Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ramp with multiple slopes

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
heterarch
6855 Views, 5 Replies

Ramp with multiple slopes

So I've got a fairly long pedestrian ramp with a code-required landing in the middle of it. I've figured out how to create such a ramp as a singular entity, but Revit makes the landing flat by default. Because this is an exterior ramp, in reality the landing needs to slope at 2% for water runoff purposes, as well as to squeeze the thing in to the allowed space - yeah, it's really tight enough that the minor landing slope will make or break the situation..
Can this be done as a single ramp? Obviously I can break it up in to several individual ramps, but that makes creating the handrails more difficult, as well as making editing the ramps later on more difficult should they need to change.
Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: heterarch

It would seem to me that there has to be a landing (flat surface at the end of a run, before another run starts. You can draw a ramp run, then start another run at 90 degrees to that run, then complete the ramp with a return run. Placing a 90 degree run to your first run will create a small landing and start a new slope run between the two long runs and between short landings.

If the ramp sections need to have different slopes then you have to use several ramp sections to create the overall. One way to resolve railing issues among serveral ramps is to customize your railing to fit the situation with several different railings to match or be hosted by the ramps.

Mel Persin, AIA
AEC Technology Consultant
Technology to Visualize and Realize Solutions
MasterGraphics, Inc.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

the ramps could be slabs which may give you more control over slopes.

--
Brian Earsley
www.arete3.com
18645 South West Creek Drive
Tinley Park, Illinois 60477
708.342.1250 x.225
wrote in message news:5689909@discussion.autodesk.com...
So I've got a fairly long pedestrian ramp with a code-required landing in
the middle of it. I've figured out how to create such a ramp as a singular
entity, but Revit makes the landing flat by default. Because this is an
exterior ramp, in reality the landing needs to slope at 2% for water runoff
purposes, as well as to squeeze the thing in to the allowed space - yeah,
it's really tight enough that the minor landing slope will make or break the
situation..
Can this be done as a single ramp? Obviously I can break it up in to
several individual ramps, but that makes creating the handrails more
difficult, as well as making editing the ramps later on more difficult
should they need to change.
Thanks!
Message 4 of 6
heterarch

Melarch: I'm not 100% sure I understand what you're suggesting. I am able to create a single ramp with multiple runs with flat landings between, which would be great for an interior situation, but as this is an exterior ramp, there shouldn't be any actual "flat" landings - they need to have a subtle slope (max allowed by code = 2%)..
I've made the multiple ramps and consequent multiple railings work, but am still interested in whether there is a better way to deal with it. I hadn't tried using floor slabs though, but if anything, I would have thought that it would give me less control/flexibility in this situation.. Perhaps I'll give it a try anyway though.
Otherwise it would seem that the consensus is that it isn't possible to create a single ramp with multiple slopes (discounting entirely flat landings), ie - part with 8.33% and part at 2%?
Thanks!
Message 5 of 6
sixingno1

Did you ever had a solution to this? 

Message 6 of 6
Philip_ATX

It seems to me a 2% grade on a compliant ramp would defeat the purpose of the landing.    The purpose of the landing is to provide a place where wheelchair operators can *rest* without rolling. 

Instead, I would specify a slight dome to the cross-sectional profile of the ramp to direct water to the sides. Any (nearly imperceptible) slope would thus be perpendicular to the run of the wheels, and could only direct a wheelchair towards a rail were the wheels to turn. 

This needn't be modeled out in 3-D, IMHO, but would be a matter for a detailed call-out.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report