Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refine element selection in view - no beams

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
granite07
389 Views, 6 Replies

Refine element selection in view - no beams

following the tutorial in ch 8 of "Design Integration Using Autodesk Revit 2013"  by Stine

section 8-36 step 35 Tip "Place all beams and then select them using the Filter tool and change the vertical position all at once"

this sounds nice but the Beams are not an option in the filter tool...

where are the beams in the filter tool?

Forest Peterson, granite@stanford.edu; build-sheet
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
rosskirby
in reply to: granite07

The tip is poorly worded.  What it should say is "drag a crossing window around the elements, click the filter tool, and uncheck all the boxes except for beams".  The selection filter tool is a way of filtering things out of a larger selection, but you have to make the selection first.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 3 of 7
Alfredo_Medina

Just to add one comment: the Filter dialog box does not use the term "beams" but "Structural Framing".

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 4 of 7
granite07

"structural framing" sounded like steel stud framing - that is probably where I went wrong, I had the selection done correctly.

Message 5 of 7
Alfredo_Medina

This is an example of why technical writers have to be very specific. The book should have said "Structural Framing" to avoid confusion.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 6 of 7
granite07
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

the problem is more than just the 'beam' / 'structural framing' nomenclature. When I highlight the structural plan there are no 'structural frames'. The columns are there. If I manually select the strutrural framing then it is fine.

Message 7 of 7
granite07

not sure why I cannot select the structural framing in the structural plan view, but if I select the structural framing in the 3D view then change back to the structural plan view, then I can filter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report