Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relative coordinates on revit

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
zazantiago
2184 Views, 6 Replies

Relative coordinates on revit

I asked this someqhere else but I thought I'd give it a try here so....

I'm a veteran AutoCAD user. I'm currently learning REVIT from a video tutorial I bought, but there's one small thing that's driving me crazy. How do relative coordinates work on REVIT? When drawing a line on AutoCAD you’d start the command, then click on the first and then type let’s say @5,9 That’d make the second point of that line to be located 5 units to the right on the x-axis and 9 units up on the y-axis from the starting point. How can I accomplish the same basic operation on REVIT? Same thing goes for moving an object. How can I move a column 3 meters to the right and 5 meters up without moving it twice, once in each direction, or calculating the distance and angle ?Please help a newbie!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
edwinprakoso
in reply to: zazantiago

You need to start thinking Revit is completely different product from AutoCAD. Many of your AutoCAD knowledge will not help.

Just like they said in Avatar to Jake Sully: It is hard to fill a cup that is already full. Think like you never learn CAD before.

--
Edwin
Message 3 of 7
bt1138

Translation:

The function you are looking for is ABSENT in Revit. 

It remains a mystery to me why such a basic, standard feature in a cad/graphics program has been left out. 

bt

Message 4 of 7
zazantiago
in reply to: bt1138

Finally! Somebody gave me a straight answer!

People at Autodesk, please consider adding this feature in future releases. It'd be quite a time saver!

Message 5 of 7
joeldf

Honestly, once you actually use the program, after a while you learn all the other ways of at least getting the same results. Not all of it is always better or faster, but you figure it out. Some things are better, and some not. But in the end, it's the coordination that becomes easier. I've been using Revit now for about 3 years, and have used Acad and the various architectural add-ons (DCA, Auto-Architect, SoftDesk, Arch-T, and ACA even now) for over 20 years now. Some things are still frustrating to deal with ("I want to do this - why can't it just do it"?). For one thing, the inability to simply explode a component detail totally baffles me beyond belief. But, there are many other things you can do in Revit that, after figuring them out, make up for those frustrations. You have to actually start using Revit, and you end up getting the result you want in a different way. I found that I don't miss the specific relative input method you mention as a way of doing things. In fact, I rarely used it to begin with.
Joel
Message 6 of 7
blinov.ua

I agree with you!
It is strange that I can indicate the length of the wall or line, but I can’t indicate its direction!

Message 7 of 7
RobDraw
in reply to: blinov.ua

This thread died many years ago.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report