Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Bring to Front" dimensions?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
chad2472
3166 Views, 8 Replies

"Bring to Front" dimensions?

Hi Everyone. I am having a problem with dimensions and making them opaque. I want to use "Bring to Front" to solve it, but Revit does not give me this option.

To detail out my problem: I have a dim style style setup to make dimesion text mask out objects behind it. The problem we are having is that if I draw one dimension, then draw a second dimenion that is over top of the first dim's text the second's extension line is not hidden behind the text. If I delete the first text and redraw it, it will then hide the second dim's extension line. The proper solution is to use "Bring to Front" to fix it. But Revit is not giving me this option. I am using 2011 right now. Has this been fixed in newer versions of Revit, or did the programmers never figure we would need to do that?

Thanks Chad

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
CoreyDaun
in reply to: chad2472

This problem would persist to Revit 2013, as there is still no control for Display Order for Dimensions.
Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 9
chad2472
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Well that sucks!

Note to Autodesk and Revit programmers. Dimensions need the draw order added!

Message 4 of 9
humdec

I am here looking for a solution too. In Autocad (2013) you can "draworder" dimensions to front or back. But not in Revit (2013). In Revit you can move the text out and an arc appears, which is nice (and sometimes better), but this is an extra step for each dimension we want to make cleaner. If I must, a workaround is copying the dimension string I want in front (if the dims are chained this task is easier), right on top, then slightly move the new string so I can see and delete the old one, then move the new one in place. The new string remains associated to the object. Again, time consuming, but it beats redrawing a dimension string.

Message 5 of 9
melvin
in reply to: humdec

Quick fix for the dimension draw order issue: select the dimension you want to bring forward, select the copy command, pick a base point and immediately pick the same point again (precision in your picks is not important.) Hit escape, hover over the new dimension and hit tab once, tap the left mouse button to select the old dimension hidden behind the new copy, and hit delete. Once you get the sequence down, this is very fast and doesn't require any redrawing of dimensions. Using the tab key to cycle selections eliminates the need to move anything around.

I've been preparing concrete deck insert drawings that contain hundreds of dimensions, most of which need to be placed within the drawing boundaries; this lack of a draw order command has been a constant hassle.

Message 6 of 9
subhra_civil
in reply to: CoreyDaun

IS THERE ANY DISPLAY ORDER CONTROL FOR DIMENSION IN REVIT 2014? I AM USING REVIT 2014 PREIMIUM. IF THERE IS ANY SOLUTION ABOUT THIS MATTER IN REVIT 2014 THEN PLEASE INFORM ME.

REGARDS,

SUBHRADEEP SEN

INDIA

KOLKATA

Message 7 of 9
autodesk

OCTOBER 2021 STILL NOT FIXED. 

Message 8 of 9
ToanDN

Cut and paste aligned in place is still a thing.

Message 9 of 9
RSomppi2

The problem we are having is that if I draw one dimension, then draw a second dimenion that is over top of the first dim's text the second's extension line is not hidden behind the text.

Crossing dimensions should be avoided. Drafting 101.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report