Revit Architecture

Revit Architecture

Contributor
office
Message 11 of 30 (548 Views)

Re: Revit 2013 crashes when attemting to opne existing project

03-13-2013 09:43 PM in reply to: s-dan.barnts
Thanks to all for the input and suggestions. I ended up uninstalling and re-installing. It works fine for now. We'll see if it continues good as the days go by. Sent from my iPhone
SteveAPMA
Message 12 of 30 (480 Views)

05-16-2013 11:49 AM in reply to: office

I have a user with the same problem as the original post.  I have confirmed that it only affects this user/logon account.  If I try another user on his computer there is no problem.  If he logs into another computer the problem follows him (we have roaming profiles).  I have tried all the suggestions but nothing has helped.  In this case clicking any of the Open links - project, family, file, from the home page or the R menu - causes the issue.

Does anyone know of a way to reset the AutoDesk/Revit portion of a user's account?

FWIW - after clicking Open and the program stops responding to mouse clicks I can press Alt-C and the program will start responding again.

shhbr
Message 13 of 30 (290 Views)

01-29-2014 12:45 PM in reply to: kschindel

This is happening to me too now, but i believe that my windows 8.1 update is the problem possibly? after i updated it, it deleted my serial number and i have been having issues with it ever since. It just opens, and then closes 5 seconds later. I have found sucess opening my projects with revit view, which somehow opens up the normal revit and from there i can then work on my projects. PLEASE HELP ME, college student who needs to get his work done

Distinguished Contributor
kschindel
Message 14 of 30 (211 Views)

04-30-2014 10:43 AM in reply to: shhbr

I still have the same issue from whne i posted originally. I now have a new PC (32 GB, dual qad CPU) and REvit 2014 with all service packs.

the only way I can open a REvit file is whne i use the Windows eplorer and click on the file.

This is great so far. But now I started to use cntral/local files and the only way to open a cnetral file (to creat elocal file) is supposed to be through the "open""  function in Revit. which is what doesn't work.

So now I'm back trying to resolve my problem, or finding a different way to get the local file from a central file.

Ideally I find out how to open file out of Revit without crashing. But I also take a solution to create a local file in a different way.

Product Support
Alaaeldin_Alsahli
Message 15 of 30 (189 Views)

05-01-2014 04:59 AM in reply to: kschindel

The Feature (Open), uses Internet/Windows explorer to open up the file. So there is something related to this.

Sometime Third party software modifies the Windows file dialogs and this prevents Revit from interacting with these dialogs as expected

As a first step you could do is

Make sure your Internet Explorer (IE) is up to date, and make sure you set your IE as a default Web Broswer.

IE.png

If by updating IE didn't reset or fix Windows file dialogs, you need to Invistigate which Third party is causing in it.

Please fallow these steps on this link to figure which Third party you need to disable to fix the issue

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/...

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘
Product Support
Alaaeldin_Alsahli
Message 16 of 30 (179 Views)

05-01-2014 07:06 AM in reply to: kschindel

An alternative way to create an local file is copy the central file in your local computer rename it and open it, it will become local that could be synch with the main central file.

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘
kschindel
Message 17 of 30 (174 Views)

05-01-2014 07:56 AM in reply to: Alaaeldin_Alsahli

thanks for the repsonse. i went through the steps to no avail.

I also checked if any of the "PC backup" etc. services are isntalled (none were).

The only thing I couldn't do was using IE 11. Our company has some services that don't run on IE 11 (my time sheet for example) and they don't support IE 11. So I'm stuck with IE 9. But my colleague next cubiclehas IE 9 as well and doesn't have my problem. IE 9 is up to date (if you can call a 2 generations old browser up to date).

I think the only thing I can do is manually opening the central file and manually save as local file as you suggest. The problem is, when I open the central file, it crashes when I use "save as". This only happens with the central file. When I open a "normal file" (without work sharing) I can use "save as" with no problem.

I'll try a repair install. I'm shy to re-install Revit because when I got my new PC it wouldn't install propelry first and IT had to try out all kinds of things for over a day.

Product Support
Alaaeldin_Alsahli
Message 18 of 30 (166 Views)

05-01-2014 08:07 AM in reply to: kschindel

Ask the IT guys to try this

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/...

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Product Support
Alaaeldin_Alsahli
Message 19 of 30 (161 Views)

05-01-2014 08:09 AM in reply to: kschindel

you could always Reset your Revit from you current user via REGEDIT

https://chronicle.autodesk.com/Main/Details/6069434e-3ed2-4a10-b182-a3d16eeb6292

Try to logoff and ask another user to login to your computer and see if Open works 

Alaaeldin Alsahli

kschindel
Message 20 of 30 (145 Views)

05-01-2014 08:33 AM in reply to: Alaaeldin_Alsahli

For my co-worder (who logged in as himself) that did not work. Still crashes when "open file" from within Revit.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.