Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2013 Fillet or Chamfer the edges in 3D

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
peterweaver
12946 Views, 10 Replies

Revit 2013 Fillet or Chamfer the edges in 3D

Hi All,

Could you please advise me, how can I use the Fillet or Chamfer in Revit 2013 for 3D objects?

I am after the similar method, which has been used in Autocad 3D or Inventor-click at the edge and edit etc.

Many Thanks,

Pete 

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

We can use voids to carve off material from a solid and join a solid with another to create the infill of a fillet. A sweep will permit creating something based on its section profile. There are numerous ways you can get where you want to go. Very subtle detail or free form things can be quite challenging.

An image of something you are trying to make would help get a sense of what you need to do.

recent tweet mentioned a way that we can use Dynamo with Revit to do this, might be worth having a look.

As a matter of some background. Yes this aspect of modeling in Revit isn't as easy as it is in Inventor or AutoCAD. It would be very nice. In the overall context of a building we don't often need to do it. It's also partly because often these fillets are tiny in comparison to the overal project that Revit is being used to document. More macro than micro. Making Revit families for objects that are inside a building like furniture and plumbing fixtures certainly challenges that presumption. Roughly the logic is those items are not quite as important (read: we are not responsible for their fabrication and design, we are buying them from a catalog) as the other aspects of the building model.

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 3 of 11

Hey Steve - I'm glad you mentioned not just using a Void. For a lot of furniture I do, I find adding an arc-based sweep with an extrusion infill to be much easy. 

BTW - do you have a recommend on a Dynamo tutorial?

David William Edwards
Dave Edwards Consulting
Message 4 of 11

There are videos at the DynamoBIM.org site, check them out. Also look for AU (Autodesk University) sessions on Dynamo in their course summary. Marcello Sgambelluri has a blog called Simply Complex that he is merging Revit and Dynamo info on.
My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 5 of 11

Hi Steve,

Many thanks for your prompt response and explaination.

I will take a look at it.

Kind Regards

Pete

Message 6 of 11

OMG! Why does everything needs to be so time consuming in Revit?

in AUTOCAD: you type in FILLETEDGE and type the radius> select all edges> enter =>>> And there u go your object is fillet

in Rhino: you go into the camera view and select the mode fillet all edges> type radius> enter=>>> ALL objects are fillet 

This operation is crucial to apply if you want to obtain a realistic rendering. Why does Revit give the user so much headache in opening the family, creating reference lines, reference planes, drawing the curve, creating the void, cut the object and repeat the same process for every single edge??

Please enlighten me: WHY????

Message 7 of 11

OMG! Why does everything need to be so time-consuming in Revit?

in AUTOCAD: you type in FILLETEDGE and type the radius> select all edges> enter =>>> And there u go your object is fillet

in Rhino: you go into the camera view and select the mode fillet all edges> type radius> enter=>>> ALL objects are fillet 

This operation is crucial to apply if you want to obtain a realistic rendering. Why does Revit give the user so much headache in opening the family, creating reference lines, reference planes, drawing the curve, creating the void, cut the object and repeat the same process for every single edge??

Message 8 of 11
lvautodesk
in reply to: SteveKStafford

Thanks for the tip but please enlighten me: why does Revit do that? For a simple operation - achievable in other software of the same profile with a single command line- you need to install, learn how to use and buy a whole add-in?

Message 9 of 11

Often with a lot of things "Revity", if there's a why to get there (even a hard way) there's no development focus toward them. Revit simply lacks a ton of standard modeling tools, especially in the Family Editor. But from some of the clues we've seen in Dynamo, this may be changing soon (or not). 

David William Edwards
Dave Edwards Consulting
Message 10 of 11
ToanDN
in reply to: lvautodesk

@lvautodesk wrote:

OMG! Why does everything need to be so time-consuming in Revit?

There are different tools for different jobs.  Tools for planning a city are different than tools for designing a building in the city, which in turn, are different than tools for creating a piece of a moulding in the building.

Message 11 of 11

Indeed - after years of trying to offer Revit specific components, I've found that most users are dividing the process using different applications (as they should) to their best advantage. Revit into Max or Lumion with the furniture, growies et al being added there.

David William Edwards
Dave Edwards Consulting

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report