Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2014 crashes at startup

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
1294 Views, 4 Replies

Revit 2014 crashes at startup

I am trying to open a Revit 2011 file in Revit 2014. I have installed 2014, and have been using it for weeks upgrading other 2011 files to 2014. This one file is giving me issues. I get a messages saying "an unrecoverable error when upgrading file". What would cause this one file to crash Revit 2014? I have tried this on multiple computers on my network, and they all crash when opening this file. And suggestions?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
DarrenP
in reply to: Anonymous

does it open in 2011?

can you audit the file in 2011?

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: DarrenP

Yes, it still works in 2011 just fine.

I tried auditing it in 2014, and I got the same message and the file would not open. Then I went back to 2011 to audit and save as a new central file, but 2014 still crashed opening that file. 

Message 4 of 5
David_W_Koch

Do you have any versions of Revit between 2011 and 2014 available?  Can you successfully upgrade the 2011 file to one of those, and then take that file and upgrade it to 2014?

I have read elsewhere that the recommended procedure for upgrading files is to do so one release at a time.  Whether or not doing so would help in your case remains to be seen.  And it does not bode well for repeat work five or ten years later in a building done in an earlier version of Revit, as the licensing for all of the intermediate files may not be available (if using network licenses).  Having someone go through all old projects and upgrade each file to the current release each year also seems unlikely to happen in most firms.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 5 of 5
kilborn

I can't answer the question as one of the projects here remains on 2013 - it is 192 MB and 235 errors which could contribute to the troubles.  I ma going to go thru the warnings and see if lowering them will help.

It isn't as hard as it seems to bulk update  there is a utility that ships with Revit, for my install -C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Revit 2014\en-US\Utilities\ContentBatchUtility it'll update all files in a folder.  There also is an app in the Exchange place which does similar but it wants the new version copied someplace else.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report