Revit Cloud Worksharing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Cloud Worksharing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Cloud Worksharing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Request for Feedback] Using Communicator for Revit during SWC

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
KyleB_Autodesk
2535 Views, 13 Replies

[Request for Feedback] Using Communicator for Revit during SWC

One of the common pieces of feedback about our new Communicator for Revit tool is that teams want to use it while Revit is hard at work (technically the UI thread is locked).  Our team is working on a solution to that, and put together a video of a prototype that solves the problem; check it out.

What do you all think?  Any big things that are missing that should be considered?  You have the eyes of the product team on this thread.  Please try and keep things on topic.

-Kyle (and the Communicator team)

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Yep, definitely want this functionality.  Having separate communicator that project managers can jump in on without being in the model would also be a big help.  A more robust timeline that has an archive that is searchable would really help.  This could live with the proejct and become part of the internal record for the project.

http://www.cadence-studio.com
Message 3 of 14

@angelomarasco wrote:

A more robust timeline that has an archive that is searchable would really help.  This could live with the proejct and become part of the internal record for the project.

Can you elaborate on the scenarios where you'd like to see a searchable timeline?  What are you trying to find and why?

-Kyle

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 14

maybe this is offtopic, but you should integrate task management functions like in Asana

www.EnjoyBIM.de | Revit, Dynamo, BIM and more | High quality training and Consulting in Stuttgart

-----------------------------
Ihr fandet einen Beitrag hilfreich? Dann vergebt dafür doch Kudos!
Eure Frage wurde erfolgreich gelöst? Dann einfach auf den 'Als Lösung akzeptieren'-Button klicken!
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: KyleB_Autodesk

Kyle,

I would hope there would be some kind of file archiving function to save a chain of communication once a project is complete.  Some form of word doc or text file that is easily accessible for future need.  If there was a problem, we would need this "paper trail".

I'm really excited to be able to use this.

Thanks,

Message 6 of 14
casquatch
in reply to: KyleB_Autodesk

How would this work with linked models? Does it only show you who is working within your active model? Or would you have the ability to see others within a linked model?

We typically have multiple models linked together per discipline, but they are all working within the same network/environment. It would be great to have a way communicate with this tool between disciplines.

Message 7 of 14
KyleB_Autodesk
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Kyle,

I would hope there would be some kind of file archiving function to save a chain of communication once a project is complete.  Some form of word doc or text file that is easily accessible for future need.  If there was a problem, we would need this "paper trail".

I'm really excited to be able to use this.

Thanks,

There is a basic archive function available today, and chat histories are not deleted over time.  We intend to build a more comprehensive archive feature tied back to A360, but that's a little ways out at the moment.

-Kyle

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 14
KyleB_Autodesk
in reply to: casquatch

@casquatch wrote:

How would this work with linked models? Does it only show you who is working within your active model? Or would you have the ability to see others within a linked model?

We typically have multiple models linked together per discipline, but they are all working within the same network/environment. It would be great to have a way communicate with this tool between disciplines.

It shows both team members in your active model, as well as those within your active A360 Project.  Linked models will be in the active project, so you can easily chat with those folks.

-Kyle

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 14

Kyle (and the Communicator team),

This looks great; heard about this at the RTCEUR in Dublin last October by Anthony Hauck but it then went very quiet after that (until now). Is there any beta available? Would love to test this out as we adopt a similar way of working in my workplace however we use Lync to communicate; would be dying to give this a try!

Regards,
Lewis
Message 10 of 14

Kyle & Team,

Couple of questions my end now after some thought:

• Agree with casquatch, how does this work with linked models if it's not in A360?
  • Any in depth functionality on ownership of elements and whether you can see what elements members own within communicator (so is the communicator talking through Revit or separately)?
  • Is this only available on A360? Or will it be available with the standard Revit release?
Regards,
Lewis
Message 11 of 14

@lacullinane wrote:

Kyle & Team,

Couple of questions my end now after some thought:

• Agree with casquatch, how does this work with linked models if it's not in A360?
  • Any in depth functionality on ownership of elements and whether you can see what elements members own within communicator (so is the communicator talking through Revit or separately)?
  • Is this only available on A360? Or will it be available with the standard Revit release?

Communicator is currently designed to work primarily with cloud workshared models on Collaboration for Revit (C4R).  That service does not allow local RVT links, so it's a non-issue in that workflow.  We definitely want to bring this system into all Revit worksharing scenarios, but are purposely iterating with the relatively small pool of C4R users before we go broad with all users.

As of right now, we do not take over element ownership information from core Revit, so existing functionality still applies.  This is in our backlog after we get Communicator working properly in all worksharing scenarios.

If you want to try it out, you don't need to subscribe to C4R, you just need to be a Member or Project Contributor in an A360 Team Project.  Installing the latest Revit UR + C4R addon will get your installation ready to run it.

-Kyle

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 12 of 14
eric_bernier
in reply to: lacullinane

I was presenting in Dublin too at RTCEUR and was in the room when Anthony Hauck presented it...  Is there an active version we could try?

Message 13 of 14

@ebernier76 wrote:

I was presenting in Dublin too at RTCEUR and was in the room when Anthony Hauck presented it...  Is there an active version we could try?

From my last post -> "If you want to try it out, you don't need to subscribe to C4R, you just need to be a Member or Project Contributor in an A360 Team Project.  Installing the latest Revit UR + C4R addon will get your installation ready to run it."

-Kyle

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 14 of 14

Awesome!!!

I agree with others on a search feature as well as ability to archive would be really helpful.  Also having the activity in Communicator also show up in A360 team would be helpful.

Aaron Wagner | Technology Consultant – Autodesk Construction Business Line Lead

U.S. CAD | Achieve More
Rocky Mountain Region, Denver, CO
T: 877-648-7223 x301

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report