Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2013 windows 8

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
zach_cinco
7199 Views, 10 Replies

Revit 2013 windows 8

I have been having an issue with my revit 2013 program where when I create complex contours for a site plan the entire revit program will close itself once I click 'the big green tick'. Is there a way of fixing this? I have downloaded the revit 2013 extensions with no prevail.
I am running a windows 8 laptop with a decent graphics card and ram so I think it comes down to the program not the computer performance.
In addition upon opening the revit 2013 program an icon comes up saying 'Default Family Template File Invalid' 

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
DarrenP
in reply to: zach_cinco

search for windows 8 on here and you will see other problems with it

its not a compatible OS for revit: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=14026408&linkID=9243099

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
M-Town_Drafter
in reply to: DarrenP

Interesting that they also dropped Vista as a supported operating system for Revit 2013.

Message 4 of 11
loboarch

If you install the update release for Revit 2013 the problem should be resolved.  it is realted to the fact Windows 8 needs .NET 4.5 to run and the ribbon implementation in Revit 2013 is incompatible with .NET 4.5.  The update release for Revit 2013 will resolve the issue.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 5 of 11
Jason_S
in reply to: DarrenP

@DarrenP wrote:

search for windows 8 on here and you will see other problems with it

its not a compatible OS for revit: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=14026408&linkID=9243099

It works fine.  Not sure about the supported part but Update 2 and Revit 2013 run perfectly on Windows 8. Update 2 is the key to having installed to get the full performance out or Revit 2013.

Message 6 of 11
dorothjc
in reply to: loboarch

Is there such an update for Revit Structures 2012?  If so, where can I download it from.  If not, should I just install Revit 2013?  Would there be any compatibility issues with a Revit 2012 Revit Structures file if I made edits to it from Revit 2013? Thanks

Message 7 of 11
loboarch
in reply to: dorothjc

There is not currently an update for 2012 versions of Revit for this issue.  Updating to 2013 Update release 2 will solve the problem.  If updating to 2013 is an option that would be my suggestion.  if you can't update your Revit version you need to roll back .NET to a previous version.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 8 of 11
Eduardo2012

YES YES YES Revit´s update 2 makes it work in Windows 8!!!!!!

I bought this computer with W8 preinstalled and had the same ribbon problems. I had also another issue: the cursor pre-selection feature was not working at all.

Searching for the solution, every site talked about the .NET 4.5 thing and I just never got a clue on how to revert to .NET 4.0 without screwing up other Win8 software.

Only after reading this post I decided to give the Update 2 a go, and it just did the job allright!!!!

Oh, by the way. The cursor pre-selection fault was solved by a separate procedure, here's how:

Windows8-Control Panel-Software-Run software made for earlier Windows versions.

There you choose Revit's compatibility with your previous windows version. I did this one first, and later the Autodesk update.

I was even depressed thinking I needed to give the computer back due to "revit incompatibility"

Message 9 of 11
emmanuel
in reply to: loboarch

Thank you so much for posting this.  I really needed to install Revit 2012 on windows 8 since I had just reformatted my laptop and had a bunch of other programs installed...and I have client contracts that require files to be delivered in Revit 2012.  Anyways, I had tried installed 2013 and 2014 and they all failed.  I was ready to reformat the darn thing until I run into your post...it worked very well, I have Revit 2012 up and running, haven't run into any issues, hopefully it will stay that way.

Message 10 of 11
emmanuel
in reply to: emmanuel

BTW, the solution that worked for me was to enable .NET Framework 3.5 in windows 8

Message 11 of 11
cebohlongwane

please instruct me as to how i must install revit in windows 8 because i have been having difficulties with it for sometime ,i evn tried the update 2 as suggested.

Emmanuel Hlongwane

cebohlongwane@gmail.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report