Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2013 crashes when attemting to opne existing project

29 REPLIES 29
SOLVED
Message 1 of 30
HVAC-Novice
6269 Views, 29 Replies

Revit 2013 crashes when attemting to opne existing project

I have the full Revit (inc. MEP, structural and arch) and since there isn't a "Revit" section, I thought posting here.

Everything works fine, I can open the previously opened projects or the sample projects (the ones that show up on the screen). I also can open up families. BUT when I try to open a project by either clcikcing "OPEN" (see attached screenshot) or via the file menu, Revit crashes (not responding...) when it is supposed to bring up the folders to search for files.

The only way to workaround is to go to the "R" and "open" "any Revit file". I googled for it and didn't see anyone else having the problem.

I assume it is an IT problem here because: my old PC (only had 4 GB) had the same problem and I thought it was because of lack of memory. and at home on my PC I installed Revit to try this problem, it works. (and no, our IT is not helpful with things like that). but now I have a 24 GB PC with 3.6 GHz quadcore... so power shouldn't be the problem. but i have the standalone license and the project being on the network isn't the problem since it crashes already before picking a project, and with my workaround it works. 

Any idea what could cause this and how to resolve? Apparently i can open my projects with the workaround, or once they show up in the selection of previous projects. Really where it hangs is whne it supposedly opens the folder structure to pick a project. i can open families without problem. (it is not one of those file format problems with 203/2012 files etc.)

Thanks

Revit version: R2024.2
29 REPLIES 29
Message 21 of 30
Alaaeldin_Alsahli
in reply to: office

Which mean  Windows file dialogs has been modified

so it is rather you upgrade IE to reset this modification or find that third party that is causing the issue

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘
Message 22 of 30

I installed IE 11, still the same problem. (I was able to use my employers software in IE11 compatibility mode... so I can keep IE 11)

the only odd thing I see is that the Flexnet services are stopped (this seems Adesk licensing)

It seems my next step woudl be re-installing Revit, unless there is something less radical to try. .

Message 23 of 30

I just deleted and recreated my Windows user profile. Still the same problem.

Anything else I could try? Or soem other way to analyze what is wrong with my PC?

Since I had huge trouble isntalling Revit on this new PC to begin with, I really don't want to re-install unless that is absolutely the last option.

This is a really great software, but the way it seems to interact (or doesn't interact) with Windows really is not good. Every other Windows software just installs, and works without major problems.

Message 24 of 30

did you try this

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/...

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘
Message 25 of 30

yes, multiple times. Did not help.

I can open files out of autoCAD. So the problem seems with Revit itself.

Message 26 of 30

IF you press open then Hit Escape, Does revit keep hanging or you could re-select other features?

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Message 27 of 30

hitting " Esc"  only makes the Revit window all gray (s. attached).

I even did a Revit repair / install. Still same problem.

Message 28 of 30

Make sure that the Server Service is started

server.png

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Message 29 of 30

this really resovled the problem. Alaaeldin was very helpful.

I noticed that "Server" service will turn off every once a while (probably after reboot). So the problem may re-occurr and yo have to enable it again. Maybe this is just a problem with our IT department, but I wanted to throw that out.

Message 30 of 30

I am not an IT person but here is some link talks about it, it sound like a security issue

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/259733

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16093244/windows-service-not-auto-starting-on-reboot

http://superuser.com/questions/326522/service-fails-to-start-after-restart

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-explorer-exe-does-not-start

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report