Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove unwanted dimensions from a dimension string.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
wkohn
2376 Views, 7 Replies

Remove unwanted dimensions from a dimension string.

Is there anyway to create a dimension string and then remove individual dimensions from it, while still keeping it as a contiguous string?

I ask, because in our office we dimension from finish face to finish face.  I would like to run a single dimension string, but when I create a face-to-face dimension string it also dimensions the thickness of the walls.  I just want to see the room dimensions, not the wall dimensions, but I can't figure out how to remove the wall dimensions while still keeping the others.

Furthermore, if this is possible, can I still use the equality constraint?  I don't want to see wall dimensions, but would still like to be able to make all of my rooms equal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

~Wes~ 

Dimension String.jpg

Tags (2)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: wkohn

The values of 8" could be replaced by a dot (.) using the "replace with text" feature. It does not accept spaces.

About the equality, I don't think it works in this case.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 8

I am looking to be able to do this same thing, except when creating families... As far as I know this  cannot be done...

Message 4 of 8
wkohn

I was pretty sure this wasn't going to be possible, looks like I was asking too much of Revit.  Perhaps a wishlist item for a future release then.  For now I can dimension individually, it's not preferred, but it works.  As for equality, I'll just have to set up a separate center to center string, equal it out, and then delete it I guess.

Thank you all,

~Wes~ 

Message 5 of 8
wapanzica

In adjusting the plan I somehow got a 0" dimension in my string and can't figure out to remove it.  I moved the dot to another wall and then moved it back but the 0" dimension will not go away.

Message 6 of 8
ToanDN
in reply to: wapanzica

Select the string and use Edit Witness Lines button and click on the element the "0 dimension pointing to.
Message 7 of 8
MVE1112

Hi,

If i am correct this is what you are trying to achieve right?

This is a single dimension string with one number removed, or more if you'd want.

To do this, click the number you want to remove and in its options select "Replace with text" and then copy and paste the following character (between the "")in the text bar "‏‏‎ ‎".  It looks like a spacebar character but its not.

Revit doesn't accept a space as a valid text replacement but this character can be used to create an 'empty' dimension.

Hope this helps, 🙂

Dimensions.PNG

Message 8 of 8
htews
in reply to: wapanzica

@wapanzica wrote:

In adjusting the plan I somehow got a 0" dimension in my string and can't figure out to remove it.  I moved the dot to another wall and then moved it back but the 0" dimension will not go away.

@wapanzica the 0" dimension means that you have 2 witness lines on top of one another in the same location.

if you want to show a blank 'dimension', double click on the dimension text, select 'replace with text' and right click in the box next to it and choose insert unicode control character and select LRM (which i typically use).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report