Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2013 Material Category Bug

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
mertisler
3532 Views, 11 Replies

Revit 2013 Material Category Bug

Trying to migrate 2012 materials to Revit 2013 I found a bug about the behavior of material categories.

In the materials list all previous material classes show as categories and that's fine. But anytime you make a change to a material and if its class is not one of the listed types under descriptive information, it gets listed as generic next time you open the material browser.

Easiest way to replicate the problem is to actually import a material from one of the Autodesk Libraries.

Open your Material Browser and import "Bamboo" material listed under "Flooring" from the Autodesk's AEC Library.

You'll see it lists fine under your Document Materials with the correct category "Flooring". Next, OK to close the Material Browser and then reopen it by clicking Materials. You'll see Bamboo's category changed to "Generic".

To sum it up, if your material's category is not one of the hardcoded types under Descriptive Information it always reverts to "Generic".

If you have hundreds of materials nicely classified by your logical naming from previously releases, you could find yourself having to reassign them with one of the limited types provided by Revit 2013. 

Please confirm by going through the above process to make certain it's a bug that could be adressed in the upcoming update.

Thanks,

Mert Isler

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
dhayes
in reply to: mertisler

This bug is making a mess of our material library. Any update on this issue? Will a fix be issued?

Message 3 of 12

I am having same problem with document materials not accepting library category assignments when replacing materials for company material library.  It doesn't make sense and creating a problem.  Can someone please assist? 

Message 4 of 12
hworrell

I would also like to know of any updates. 

Message 5 of 12
spacefab
in reply to: hworrell

Any people from Autodesk that will enlighten us on this issue amongst the other unintuitive workflows of this messy material broser and assets editor.

Message 6 of 12
john.kinder

Autodesk?  Any response on this issue?  Any explination for why you ripped us off and decided once again not to TEST your software?  Who is in charge of QC over there?  Why aren't you doing your job?  Why shouldn't I call up our Autodesk vendor and ask for a refund.  Quit making everything more complicated than it needs to be.  That's why you cant work with Apple.  Get it together or I'm switching to Vectorworks.  Oh yeah, and fix the "Break at point" tool in AutoCAD.  It's only been 20 years.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 7 of 12
john.kinder

LOL, so you have time to QC my comments but not your products.  Get your priorities striaght.  By the way, if all of these bugs are a result of Microsofts shotty OS then just make a PUBLIC announcement about it.  Maybe it'll get their butts in gear.  From the user end you all appear to just be lazy software writers.  It's hard for me to rationalize the cost of a Revit license when it can't streamline workflow becuase we're all troubleshooting the whole time instead of working.  Any time saved using Revit is lost to working around YOUR bugs.  After 3 generations there are no more excuses children.  Once again, get it together.  Hold a meeting or something. Smiley Sad

Message 8 of 12

Your post was moderated because it was in violation of some ground rules.

Please note that this is primarily a peer to peer discussion community. Users helping other users although you will see employees and support in here it's not the place to complain directly to Autodesk. They like the other users are in here trying to help others.

Thanks
Discussion_Admin

Message 9 of 12

No one cares about your ground rules.  What is the cost of moderating forums verse fixing your software?  Oh wait, that's right, if you were to actually help address our issues then you would be out of a job becuase there would less of a need for forum moderation.  My bad.  No really, my bad on that one guys.  We just want a reasonable response.

Message 10 of 12

I do understand how your feeling but myself or your fellow users here in the community do not have access to fix the issues you are experiencing. Again this is not the venue for that. 

But as a subscription customer you do have a way to reach the product teams and be heard unfortunately it's just not here in these forums.

Thanks
Discussion_Admin

Message 11 of 12
john.kinder
in reply to: john.kinder

Cool. How do I get a hold of the "product teams"? Through the vendor?

Thank you,

John

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 12 of 12

Thats a good place to start

Thanks
Discussion_Admin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report