Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

reference planes in 2012

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Anonomyous57
2469 Views, 12 Replies

reference planes in 2012

I am learning to use Revit 2012 and having a hard time figuring out why basic drafting features don't seem to work with reference planes. Aligning more than a few of these one-at-a-time is time consuming and frustrating - Does anyone know if there is a way to extend multiple reference plane lines to a boundary line or object? I read your instructions for offsetting reference planes - when I select the reference planes button in the home tab, the options bar allows me to set an offset distance but I am at a loss as to how one goes about getting the line to offset - I keep getting the layout dimension when i try to click on the line!

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

What would you get by aligning the ends of reference planes? They are considered infinite, and the line you see, long or short, is just a representation. They don't even print.

To create a new reference plane with offset, don't use the Offset tool from the ribbon, because it does not work for reference planes. Instead, use Home > Reference plane > at the options bar, type the offset distance you want > from the drawing tools use "pick lines" and select the line or plane that you want to use as a reference for the offset.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 13
Anonomyous57
in reply to: Anonomyous57

Thanks Alfredo - much appreciated. Any thoughts on options for extending layout lines en-mass in a manner similar to how one would use the fence command to extend or stretch multiple lines in Autocad?  This would be a big help as well.

Care to help out with another novice question?  I made a series of masses in Revit 2012 during a tutorial but accidentally saved each mass individually using the 'Finish' button before I realized that I needed to join the masses. Is there a way to join masses after-the-fact? I tried to go back in by using the edit-in-place button, but I am not able to include any other masses in this editing session in order to select them during the join command sequence.   

Message 4 of 13

For extending multiple lines use Modify > Trim/Extend Multiple.

For joining different masses use Modify > Join Geometry.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 13

Many thanks again!  Have learned about 'extend multiple' for lines recently but worded the previous question inaccurately, I think - Is it possible to extend reference planes in a similar manner? (being new to the software, I keep thinking of them as 'layout lines') I could see it being helpful for plan layout, etcetera to be able to extend the visible segment to a boundary. For example; an interior wall centerline to an exterior wall centerline.

Message 6 of 13

No. The Trim/Extend Multiple tool does not work with reference planes.

Message 7 of 13
rosskirby

If you're trying to extend reference planes, I think you're missing the point of what a plane is.  They are not meant to be construction lines, the represent a 2D plan that is infinite in every direction perpendicular to the plane in which they were drawn.  There's no need to extend the visible representation of a reference plane, because they are infinite.  If you really want to trim/extend something, you'll have to use either detail lines, model lines or reference lines.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 8 of 13
Anonomyous57

Hi Ross,

Thanks for the explanation. I think you are correct- I am missing the point about the intended idea and use of reference planes as well as other similar ideas relating to Revit 2012. Having learned to use a number of 3d modelling and cad programs effectively, I have found that the real learning typically begins after a basic understanding of the conceptual framework of the program takes hold but I have not yet found a source of information that offers this kind of explanatory information in any form. Do you (or does anyone else) know of a book that can help one understand the basis for how this software is organized? I have a tutorial book which is walking me through basic functions, but basic acts of working efficiency such as changing the height of several walls by pulling their bottom edges down at the same time (formerly a shift or control multiple selection) are not possible with contectual menus. I know there are ways to do these things but finding out how has been really involved and I think is rooted in a lack of understanding of the big ideas used to design this program. Hoping for some help and a great deal more insight. Thanks!

Message 9 of 13
adave

anonymous57

Looks like you started out on this journey into revit about the same time as I did.  Did you find any good reference or training sources for noobs?  I've been watching individual tng videos on Youtube, which are great, but a bit piecemeal.

Message 10 of 13
Hadlari

Modifying existing Refrence planes can only be done one at a time. its just plane shameful.

When using reference planes to sub divide mass faces for pattern based CW it would be nice to be able to use the extend tool to limit the scope of the reference planes just to keep it looking tidy in a plan view. Most of the time the north/south east/west reference planes would be used for both faces but on a non box building they are often not. 

The planes are infinite but the representation of these planes can be modified. it’s just a shame the extend tool is unavailable.

Message 11 of 13

So I think you may be missing the point of the question.  I am working on using reference planes to control group paramaters.  aliging walls components and face based elements. If I array, copy, move model groups from one floor to the other we end up with not being able to control what refrence planes are seen.  For example a room on the 3rd floor shows everywhere.  There are dozens of refrence planes per group.  draging them manually is a pain.  It's not a novice question, its an advanced question.  It is novice to think there is no reason someone would want to use a plane that controls elements but does not span every floor. Over constaining elements is easy to do and it works best to control locking paramaters via refrence planes. 

I hope that is not too harsh.  I just wanted to point out t AutoDesk making this easier to do is a good idea.  

Regards,

Mike Black

Message 12 of 13

I agree.  We have a multi-story IFC model imported from Archicad that does not allow us to host devices to most of the imported walls.  We used Archichad add-in, but this did not help.  We  have had to place many reference planes to be able to mount devices on the floor plans, and a method to limit these reference planes will be helpful so the reference planes above does not show up or get accidentally moved from another floor (if they did not pin it).  

Message 13 of 13
cbcarch
in reply to: BDezayas

You could place a dimension from the Ref. Plane to a Level, set to zero and lock it.

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects-St. Louis, MO

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report