Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Railing not showing in plan

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Brad9
12828 Views, 8 Replies

Railing not showing in plan

I'm having a problem with railings not showing up in plan, if the floor is the host. If I change the host to the stair, the railing shows up in plan. This problem happens even if two horizontal railings are connected, with each having a different host. Its not a cut plane/depth issue, and everything is turned on in the visibility/graphics settings. Nothing is hidden either. Not sure what to look at next? Thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: Brad9

Make sure that, in plan view, the sketch line of the railing is on the stairs. Most likely there is gap now between the edge of the stairs and the railing. If there is a gap, the railing cannot detect the slope of the stairs, and will remain on the floor even if you set the stair as the host.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 9
Brad9

I'm sorry, I may have stated my original question in a confusing way. All of my railings are drawn on top of the stairs and floor.I have a small flight of stairs that lead up to a concrete slab. I have modeled the railings on the stairs fine, and they show up in plan. However, separate floor hosted railings need to continue along the concrete slab for a few feet. It is these railings that are not showing up in plan. The railings on the stairs turn horizontal on the top tread, which shows up in plan, but my floor hosted railings that butt up right to them and continue horizontally along the floor do not show up even though they are at the same height.

Message 4 of 9
Alfredo_Medina

For questions like this one, it is always a good idea to attach an image. It makes things a lot easier to understand.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 9
Brad9

Hopefully this helps.

Message 6 of 9
Alfredo_Medina

I thought it was something related to View Range, but looking carefully at your plan and sections, it seems that at least a portion of those missing railings on the slab are visible in your floor plan, so that makes me think it's not View Range. Could you post a simplified, purged, Revit file?

Message 7 of 9
Brad9
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Well, I figured it out.  Apparently the cut plane was too low. I raised it above the top railing and it now shows up in plan. The reason I didn't think that was the issue earlier is because, as you pointed out, part of the railing at the top of the stair was showing in the plan (even though it was technically above the cut plane)??? I guess if a stair hosted railing runs through the view cut plane, its going to show the entire railing in plan even if part of it is above the cut plane.

Message 8 of 9
Alfredo_Medina

@Brad9 wrote:

I guess if a stair hosted railing runs through the view cut plane, its going to show the entire railing in plan even if part of it is above the cut plane.

Yes, that is correct.

The strange thing is that apparently, part of the flat railing was shown in plan, as well. Like one foot, apart from the other foot coming from the stairs. Anyway, so it was related to View Range at the end.

Message 9 of 9
Brad9

Oh ok, didn't know that. The flat part of the railing that is showing in plan is actually part of the stair railing. In the section, you can see the vertical line in the hand rail that separates the "stair" railing from the "floor" railing. Sorry for complicating a simple problem, I appreciate all of your help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report