Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAM limiting?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
cjcollard
2114 Views, 9 Replies

RAM limiting?

I recently picked up an HP Pavillion dv6 quad core with the following specs:

-i7 Quad core processor

-8 Gb ram

-750 gb HD

-ATI radeon 6490 graphics with 1 gb of ram

I am having issues running Revit Arch 2012 on my machine. It boots up and runs for a couple minutes and then says that there is not enough ram to keep running smoothly. However, when Im on the campus computers, which also have 8 gb, they never get above 4 gb or so during normal use (all i have drawn so far are a couple walls, doors, and windows, yet its at 7.5 gb of ram being used). Any ideas? Im pretty bummed so far that I cant work at home yet.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
ccollins
in reply to: cjcollard

The rule of thumb for Revit file size and RAM is:

Compacted Central File Size x 20 = Amount of RAM required. ( assuming you are using Worksets and a Central File )

Same could apply to an independent / non-workset enabled project.

So, a 200 MB file x 20 = 4GB RAM required to open, save and work on the file.

Your computer should not be struggling unless your file is exteremely large. How big is the file?

cheers

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 3 of 10
richkuksa

Have the same problem with a HP ProBook 4530s Windows 7 Pro 64, 8 gb ram and a 35mb Central file in Revit MEP 2012 sp2. This laptop has a switchable graphics between Intel HD and Radeon HD 6490M. When it is set to the Radeon 6490M, Revit will use 1.3GB ram with this file, but commands in ribbon are not pickable.  When it is set to the Intel, the same file will eat up all 8gb and continue paging but the ribbon works fine. As of today, Revit reinstallation and the latest HP display drivers are installed with no solution in sight. It appears to be an issue between Revit and HP's drivers.

Message 4 of 10
rat69

I have a similar problem. I have a HP ProBook 4730s running W7 ( i7 2.00GHz 8 GB Ram). My Ribbon commands don't work, they freeze, disapear and do all kind of weird stuff. Does anybody has a solution for this? Will really appreciate.

Also, two of my co-workers have the same machine but they don't experience these problems. No idea why.

Message 5 of 10
loboarch

When the ribbon is "dissappearing and otherwise acting "weird" it may be an issue with the graphics card.  I would try turning off hardware acceleration and see if that resolve the issue.  To turn off hardware acceleration go to the applications menu (big purple "R") and select options.  In the options dialog on the graphics tab unchack the hardware accleration box and then close and restart Revit.

This may resolve the issue.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 6 of 10
arqyt

Hi, about the DISAPPEAR RIBBON MENU...

that happened to us some time ago and after many reinstallation without result, we find a curious answer ....
close revit

and opens a rvt file with double-click on it, 
and that's all

Jose M Carralero.
ArqyT
Message 7 of 10
rat69
in reply to: loboarch

It was a graphic card issue. I just modified ONE setting.

In the Radeon "Catalysy Control Center", under Start/Power/Switchable Graphics Method, I picked the second option (Select the graphics processor manually or based on power source).

I previously ignored this option because I assumed that the first option was the ideal one (Select the graphics processor based on application needs), but I was wrong. Now everything runs perfect.

Hope this fix applies to somebody else.

Message 8 of 10
cjcollard
in reply to: rat69

I disabled hardware acceleration and that seemed to take care of the RAM growing exponentially issue. However, I do like to model using the 3D realistic settings view. With hardware accelleration off, I no longer can use that setting and get the same results. I did notice however that Revit didn't recognize the ATI Radeon graphics card in the settings tab, under graphics. It recognized the primary (weaker) Intel chip, but not the ATI. I have the ATI enabled in the switchable graphics menu of the Catalyist Control, but it still doesn't recognize it. Any ideas of how to switch things within Revit itself? Thanks

Message 9 of 10
DarrenP

try disabling the intel graphics card

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 10 of 10
sburke

This is why you shoul use nvidia based graphic cards.......

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report