Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2013 - Stair by component limitations - wrapping fire egress stair

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
ericsimon9117
4742 Views, 4 Replies

Revit 2013 - Stair by component limitations - wrapping fire egress stair

I been trying to model a standard wrapping metal pan fire egress stair tower over the past couple of days. The levels that the stair tower traverses are different for each floor. I was hoping that the new component stair tool in Revit 2013 would make it possible to correctly model this. It seems that this is still not possible.

I have put in a significant amount of time testing this and researching online.  I was hoping someone can confirm that the limitations listed below that prevent me from doing this are still present with the new tool, and if not, suggest how they can be overcome.

1. Connecting two stair instances so that the stringers clean up.  Despite the ability to have overlapping stair runs, it is not possible to model the stairs as a single instance, because the riser height is determined by the distance between the overall top and base level, and therefore it is not possible to make the landings occur at the intervening floor levels.  Thus the stairs between each floor must be modeled as individual instances, and the stringers will not clean up.  It also doesn't appear as though any of the controls for the individual stringers allow modifying them to the extent that the flat stringer on a landing can be made to cleanly meet the sloped stringer of a separate stair instance that abuts it.

2. Joining stairs/landings of the same material.  Even using the old stair-by-sketch method of using the first/last tread to create a landing, it still is not possible to join separate stair instances cleanly or stairs with floors.

3. Unchecking begins with/ends with riser still displays the edge of the tread as a riser in plan views, even when the tread connects with a landing component.

I am aware that I could model the stringers as in place or family components.  However, they will not be a part of the stair, or of the correct category, which is likely to cause scheduling/documentation issues downstream, as well as making it more tedious to update.

I am also aware that I can use masking regions/linework tool to cover over these inaccuracies on a view by view basis.  However,  this is also tedious, time consuming, and negates the coordination between views that is one of the main reasons for using the software.

Am I correct in my assesment of the above limitations?  I was hoping that the new tools would allow this pretty common task,  so I hope that I am missing something.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
alan.quinn
in reply to: ericsimon9117

See the below link for details on what changed for stairs in 2013.

In Stair by component, see Videos for 2013 Stairs and Railings

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Revit/enu/2013/Help/00001-Revit_He0/0001-What%E2%80%99s_N1/0002-New_in_...

Hope this helps and thanks for posting.

Message 3 of 5

Just another example of how out of touch Autodesk is with what we do in the real world, not only by the limitations placed on stairs (and everything else!) but also with the response. Showing a link to a promotional video done by someone who doesn't work in the real world either does not mean the problem is "solved". I love the video showing the stair modifications (adding a curved landing and changing landing heights) and how in it when she finishes the stairs they are OUTSIDE the building envelope as she quickly finishes the "tutorial" and the screen fades to black. I'm continually disappointed in an ever escalating fashion year after year in the lack luster Revit updates.

Message 4 of 5

I would like to confirm the same - it does not appear there is any way to vary the riser heights within a stair instance - even if risers in a run are equal.

For example:

Level 1 to landing = 19 risers@ 6.2"

landing to level 2 = 18 risers@ 6.5"

...and so on.

Message 5 of 5
linzmm57
in reply to: ericsimon9117

Did you ever resolve the issue you listed in #3?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report