Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resize Text / Dimension with Change in Scale

27 REPLIES 27
Message 1 of 28
chiragdedhia
35069 Views, 27 Replies

Resize Text / Dimension with Change in Scale

Is there a possibility where the text or dimensions would resize automatically when the scale of a view is changed? Like some scale factor applied, n the text/ dimensions could change whenever the scale of view is changed?
27 REPLIES 27
Message 2 of 28
Anonymous
in reply to: chiragdedhia

It does change over here!?

wrote in message news:4953044@discussion.autodesk.com...
Is there a possibility where the text or dimensions would resize
automatically when the scale of a view is changed? Like some scale factor
applied, n the text/ dimensions could change whenever the scale of view is
changed?
Message 3 of 28
sbrown

No, you would need to create a second dimstyle since revit text/annotations allways print the size specified, ie 1/8" text will allways be 1/8" regardless of scale(a beautiful thing isn't it). So you can easily make another size text, right click on a text note, select all and change it to the other size.
Message 4 of 28
Anonymous

That is the only way Revit text and dimensions work. Imported AutoCAD
information, however is just "dumb", and does not change scale
automatically.

wrote in message news:4953044@discussion.autodesk.com...
Is there a possibility where the text or dimensions would resize
automatically when the scale of a view is changed? Like some scale factor
applied, n the text/ dimensions could change whenever the scale of view is
changed?
Message 5 of 28
chiragdedhia

hmm, initially whenever i changed the scale of view, i used to be under the impression that dim/text scales with it. But later noticed that it actually doesn't scale up/down.

sdbrown, the way u mentioned is the only quickest way available now. But thats not always possible coz the drawing generally has alot more text in the same size which may not need to be re-scaled.
The issue becomes grave when there r too many tags, and they go haywire with the change in scale of the view. And thts where u need to go into editing the tag family etc! And it becomes a pain, changing all over again, each time!

Anyways, i think its more of a wish item. If the scale of the text/dimensions also moves up / down in a percentage ratio which is in a way linked to the change in scale of the view, that would be jus excellent!

When u change 1:100 dwg to 1:50, u r scaling it up 2times. The dim/text shud scale twice as well !! Hope to see it in newer versions!
Message 6 of 28
Anonymous

What you are asking for are text, dimensions, tags, etc., that actually
change 'plotted' size? Right now, these items do 'change' depending on the
scale of the view, but they change to remain the same size across all views.
So if a detail bubble is a 1/2" circle, it will always be a 1/2" circle no
matter the scale of the view.

Fundamentally what you are asking for goes against the underlying concepts
of views in Revit.

wrote in message news:4954200@discussion.autodesk.com...
hmm, initially whenever i changed the scale of view, i used to be under the
impression that dim/text scales with it. But later noticed that it actually
doesn't scale up/down.

sdbrown, the way u mentioned is the only quickest way available now. But
thats not always possible coz the drawing generally has alot more text in
the same size which may not need to be re-scaled.
The issue becomes grave when there r too many tags, and they go haywire with
the change in scale of the view. And thts where u need to go into editing
the tag family etc! And it becomes a pain, changing all over again, each
time!

Anyways, i think its more of a wish item. If the scale of the
text/dimensions also moves up / down in a percentage ratio which is in a way
linked to the change in scale of the view, that would be jus excellent!

When u change 1:100 dwg to 1:50, u r scaling it up 2times. The dim/text shud
scale twice as well !! Hope to see it in newer versions!
Message 7 of 28
chiragdedhia

Scott i get ur point! What i mean to say is something similar to what we have with Line Weights. For Line Weights, by jus changing the View Scale, we r automatically assigned a line weight And all this controlled by Settings>>Line Weights.

When i change the view of a plan, from say 1:100 to 1:50 or vice-versa, obviously i cant keep the tags, text or dimensions in the same style, as they were for the previous scale. I need to manually change them. It might be an underlying Concept. But while changing view-scales, it doesn't really help!
Message 8 of 28
Anonymous

Annotations change here with the view scale as per attached images. However,
if you need to show the same area (view) in different scales, you need to
duplicate those views. Annotations are view dependent and will not interfere
with each other.

wrote in message news:4956283@discussion.autodesk.com...
Scott i get ur point! What i mean to say is something similar to what we
have with Line Weights. For Line Weights, by jus changing the View Scale, we
r automatically assigned a line weight And all this controlled by
Settings>>Line Weights.

When i change the view of a plan, from say 1:100 to 1:50 or vice-versa,
obviously i cant keep the tags, text or dimensions in the same style, as
they were for the previous scale. I need to manually change them. It might
be an underlying Concept. But while changing view-scales, it doesn't really
help!
Message 9 of 28
Anonymous

Not sure what you mean by "When i change the view of a plan, from say 1:100 to 1:50 or vice-versa, obviously i cant keep the tags,
text or dimensions in the same style, as they were for the previous scale". The intention in Revit is that you DO keep them in the
same style. It is expected that there is a particular size of text that you want to appear on the plotted drawing, based on what is
readable, and that dimensions, text, etc., should be that size when plotted regardless of the scale of the view. Revit assures that
all annotations plot at the same size on the sheet regardless of the scale of the drawing. Isn't that what one would want to happen?

wrote in message news:4956283@discussion.autodesk.com...
Scott i get ur point! What i mean to say is something similar to what we have with Line Weights. For Line Weights, by jus changing
the View Scale, we r automatically assigned a line weight And all this controlled by Settings>>Line Weights.

When i change the view of a plan, from say 1:100 to 1:50 or vice-versa, obviously i cant keep the tags, text or dimensions in the
same style, as they were for the previous scale. I need to manually change them. It might be an underlying Concept. But while
changing view-scales, it doesn't really help!
Message 10 of 28
chiragdedhia

Let me try explaining one more time! Are u aware of the fact that Line Weights for each of 1 to 16(x), are scale specific!! To know more, Goto Settings Menu >> Line Weights. The entire dialog box shows how that line weight will be plotted in each view scale.

Now, if in the same manner, we could have a dialog box, representing that text of say "x" would be 5mm in 1:100 whereas 3mm in 1:200 and 7mm in 1:50.... Then we wouldn't need to go and change the text height after changing the scale of the view we are working in. That interface will take care of it, like the lineweights!!

Its not there in REVIT yet, but it would really save alot of manual effort of changing text/dim styles! This was the last attempt to explain!! 🙂
Message 11 of 28
sbrown

I understand what you are asking for, however I think in Revit you are better off creating multiple views for plans that are that different in scales and annotating what is needed in each view, As you indicated when a plan with lots of annotations goes to a smaller scale, the room tags don't fit, so you need to adjust them, If you just want them to print small, then use the print settings to do that, keep your view scale, but print 50%.
Message 12 of 28
Anonymous

I still don't fully understand what you are trying to do. Could you please
post a sketch or drawing?

wrote in message news:4957167@discussion.autodesk.com...
I understand what you are asking for, however I think in Revit you are
better off creating multiple views for plans that are that different in
scales and annotating what is needed in each view, As you indicated when a
plan with lots of annotations goes to a smaller scale, the room tags don't
fit, so you need to adjust them, If you just want them to print small, then
use the print settings to do that, keep your view scale, but print 50%.
Message 13 of 28
chiragdedhia

sdbrown, Could u please explain the last line in ur post?? Like a step by step thing? I hope u meant that i can priint the sheet to 1: 200 and still get the annotations to look like as if they were at 1:100 when i make it 50% or something?? Little bit more elaboration, please!

Scott, 🙂 assuming, that i've made an entire project thinking that it will be printed at 1:100, put all annotations/text/dim according with their respective linestyles. Later the decision is made that that view will print at 1:200. So i change the view scale, coolly, but all my annotations/text/dim mess around with the dwg!! Like the way line-weights are taken care of, when i change the scale, cant we have something which wud take care of annotations/text/dim. Read my earlier post, to see how, if Revit provides us with a Dialog box such as LineWeights, for Text, we could probably achieve this!!
Message 14 of 28
sbrown

I'm not following anymore, is this a dwg issue, do you have text in a dwg. I can't imagine if you final output is now 1:200 you would want your text a diff. size. We want our text to allways print out at 3/32" high regardless of scale. This is what revit does for us, this is great. If revit rescaled the text down 50% then it would be 3/64 which would be almost unreadable.

When I mentioned printing 50% that is you leave your plan at 1:100, then in the print dialog box, settings, there is a scale factor there you can change to 50%, giving you a halfsize of your view, I don't think this is what you want though, because your sheet will shrink too.
Message 15 of 28

As a former user of another CADD platform, I enjoyed the checkbox that allowed you to "adjust dimensions and text with scale" or some similar wordage.

This allowed you to print images at different scales without having to change all of your annotations, whatever they may be.

Wish list item.

Thanks.

Message 16 of 28
ToanDN
in reply to: 5114195374

Do you mean when you change the View scale, say, from 1:50 to 1:200, the software somehow is able to fit all the text in a much smaller area, while maintaining the same text size?
Message 17 of 28
in reply to: ToanDN

AutoDesk;

For me, scaling text means changing its size. Was wondering why REVIT doesn't have the option (like a checkbox) to scale font size when changing drawing scale...for annotations, dimensions, tags, etc. It'd be best if tags, section markers, elevation markers, etc. changed with scale change as well.

Would love to see that sooon if there's no workaround available now.

Message 18 of 28
ToanDN

That does not make any sense. If that is the case then you would have ton of text and symbols at different sizes on your Sheets. For example, your 1:1000 site plans would have tiny text and symbol, where as your 1:10 details would have huge text and symbol. It is like 1990 AutoCAD all over again.
Message 19 of 28
mpwuzhere

Revit text and dimensions are based off of the Sheet size of 1:1. 

So when you scale a view to a different size, the existing text and dimensions are going to remain the sheet size.  So if you want a smaller text, then you need to create a smaller text style.  But will it be readable when you place it on a sheet?

If this is applying to 1/2 size sheets...print at 50% from a full size sheet, don't create 1/2size sheet views like you did in Autocad.

Message 20 of 28
in reply to: mpwuzhere

I know what you're talking about, I guess I need to rephrase my question to a REVIT user's form of thinking from that of the software I used to use. I'll get back to you on it when I have a little time to go back and better explain. Thanks for your time and consideration.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report