Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revision Numbers - Double Digits

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
carter7343
2984 Views, 9 Replies

Revision Numbers - Double Digits

I'm using RVT 14 and I believe there is no way to create a double digit revision number for single digits (i.e. 1-9 to 01-09). Unfortunately in NYC, double digits are a requirement. Is there a way to create a double digit revision number that is still a "smart" number? I don't want to leave it up to the user to place a number every time there is a revision and thus creating more room for error. Also note that we do revisions per sheet and not by project; so, any workaround would have to follow that parameter. 

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: carter7343

You should assign revision numbers' parameters to "issued by" or "issued to" instead of revision numbers and you can do anything to revision numbers.

Message 3 of 10
carter7343
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks for the reply. Isn't this only applicable to 'per project' and removes the 'smart' aspect leaving room for error. The problem is that we do not issue every sheet per revision. Only revised sheets are resubmitted. This allows every sheet to follow a sequential order (01, 02, 03...) per revision rather than 01,03,05... per sheet. 

Message 4 of 10
carter7343

I figured out a "workaround". I added two fields overlapping each other. The first is plain text with "00" and the second is the label 'Current Revision' with the sample text as 01 for reference. Both the text and label are set to opaque. The text is aligned left and the label aligned right. This allows for the current revision number to always be to the right of the '0' text. The label supercedes the text field so once you hit double digits in your revisions, i.e. 10, the label overlaps the text field and hides it due to the label being set to opaque. Now all revisions that are less than 10 will show a 0 in front with the revisions still being 'smart' and negates human error. This also allows for '00' to be set as the default which means no revisions as of yet because the text is "00". Because there are no revisions to the sheet, the current revision label is off by default. 

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

I spent a couple of hours struggling with this.  It is easy to add a "0" prefix to the numeric revision numbering but when we got to revision 10 Revit started to show the revisions as "010", "011", etc. and the document controllers started rejecting our drawings.  The solution is just to use alphanumeric revision numbering - delete the "A,B,C,D,E,F,...." and insert "00,01, 02,03,04,.........09,10,11,12,....".  I've gone all the way up to 30.  If we ever get past that revision I can always add a few more.

Message 6 of 10
DanielKalani
in reply to: Anonymous

i was struggling with this issue as well, i just found a supper easy approach to solve this issue:

in the "revisions" window (under Numbering Options) click on "Numeric..." in the newly opened window click inside "Prefix" chamber and Press Space on your keyboard! In this way you are adding one character to your revision numbers.

Hope this helped.

Message 7 of 10
lucdoucet_msdl

@

@carter7343 wrote:

I figured out a "workaround". I added two fields overlapping each other. The first is plain text with "00" and the second is the label 'Current Revision' with the sample text as 01 for reference. Both the text and label are set to opaque. The text is aligned left and the label aligned right. This allows for the current revision number to always be to the right of the '0' text. The label supercedes the text field so once you hit double digits in your revisions, i.e. 10, the label overlaps the text field and hides it due to the label being set to opaque. Now all revisions that are less than 10 will show a 0 in front with the revisions still being 'smart' and negates human error. This also allows for '00' to be set as the default which means no revisions as of yet because the text is "00". Because there are no revisions to the sheet, the current revision label is off by default. 

Could you describe in better detail how you were able to achieve the overlapping text and label to opaque and how the plain text "00" fills the revision schedule for numbers 1 thru 9?

Thanks,

-luc

Message 8 of 10
augustom5BMK6

Using Revit 2022
Go to View and select Revision
In the Numbering column, click and select Numeric from the list and click Customize Numbering.
Duplicate Numeric and rename to Number1to9 by clicking then Pencil icon.
In the Settings..
 - Minimum number of digits = 1
- Starting Number = 1
- Prefix = 0
...then hit Okay

Select this Numbering method for revisions 1 to 9 only and use the default Numeric for 10 and above 

Hope this helps

Message 9 of 10

Using Revit 2022
Go to View and select Revision
In the Numbering column, click and select Numeric from the list and click Customize Numbering.
Duplicate Numeric and rename to Number1to9 by clicking then Pencil icon.
In the Settings..
- Minimum number of digits = 1
- Starting Number = 1
- Prefix = 0
...then hit Okay

Select this Numbering method for revisions 1 to 9 only and use the default Numeric for 10 and above

Hope this helps
Message 10 of 10

From the OP:

"I'm using RVT 14 and I believe there is no way to create a double digit revision number for single digits (i.e. 1-9 to 01-09)."

-luc

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report