Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

renaming place icons

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
kwg06516
529 Views, 7 Replies

renaming place icons

Is there no provision for renaming the place icons in the Open dialog?  I'm not sure what Edit Places does.  It contains our standard libraries for families and templates.

I ask because in our office each project gets a directory of folders and they all use the same name for the Revit files.  If I have more than one project on my desk I'm faced with several icons with the same name and no way to tell them appart.

Thanks

iconography.PNG

AutoCAD 2010

AutoCAD 2015

Revit 2015

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
David_W_Koch
in reply to: kwg06516

It does not appear that Revit allows renaming the icons, like AutoCAD does.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 8
jkarben

You can name them if you add them through Revit's Options > File Locations > Places

Capture.JPG

Message 4 of 8
kwg06516
in reply to: jkarben

That didn't put anything in the sidebar, unless a restart is required. 

AutoCAD 2010

AutoCAD 2015

Revit 2015

Message 5 of 8
David_W_Koch

Strange.  I just tried it in Revit 2014, and the folder I added in the Options dialog as directed above by @jkarben now appears in the Open dialog, custom name and all, without having to restart the program.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 6 of 8
kwg06516
in reply to: David_W_Koch

That appears to work for local directories on my machine, and it does happen instantaneously, but networked drives are another matter.  One drive, our resource server for families, templates and standards works fine.  Our file server for projects however does not.  If I create a place for a local or resource folder and redefine the path to the file server I still get the original link when I click on the place icon.  If I create a place from scratch it doesn't appear at all. There's probably some security issue or subtle difference between the servers that's preventing me from defining a path via Edit Places, which wouldn't be a problem if I could just rename the icons!  Watch this never change.

AutoCAD 2010

AutoCAD 2015

Revit 2015

Message 7 of 8
chrisplyler

Is the path to a mapped drive?

Message 8 of 8
David_W_Koch

@Anonymous wrote:

That appears to work for local directories on my machine, and it does happen instantaneously, but networked drives are another matter.  One drive, our resource server for families, templates and standards works fine.  Our file server for projects however does not.  If I create a place for a local or resource folder and redefine the path to the file server I still get the original link when I click on the place icon.  If I create a place from scratch it doesn't appear at all. There's probably some security issue or subtle difference between the servers that's preventing me from defining a path via Edit Places, which wouldn't be a problem if I could just rename the icons!  Watch this never change.

Perhaps you are right about security/permissions.  I was able to create two Places referencing two different network folders, one using a drive-letter reference and one going through our domain path, and both worked.  I do have write privledges to both of those folders.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report