Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reasons for void not cutting an extrusion?

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
mike.zagorski
61876 Views, 24 Replies

Reasons for void not cutting an extrusion?

What would be possible reason for a void not having any effect on cutting an object? I created a parametric void... Then I created an object... No change to the object. If I create an object then a void, it seems to work.

24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25

When the void is created first than the solid, you need to use Cut Geometry. No need to re-do the solid or void.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 25

I have the same problem and I even used cut geometry tool. It cuts one extrusions in the path, but does't do the same to another extrution, even using cut geometry tool!?

Message 4 of 25
DLollar1973
in reply to: armandsirte

Im having the same issue a year after the last post with no reply from Revit at all.

I create two solid forms and then the extrusions. I use cut geometry and it only works on one extrusions even though they are the exact same shape and extrusion just facing differnt directions. Will cut one but then tells me it cant keep the items joined if I try to cut the other. I can cut them in different orders and it always only cuts the extrusion I apply cut geometry to first will NEVER allow the second cut to the second extrusion. WHY WHY WHY cant the tools in Revit just workthe way they are supposed to for a change? 

Message 5 of 25
ToanDN
in reply to: DLollar1973

Can you place two of the same voids in the same location and use one to cut each extrusion?
Message 6 of 25
crobinson5
in reply to: mike.zagorski

I have the same problem in 2018..... sometimes the voids cut automatically, other times I'm able to do it with cut geometry. Which one was created first doesn't seem to have  huge effect, although it probably cuts automatically more often when the solid is created first. Other times it just will not cut and I cannot determine any clear and consistent reason why. Any feedback or insight would be much appreciated because it drives me nuts sometimes (:

Thanks all! 

Message 7 of 25
steve2P376
in reply to: crobinson5

Bump.

I have the same problem.  I cant seem to see any consistency with the behavior.

Message 8 of 25
icrawford
in reply to: steve2P376

I have been having the same issue

Message 9 of 25

.... there are two topics talking about the same

.... anyways here is the answer ... again

.... did you try setting the work plane to the desire face you are trying to create a cut/void ?

Picture1.png

aRcHiTeCt.JM

REVIT EXPERT ELITE
➪ ➪ ➪ ➪ ➪ ➪ ➪ ➪ ➪ ➪ ➪ ➪ ➪ ➪ ➪ ➪ ➪ ➪ ➪ ➪ ➪ ➪ is it working for you ? ➪ ⇩ 'Accept as solution' ⇩ ⇦

Message 10 of 25
ToanDN
in reply to: icrawford

@icrawford wrote:

I have been having the same issue

Create the void as a face based generic family, draw the void and use cut geometry to cut the solid with it.  Load this void family in the project and pick a face of the element you want to cut and it will be cut, no extra work needed.

Message 11 of 25
steve2P376
in reply to: ToanDN

This is what I do too but why can't we just model an in-place family to cut stuff as it seems to be a logical workflow.  We have a face based rectangular and circular void families, which work for 90% of what we need, but we still need the in-place functionality rather than needing to create a new family for each void we want to cut.  Then it's a ball ache to adjust if there is a change in the geometry.

I have tried changing the in-place family type to the same type as what I am cutting but it still doesn't work.

Cheers

Message 12 of 25
ToanDN
in reply to: steve2P376

An in place void only cuts the solids created in the same in place family, or system families, while inside the in place editing mode.  Only the developers can answer why but I guess they would just shrug and tell us to "Deal with it".

Message 13 of 25
willemcreffier

To me this limitation makes sense.

If you use phasing, you do not want to manage the phase of an object and the phase of the void cutting it seperately.

Kind regards,

Willem

Message 14 of 25
mithridate

ToanDN gave the right answer. I write the procedure the way I like books to be written i.e. for dummies or beginners so it is:

1-Create the solid form [architecture, component, model in-place, window opens, choose a family, ok, create, , ex: extrusion, choose a shape, check the green tick, modify your form

2-you have your form, stay in the edit mode do not check the green tick

3-if you have already a form then click on the form and click on the icon [edit in-place]

4-click [create} set your plane by clicking on [set], window opens, choose [pick a plane], then [ok]

5-click on the face of the solid where you want to cut

5-from create tab choose [void] then choose any of the options i.e. [extrusion]

6-from [draw] tab choose your shape and draw it on the chosen plane

7- click outside the form, the void is done

Note: sometime you get a warning that the void does not apply you must use cut, so click on cut icon, click on the main form and then click ob=n cut form, it should do it.

8-check the green tick to finish the model

9- if you are lucky the cut is done

Tags (1)
Message 15 of 25

I was getting the same issue for my models when trying to void a revolve.

I had cut through the revolve 5 other times, all being the exact same size and length. The only difference being that the one that wasn't working was in line with the axis.

I started playing around with it a bit and found out a solution, however I am not sure why this is the case. There was a face that the void did not want to touch at the bottom of it (even though all other ones were touching it). As soon as I slightly raised it up. It could magically cut the surface.

Message 16 of 25
m-de-lange
in reply to: mithridate

Step 1, check tick

Step 2, do not check tick

what?

Message 17 of 25
dmthach

Thank you.  It was the cut object step that I was leaving out when I created my void extrusion to cut my revolve.  

Message 18 of 25
a3376r
in reply to: mike.zagorski

Hey guys, hope you all doing well!it was my problem too but after so many failings I have got the answer:

1)go to architecture tap, component- model in place - generic models and create an extrusion. any shape!

haha now here is what you should do:

WAIT AND DO NOT CHECK THE GREEN TICK, 

HERE in edit in-place mode of your extrusion, you should draw your void extrusion and it will cut .(because the edit is related to this part not after the drawing has been ended)

you shouldn't do it after clicking on the green tick and draw another generic model(void extrusion) and expect it to cut your extursion.

TADA!! 

NOW YOU ARE DONE.

now continue through your design!happy designing!

By Sana @afsharchitect   (my account in Instagram)

Message 19 of 25
section.line

Thanks so much, managed to resolve the "issue"! #beginner 🙂
Message 20 of 25

You are a master, thank you a lot!, i have spent my whole morning in that

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report