Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

revit 2012 two central files. Same project. Different file names

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
xak-man
2328 Views, 6 Replies

revit 2012 two central files. Same project. Different file names

I'm working on a revit job, everything is going just fine until the architect decides to send me a new local file so I guess to make it fun for everyone the architect decided to change the file name of the new central file. I tried renaming the new central file, overwriting the old central file, I don't want to have to start all over plz someone have an answer to this......

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: xak-man

Try this:

Use the "new local copy" sent by the Architect.

Open it and then Save-as, and make sure Worksets are enabled.

Click Make Central File, save it onto your server/LAN.

Then close it. Then re-open and check "create new local file".

You are basically taking the Architect's new local and making it a new Central; then creating your own new local from it.

Unless I misunderstood something in your post, this should work.

cheers

Message 3 of 7
xak-man
in reply to: Anonymous

I understand and that is normal my procedure, although I'm a week or so into this project. I received a new file from the architect, I could be wrong but I call these central files, anyway the new is "000_central.rvt" the old central that I originally made my local (the one that has all my work in) from is "05052011 central.rvt" I believe that the renaming of the central has caused me to loose all the work I have done so far because, I will have to make a new local file from the "000_central.rvt". How do I get my original local to update the new central that has a different file name?

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

I see. The problem is that you are both working independently, but should be working together.

You can't use Revit like you would other software such as Cad where you just add more "files" to your Project.

Revit is intended to work with multiple users checking out portions of the model via worksets and the saving the local edits back to Central over a LAN in the same office/domain or ( in your case, a WAN ) to a remote office.

Since you have both been working on the same project, but you now have 2 files--one way to do it is to copy/paste

your work from your "old copy" into the "new copy"--you must have both files open in a single session of Revit.

Another way might be to create a Group of all things which you know are "your latest edits" and then Link it out as a new Revit project, containing only your latest objects/changes. Then Link this into the "new Central" from the Architect and then Bind it in--creating a single file.

Warning--this is not a recommended workflow and you will end up losing work and getting frustrated. You need to find a way to use worksets and (if the Arch. is in another location ) set up Revit Server across a WAN via VPN and save your changes to a SINGLE Central file.

good luck.

cheers

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

Are you also an architect? If not then the Architect's file should be linked in to your model. In our projects we are the Mechanical and when the architect sends us their revit we open it and detach from central and save as a project in a "Links" folder. Then we open our Central file one that is called Mechanical and link in the Arch to that. so our central file is Mechanical with a link to the Architectural. We dont want to change anything that the Arch has done. Everyone in our office then makes a local of our Mechanical central file and work from there. we then synchronize with central every so often.

Message 7 of 7
parveen.revit

In any case you can't start working on a file (local or central) sent by other consultants.

You must have to create your own new file and should always link others' files into your model.

otherwise you'll face the same problem on regular basis.

Parveen_Intec_Infocom (BIM, CAD, GIS, QS Services' Provider)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report