Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rafters on roofs

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
172 Views, 4 Replies

rafters on roofs

Hello, I need to make a number of rafters, and i need to attach them to an inclinated ref. plane. I need to use cut geometry between rafters and some walls. what family type I have to use to made a rafter attached to a ref plane? My idea is to work separately, in one hand the roof and in the other the ref. plane with the timber rafters (of any complexity) attached. Before I have tried this: I have created a rafter class that attach to a roof but the problem is that on complex roof this causes many problems, on some cases the rafters does not correctly link to the roof. I am sure that there is a better way... --- Alain Martini http://www.inalto.com
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
sbrown
in reply to: Anonymous

Make a structural beam ie the out of the box wood beam and go to a ceiling plan view and select the plane button and select a roof face(the underside) this will make that the work plane, now pick the beam command and place the beam.

Then array. etc. Now for a complex end condition to the beam, just open the family and modify the end as needed.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

sdbrown wrote: > Make a structural beam ie the out of the box wood beam and go to a ceiling > plan view and select the plane button and select a roof face(the > underside) this will make that the work plane, now pick the beam command > and place the beam. > Then array. etc. Now for a complex end condition to the beam, just open > the family and modify the end as needed. Yes, this is a good idea, I can make all the beams with the structural tools and then adjust the family at the end. I have done some tests and my problem is also to have the possibility to use the "join geometry", and I cant use this tool on structural items. But I Have solved the problem in another way (but more complicated): 1) I create a ceiling with the same slope of the roof for every part of my roof. 2) I have created a ceiling based timber with the ability to set the correct dimensions AND the slope of the timber (wich is the same of the ceiling) (You can see the figure) ... after some time to set all the rafters in the correct place an with the correct dimension and angle (yes structural beams are really more simple to set) I have get all I need. the pros: the great thing is that if I modify the roof I dont loose the beams! I turn off the ceiling and the roof in the view and I get the wood structure with all the timbers that correctly join the wall geometry. (see figure) all that should be more simple to do using join geometry between structural items and walls. the cons are that you spent more time in that way. --- Alain Martini http://www.inalto.com
Message 4 of 5
sbrown

good work, I didn't know join geometry didn't work with structural elements.
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

Hi Sd, I tried your suggestion works fine, however, my beam command seems not able to snap, I mean snaping is missing while creating beam according the suggestion. I just have to have a faith kind of while clicking that I clicked right. Any ideas. -- Cheers!!! BIM "sdbrown" wrote in message news:21996052.1094645880051.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Make a structural beam ie the out of the box wood beam and go to a ceiling plan view and select the plane button and select a roof face(the underside) this will make that the work plane, now pick the beam command and place the beam. > > Then array. etc. Now for a complex end condition to the beam, just open the family and modify the end as needed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report