Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"double" doors - moving a door reveals a phantom door

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
mandy.kottas
859 Views, 5 Replies

"double" doors - moving a door reveals a phantom door

My firm's family library consists of nested families (to edit a door frame or panel, you have to edit that family separately), which was causing issues in the door schedule (I had to filter by fire rating to get the panels and frames to not show up in the schedule as separate doors).  After fiddling around with that fix, I suddenly have "duplicate" doors in my plan.  By that I mean: when I move a previously-modeled door over, a swing and frame show up in the existing location.  I can neither delete them, move them, nor do they go away when I pick a new host, but they do go away when I delete the door.  Another problem was doors not cutting the walls anymore.

1) What did I do to bring this on?

2) Can I resolve the phantom doors without having to recover a back-saved file or without having to delete every door and placing it again?

Image attached.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

You might have accidentaly loaded one door family into another door family. What do you see when you click on the phantom family and then on Edit Family?

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 6

I am able to edit the door panel, which has always been a family nested inside of our door family.  I opened that door family (opened on that was directly doubled) and started deleting things, but found no duplicates.

Message 4 of 6
LisaDrago
in reply to: mandy.kottas

Are there any extra symbolic lines? Typically the floor plan view is just symbolic lines representing the door panel.

As for the panels not cutting the wall - make sure there is an opening around the door.

That is what is doing the cutting.

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 5 of 6
mandy.kottas
in reply to: LisaDrago

The frame is visible as the model itself (no symbolic lines) and the door swing family is loaded into the door family with no extra symbolic lines (but shouldn't the family move as a unit anyway?).  These families have worked before and since; something just happened at some point to make them glitch like this.

There is an opening around the doors that are normal, the doors with phantom elements when moved and the doors not cutting walls--they're all the same door.

Message 6 of 6
alan.quinn
in reply to: mandy.kottas

Try opening the door family in questions and then open the nested families. When you are as far out as you can go, purge the unused elements and load the nested family back into the host family. Purge (and Audit since you can) each nested family and then the host family. Re-name the host family. Then open a blank out of the box Revit file and load the family, what happens? If the issue is still present then the problem is in your family somewhere. If the issue is not present open your project and load in your re-named family. Find one problem door and swap it out for the one you just loaded. What happens? If all is well then find another problem door, right click and choose select all instances in entire project and swap them all out. Now delete the problem family from the Project Browser. After that open up your re-named family in edit mode, change the name back to the original and re-load. You may have to swap out again, but at least the results will be better!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report