Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Referencing nested family types in a catalogue

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
mailbox
5608 Views, 6 Replies

Referencing nested family types in a catalogue

I have built a family and added various types; I have then nested this into my final family and would like to change the nested family type dependant on the final family’s type. (Hope that makes sense). I can do all of this until I want to make a catalogue.

This is what I did.

Made a family and added types.

Made a new family.

Bought in the 1st family.

Selected the nested family and added a parameter called "Attachment".

This all works fine I can change the type of the nested family in the edit type dialog box.

But I need to make a type catalogue and when I export the family types as a txt document the attachment parameter doesn’t appear. So how do I reference this?

I have attached the RFA & TXT files.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Alaaeldin_Alsahli
in reply to: mailbox

you cant export nested family into a catalog, Catalogs need to be the same name than the family to connect the path betwen both. so nested familly cant be read by txt file.

so what you need to do is the fallowing

open the family then edit your nested family and do a save as

LDLP Front Assembly.rfa

and the you could rework on this family and export it for family type catalogue

I suggest that you just nest annotation family into the main familly

I hope this Help

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘
Message 3 of 7
Alfredo_Medina

The "export family types" tool exports other kinds of parameters but it does not export the family type parameters; however, you can add the parameter manually in the .txt. file, in this format: for the header it should be ParameterName##other## and for the values it should be in this format: FamilyName : TypeName

3-6-2014 7-52-37 PM.jpg

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 4 of 7
mailbox
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thank you so much works a treat.

Cheers for you time guys

Message 5 of 7

Alaaeldin_Alsahli wrote:

you cant export nested family into a catalog, Catalogs need to be the same name than the family to connect the path betwen both. so nested familly cant be read by txt file.

so what you need to do is the fallowing

open the family then edit your nested family and do a save as

LDLP Front Assembly.rfa

and the you could rework on this family and export it for family type catalogue

I suggest that you just nest annotation family into the main familly

I hope this Help

What ???

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 6 of 7
Alaaeldin_Alsahli

Well I guess i miss understood the question. I thought he wants to export the catalogue of the Parameter which are inside nested family and not the main family.

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘
Message 7 of 7
BIMadmin
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Hello Alfredo,

Thank you very much for this however I have followed this workflow and although the values seem to be correct in the window catalog pop up the values are not correct in the project.

do you understand what I mean?

https://autode.sk/2DmFEwX

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report