Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renovation Window Replacement

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
archlatham
3520 Views, 7 Replies

Renovation Window Replacement

I am working on a renovation project where I am replacing windows.  I have read thru the other posts on the issue but have not found anything regarding a similar problem.  Working in Revit 2013, I created custom windows, one matching the existing and one with the new configuration I wanted to fit in the existing openings.  In the project, I created the existing walls and windows in an Existing Phase, copied the view and made a demo view and a new view with New Construction Phase. I demoed the windows in the demo view.  When I try to insert the new windows, they will insert properly sometimes but other times I get an error "instance of (window) not cutting anything".  When I choose to delete the instance, it sometimes will delete a window that had been previously inserted.  There does not seem to be any consistency in it working sometimes but not others.

Not sure what is going on.  I have attached a file with the wall and windows.  All the existing windows are there and demoed.  Three new windows are in place.  I have tried "copy" and also "create similar" with the same results.

Any help would be appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
archlatham
in reply to: archlatham

Not sure what is going on with this but I got a notice a couple days after I posted this that Autodesk had created a support case.  A couple days later after hearing nothing, I posted a comment request for a status update and heard nothing.  Earlier this week, I checked on the status and it was closed.  I began a new case referencing the old case and have still not heard anything.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Message 3 of 8
mike

I too have had a similar problem.  I have an existing house where we are demolishing an existing corner window.  We are then extending the house and adding a new larger window where the previous existing window was.  So when I demolish the existing window, Revit fills in the opening with wall, which is all good.  But when I add the new window to the wall, the filled area of wall remains as per the attached images.

I have had to hide these areas of wall in the view, but shouldn't Revit automatically take these wall areas out ?

Cheers.

Message 4 of 8
cjgielens
in reply to: mike

I reported this bug a while ago with Revit 2012.

If you demonlish a window that includes a void instead of an opening, Revit cannot handle the same window at the same place. But when you shift the window a little bit the new window will cut a hole and will stay

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Revit-Architecture/new-window-in-infill-demolished-window-R20...

Message 5 of 8
archlatham
in reply to: cjgielens

Thanks cjgielens for the input. 

Autodesk support has not been much help.  I created another support case reflecting the previously closed one and got a response that it was how I created my windows and the voids in the wall.  I countered that I am using another earlier version (without transoms) on three other projects and they work fine. I haven't had a response from Autodesk.  I agree that it has to be a bug.

Based on the link to your previous discussion post, my work around was to change the height of the original window to make it an inch shorter and the new window is the proper height so that it schedules properly and the sections still are accurate.  This allows the new and existing windows to align in plan.  It did not seem to work to make the original window taller where the new window had to fit in the void of the demolished window.

It seems to work.  Thank you

Message 6 of 8
mike

I have just figured out a possible solution for this.  It seems that if you join the existing wall and the "fill" wall before you insert the window, then it should display correctly.  The trick is to join the walls before inserting the new window, doesn't work if you insert the window then try and join the walls.

Hope this helps.

Message 7 of 8
archlatham

After a couple go arounds with Customer Support, they also are unable to address the problem.  They typically do not try to trouble shooting with custom families. They agree that it must be a bug and are reactivating an old case with a similar problem and passing it on to Autodesk to look at the code.  I will continue with my work-around that seems to work.

Message 8 of 8
dofefesuci

This is one of the main reasons i stuck with having a professional window installer to complete my new windows. I got a quote and went with conservation construction. Next time, man avoid the hassle. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report