Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rail Structure profile coarse/medium/fine detail level problem

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
chad2472
750 Views, 2 Replies

Rail Structure profile coarse/medium/fine detail level problem

Hi Everyone.

I am trying to create a custom railing family that displays different in the coarse detail level than it does in medium or fine.

What I am doing is I have to have a simple line style for the handrails when in fine, and a complex style in medium or coarse.

So I was able to do this just fine with the rail Balusters. I inserted a narrow "Simple" model objects for the fine detail and fully details model objects for medium and fine.  This worked great.

The issue I am having is with the rail structure profile. The horizonatl rail is round. But I want a diameter of 1mm for fine and a diameter or 48mm for medium and fine.  If I place two seperate circles and assign them the "Visibility/Graphics Override" the family brakes and won't let me select the family in the "Rail Structure" of the family type properties.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Chad

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: chad2472

I think the reason is because balusters are 3D, while rails work with profiles, which are 2D, and if you put 2 circles in a profile, Revit will issue an error, saying that "Rail profile must have one closed loop".

But, just curious, why do you want to have a round rail that is 1mm in diameter? That is a big difference from 48 mm. You might not even be able to see it on the screen, or to build it in reality.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 3
chad2472
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Hi, thanks for the responce. We are just switching over to 3D from 2D and the standard was to show centerlines for the handrails.  So I have setup my handrails with 1mm dia to reproduce the centerline look. But I was hoping to have the option to show the true 48mm rails in the fine detail view.  I don't suppose there is a way to have the dia of the circle change according to the detail level is there?

Thanks Chad

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report