Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Referencing Plan Views on overall plan sheet

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
anthonyashford777
2961 Views, 3 Replies

Referencing Plan Views on overall plan sheet

hello all...
i know this might be old news, but i have just been doing a lot of concept work in Revit, so now that we are all proceeding in revit with CD's...i need to figure a few things out....
To start...

I HAVE A INDEPENDENT FIRST FLOOR PLAN AT 1/16”.
I HAVE A DUPLICATE AT 1/8”.
AND 2 DEPENDENTS OF THE DUPLICATE (essentially Matchline A / Matchline B)

THE OVER ALL FLOOR PLAN SHEET HAS THE INDEPENDENT 1/16” PLAN.
THE ENLARGED PLAN SHEETS ARE FROM THE DEPENDENTS OF THE DUPLICATE AT 1/8"

PROBLEM:
I CAN NOT REFERENCE THE VIEWS IN THE INDEPENDENT 1/16" PLAN.

WHAT AM I DOING IMPROPERLY? OR... WHAT IS THE WORK AROUND?

I already understand i cannot have dependents at a different scale of the independent plans. OR can I ?
I also do not need a view reference on the enlarged plan it is referencing, but maybe the reference of the other side of the matchline, would be nice.

Thank you, to all respondents.
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

How are you trying to reference them? If you use a callout on the overall plan, the button that appears before you actually pick points for the callout will let you reference an existing plan. These should allow you to reference the defendant views.
Message 3 of 4

Ok, to clairify.
Revit 2010
I have a "First Floor Plan" this is the independent original plan.
Then i created a duplicate view of the above, called "First Floor Plan Duplicate".
From the duplicate view, i created 2 duplicate as dependent views.
one called "Plan A" and the other called "Plan B"

"First Floor Plan" is set to 1/16" = 1'-0"
"First Floor Plan Duplicate" is set to 1/8" = 1'-0"
"Plan A" & "Plan B" respond to the 1/8" in the "First Floor Plan Duplicate"

The idea is to have an overall plan sheet at 1/16" (A-101)
And enlarged plan sheets at 1/8" (A-101A & A-101B)

under the Annotate tab and tag, view reference, I can reference the views on the enlarged plans.
But i can not reference the views on the overall plan which is from the 1/16" "First Floor Plan", the independent original plan.

If I cut and paste the text, i get this notice:
Cannot paste view references into the view they reference or into unrelated views.

The question is why can't i reference enlarged plans at one scale from an overall plan at a different scale. I think this is a problem and needs to be resolved.

Also, if i have annotation on the Matchline that says "Matchline A" & "Matchline B" is there a way this can be a property of the 3D matchline to appear on all drawings? Opposed to cutting and pasting it everywhere?
Message 4 of 4

THIS IS FROM SUPPORT AT SYNERGIS:

I want to share with Revit Users and Autodesk.

BY Bill Knittle;

{color:#800000}Anthony,

I pounded on this one today and I think you found a limitation of the software. It appears that the View Reference tag works only in views that have dependents.

My temporary workaround would be to fashion an Annotation Symbol family that looks exactly like the View Reference tag and manually enter values. It isn’t coordinated but, will provide you with what you are looking for.

I have created and attached a Manual View Reference Symbol that looks like the actual View Reference tag.

Below, I highlighted the two views and the two annotation families I used. The View Reference – Man tag can be added with the Symbol tool on the Detail panel of the Annotate tab in the Ribbon.

{color}

My Comments:

While I appreciate work arounds, What is the point of intuitive software if all the ideas havent been resolved in the software? With whom does autodesk seek to answer questions on construction documentation and standards of architectural drafting. This particular circumstance, questioned above, is something i have experienced differently in 4 firms, but the general concept is the same.

Referencing sheets or matchline halves or quadrants on the overall plan sheet, that is of a different scale, is general practice, and Autodesk... Revit Architecture needs to do this as intutively as it does on the overall plan at the same scale.

Commentary to this may assist Autodesk to see the need for a fix in theire latest version. Edited by: anthonyashford777 on Jun 15, 2009 9:14 AM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report