being the first program. Again, I'm not sure if the reinstall is going to be a waste of time or not.

I am also experienceing very slow lag when doing anything. Zooming in and out, panning, placing family types, ect.

It seems that the computer isn't powerful enough, but I know that is not correct.

Thank you again for your help and any other information you can share with me. 

Message 6 of 10
ennujozlagam

Hi since that is new computer try to download all driver example graphics driver etc etc. Last resort uninstall program and install back . Thanks

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

I went to Autodesk and downloaded the latest approved driver yesterday with no change in performance.

I am going to try a repair install and see if anything changes.

When I talked to my I.T. they said that I just have to live with the lag and performance issues. They think it is because of the project we are working on and the size of the model I am using.

I have an Electrical file that I am working off of that is 80MB with 31 Linked in revit files.

Message 8 of 10
scott.a.green

Is this issue occuring with only one project or all projects?

Here are some additional resources for you:

Model Performance Technical Note:

http://download.autodesk.com/us/revit/revit_performance/autodesk_revit_2014_model_performance_techni...

Improving Performance of Revit Projects:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/getting-started/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/...

Rules to Improve Performance - By IMAGINiT:

http://blogs.rand.com/architectural/2012/03/rules-to-improve-performance-in-revit.html

So to clarify, when Revit crashes, it doesn't produce any error messages correct? It basically "hangs up" or "freezes"?

First Name Last Name or First Name.Last Initial
Public Facing Job Title
Link Name | Link Name | Link Name | Link Name
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: scott.a.green

Good Afternoon T_Grees,

It seems to be worse with the project I am currently working.

I opened three other projects and had minimal problems. 6MB project almost no lag, 1/2 sec or so. 19MB project 1 to 2 sec lag and 92 MB project 2 to 3 sec. lag on everything but zooming in and out. Then I had 8 to 9 sec. lag.

I have printed out the addition resources to start with this afternoon.

The message I get is attached. I have a case with Autodesk Support Team currently. Did you want my case number and who is handling the case?

An error report window pops-up and states: " A Software problem has caused Revit 2014 to close unexpectedly. " In my journal file the error message of " Pure Virtual Function Call!!! Go to crash protection. "

At the top of my revit window that is open it says " Not Responding " I have left this run or think for more than 2 hours before and nothing happens.

Message 10 of 10
scott.a.green

I will contact you directly as I will need to test that file. 

First Name Last Name or First Name.Last Initial
Public Facing Job Title
Link Name | Link Name | Link Name | Link Name

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report