Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebar in callout and rebar rounded columns?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
jz4all
1622 Views, 5 Replies

Rebar in callout and rebar rounded columns?

hi,

First: I tried to rebar columns in callouts but it showed me a non active action. In other words I can not rebar them in callouts. But I can in sections. I in several video lessons I saw that is possible. Why I can not? What did I miss?

second: Can anybody provide me with a link to a good representative video lesson to rebar a rounded construction (for instance, rounded columns)?
p.s.: I use Revit structure 2013.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
alida.popescu
in reply to: jz4all

Firstly, regarding the callout issue, theoretically the callout is just another view. So it behaves like any other view -  anything you model inside the callout will exist in the whole project.

I tested placing rebar in Revit Structure 2013 in a callout (Detail callout for both sections and plans)  and it worked just as in the main views.

Could you give some details about what error messages you received when trying to place rebar in a callout?

Secondly, another issue I understand you are experiencing is placing rebar in columns in a Plan Views, which is indeed a bit tricky.

When trying to place rebar in a Plan View, Revit recognizes the current work plane as being the current level.

Since the column probably starts on that exact level, the current workplane is not viewed by Revit as intersecting/being inside the column. 

My suggestion is to follow these steps:

1. Create a Reference plane in an Elevation/Section View that is above the current level, and so intersects the column.
  2. Name the plane as you wish, so it will be easier to find afterwards
  3. On the floor plan, before placing the rebar, set the current workplane to the plane you just created.
    • On the Ribbon -> Structure -> Work Plane -> Set -> Name

I also recommend this video explaining the placement of rebar (longitudinal and stirrups) in a column.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_wmxJRy_EQ

The same tips should work on a rounded column as well.

I hope this helps.

Alida Popescu
Message 3 of 6
jz4all
in reply to: alida.popescu

Thank you Alida,

This solution is good and solve the problem.
Of course, sections is the best place to rebar the column. I did it also in (call out). But what pushed me to try in (call out) is the rounded columns. I could not rebar them in the section. For that reason I tried it in a (call out). Then I faced the difficulties.
Your suggested solution solved that. Do you have any video lesson about how to rebar rounded column? Or your suggested video is the only method?

Thanks again

Message 4 of 6
alida.popescu

You're welcome. Glad I could help.

I am not very sure now what you mean when you say "call out"? Do you by any chance refer to a Plan View (a view from above) as a callout?

If  that is the case, I recommend the workaround that I mentioned in my previous answer, with creating an additional reference plane.

In have just tested the issue in Revit 2015 R2 and it is possible there to place rebar in Plan views without the need of additional reference planes (by using the other two Placement plane options - Near Cover Reference or Far Cover Reference):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d31gWHMs3eM

But placing rebar in Sections for rounded columns should work in Revit Structure 2013. Exactly what kind of rebar were you not able to place?

I could not find a video dedicated to rounded columns. As I said, same tips should apply to rounded columns as well.

Maybe you can tell me a bit more about what problem, specific to rounded columns you are experiencing and I'll see if I can help.

Alida Popescu
Message 5 of 6
jz4all
in reply to: alida.popescu

Thanks for your response. To explain exactly why I tried to rebar the column using (callout). As you mentioned, I tried to rebar from above. Because I found it as alternative method for (Section) to rebar a round column ( I have yet limited experience in Revit).Why? in (Section) I can decide how many bars should be, parallel or perpendicular. That is easy when I have rectangular column. But in a round column I can't use it. The only way I know now that I put a bar in above view of the round column and then to make a radial array copy of the bar. I saw before a video lesson to rebar a round column but by using additional function in (Extensions), which must be separately downloaded. Off course it must be a method to achieve that within the standard functions of Revit. And that what I would like to know!!! I hope with this explanation is understood what all the story about!!! For info: I use Revit structure 2013. There are no errors, but it gave me no possibility to rebar the column (that was before using the suggested method in the video you mentioned). Thanks again.
Message 6 of 6
alida.popescu

The Revit Extensions are basically add-ins made by Autodesk as well, so they are perfectly compatible with your Revit product. That is why you can find them in the Subscription Center, under Product Enhancements section.

(In this case Autodesk Subscription Center -> Product Enhancements -> Revit Extensions for Autodesk Revit 2013)

These Extensions are meant exactly for the purpose of enhancing existing features of Revit, a lot of the time simplifying certain actions that would require repeating the same steps multiple times.

So I would strongly suggest using the features it has available, including the automatic placement of rebar in (rounded ) columns.  You can of course modify the rebar placement and dimensions as you wish.

Otherwise, I did check to see if I could find another method using just the inbuilt functions of Revit and, at this moment, array seems to be the best option for placing the longitudinal rebar in a rounded column, without using the Extensions options.

But again, placing rebar using the Reinforcement tab from the Revit Extension will save you a lot of time and can be more accurate than for example manually placing each bar and using the array option.

Alida Popescu

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report