Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2013 won't work correctly when installed on a Macbook Pro Retina

24 REPLIES 24
Message 1 of 25
timh77
3911 Views, 24 Replies

Revit 2013 won't work correctly when installed on a Macbook Pro Retina

Please could someone help me? I have just bought a Macbook Pro Retina and I have installed Windows 7 Professional using Boot Camp. I then downloaded and installed Revit 2013. When I open a file in Revit, the 2 drop down menu's at the bottom of the page continuously flicker (shown by the arrows on the attached screen shot). Also, the ribbon menu across the top the screen and the menu down the left hand side don't show up (this can also be seen in the screen shot), unless I hover the cursor over the menu.

Please note: I have tried disabling the "Use Hardware Acceleration" option, but this doesn't fix the issue. Also, I have the Update Release 2 installed, which is currently the latest version.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, as I desperately need Revit working for my Uni work.

Thanks very much in advance.    

24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
dzanta
in reply to: timh77

sounds like a bad install...try a repair, then a reinstall then a removal/reinstall if necessary..then sp2 install after that...you can also allocate more RAM to the virtual environment

Dzan Ta, AEE, ASM, ACI.

EESignature

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Autodesk Community | Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | LinkedIn

Win 11 Pro/DELL XPS 15 9510/i9 3.2GHz/32GB RAM/Nvidia RTX 3050Ti/1TB PCIe SSD/4K 15.4" Non-Touch Display

Message 3 of 25
timh77
in reply to: dzanta

Thanks for the reply. I have already tried uninstalling and then reinstalling Revit 3 times with SP2, but unfortunately it hasn't fixed the issue! Also, I have tried running Revit using Boot Camp and Parallels, but both have the same issues. 

Message 4 of 25
afitch

I just had this problem today. If you go into your control panel for Windows and click on Appearance and Personalization then click Fonts then Change font size, set it to smaller or medium and then log off and log back in to apply the settings. That should fix it! It worked for me

Message 5 of 25
timh77

Thanks for the reply. I have just tried this but unfortunately it doesn't seem to work.  

Message 6 of 25
christopher.kotmel

I am having the exact same problems, flickering drop down menus etc. The program is running far too slowly and is basically inoperable, like you I have tried reinstalling and running in parallels. Have you found a fix yet?

Message 7 of 25
timh77
in reply to: christopher.kotmel

No, unfortunately i haven't found a solution yet. I have tried running Revit using both Bootcamp and Parallels with both Windows 7 and 8, but it still doesn't work.  

Message 8 of 25
dzanta

Hi, Please clarify as to "it won't work correctly." Dzan Ta Applications Engineer Repro Products p. 770-434-3050 f. 770-434-4218 www.reproproducts.com[cid:image001.jpg@01CDE8C6.77866F00] [cid:image002.jpg@01CDE8C6.77866F00]

Dzan Ta, AEE, ASM, ACI.

EESignature

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Win 11 Pro/DELL XPS 15 9510/i9 3.2GHz/32GB RAM/Nvidia RTX 3050Ti/1TB PCIe SSD/4K 15.4" Non-Touch Display

Message 9 of 25
timh77
in reply to: dzanta

When a file is opened in Revit, the 2 drop down menu's at the bottom of the page continuously flicker. Also, the ribbon menu across the top the screen and the menu down the left hand side don't show up, unless I hover the cursor over the menu. christopher.kotmel suggested "the program is running far too slowly and is basically inoperable"?

Message 10 of 25
dzanta

>From within Parallel's desktop (windows 7 virtual), I would remove the software via control panel, then do a clean uninstall (see link), then do a registry clean via CCleaner (see link), then reboot, then reinstall with any anti-virus/spyware/malware software turned off. Clean uninstall: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=2887771&linkID=9240617 CCleaner software: http://download.cnet.com/CCleaner/3000-18512_4-10315544.html?tag=mncol;1 You may want to double check any Parallel's or virtual software settings that pertain to registry input/firewall/etc. Dzan Ta Applications Engineer Repro Products p. 770-434-3050 f. 770-434-4218 www.reproproducts.com[cid:image001.jpg@01CDE8C6.77866F00] [cid:image002.jpg@01CDE8C6.77866F00]

Dzan Ta, AEE, ASM, ACI.

EESignature

EESignature

Message 11 of 25
christopher.kotmel

I thought I should add further details, I believe the problem is that the program is not making use of enough RAM. I have trialled 64 bit Windows using bootcamp (both 7 and 😎 and the system is saying I have access to all 16GB of RAM. I try something as simple as placing a wall in a new project and the fan speeds up rapidly before the program freezes. The entire time the program is running, task manager shows revit using a maximum of only 300-400MB. Loading the sample project has the same results, the program freezes within a minute of trying to do one simple task like zooming in on a plan. Again the RAM usage doesn't go over 400MB, surely the program should be using more. The entire system is using only 2GB, and task manager says there is 14GB available.

Message 12 of 25
ameshill

Has anyone found a solution to this issue? I find that if I select DirectX9 vs. DirectX10 (which also puts Revit into hardware emulation mode) the menus stop flickering....however, the graphics card in my MBP fails to be utilized. In reality, it fails to be utilized even when DirectX10 is turned on.....so much for parallels being able to correctly translate the hardware for windows....very frustrating. 

In case it's relevant, I'm using Windows 7 Professional (up to date), Revit 2013 and Parallels 8.....15" MacBook Pro is brand new and fully loaded (16gb memory, etc.). 8gb of memory and all 8 cores of the processor have been allocated to the virtual machine. I've allocated 1gb of video memory as well (I've changed this value around and it's had no effect), so there's no issue re: lack of available system resources. 

Message 13 of 25
judith

Has anyone found a solution to this? I have been working on the same set up (Macbook pro with retina, Windows 7, Parallels 8 and Revit 2013 for 3 months. Except for resolution issues like some text really small it worked fine then 5 days ago it started doing exactly what is decribed here. Reinstalls and 1 1/2 gotomeeting with Paralles has not fixed it.

Message 14 of 25
judith

For anyone still having this problem a remote session with Paralles fixed it. Evidently Windows and retina are not compatable but with these settings below from Paralles Revit loads and is readable..

During the remote session we have set up the following settings for the virtual machine: in the menu bar in Virtual machine > Configure > Hardware > Video we have chosen 'Scaled'.
Inside the virtual machine we have changed the screen resolution to 1440*900; also we have changed the size of the text to 'Smaller (100%)'.

Message 15 of 25
christopher.kotmel

I've solved the issue. Revit 2014 is working perfectly on Windows 8 using bootcamp.

Message 16 of 25

Just to clarify - are you saying that Revit 2014 and Parallels/Windows 8 work 'out of the box', i.e. no modification needed? 

judithparmlee, thanks so much for sharing the information - is parallels saying that you have to use a 1440x900 resolution in order for the display errors/issues to be resolved? By the way, are you using a 13" or 15" MBP? Just trying to figure out how much smaller the resolution will be from native....thanks again

Message 17 of 25
judith

I am on a 15" Macbookpro. We played with the resolution and text size until I had a balance that worked best for me. Tools, text etc are just large enough for me to read so I would have a larger work area. I've worked since without a glitch.

Message 18 of 25
brunospadaro

Changed video to scaled..... Works great now

Message 19 of 25
Devin04

Im having the exact same problem with the retina and windows 8

Message 20 of 25

How you can Solved it?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report