Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Always export as geometry" not working?

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
elina.hyvamaki
1772 Views, 8 Replies

"Always export as geometry" not working?

Structural columns are exported as blocks to DWG, even if I have checked the "Always export as geometry" -box in the column family. Any ideas what's causing this?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

How do you want the columns to be in AutoCAD? It seems that this option of "Export as geometry" does not refer to the exported drawing being a block or not, but it refers to the column being converted to the equivalent structural object in AutoCAD Architecture, or passing as simple lines.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 9

Thanks for answering! That explains why. Actually the real problem here for me is not whether the columns are blocks in the dwg or not. What I'm trying to do is to get the structural column cut pattern and the cut line to separate dwg layers, following the advice about layer modifiers given in this thread: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Revit-Structure/Export-to-dwg-column-hatches/td-p/3804025 . I just haven't found the type of layer modifier, that is described in the post...

Message 4 of 9

It works for me. I did not have to go into the families to change the default settings of export as geometry. I just put these settings in Revit. (I exported to dwg from a 1st level plan, with detail level set to fine, so that I could see the patterns). Hope it helps.

3-2-2014 11-17-47 AM.jpg

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 9

That's exactly what I'm trying to do! Could you tell me which layer modifier you used?

Message 6 of 9

It is as shown on the image above, highlighted in yellow, in the Export dialog box. I added "-PATT" to the layer name "S-COLS", (just typing in that cell), and then I changed a couple of colors, that's all. Nothing complicated.

Message 7 of 9

It worked, thank you!!

Message 8 of 9
marj.olson
in reply to: elina.hyvamaki

Thank you!  That was great. 

Any ideas about walls?  I cannot get the wall outline and fill to show up on separate layers.

Message 9 of 9
elina.hyvamaki
in reply to: marj.olson

This way:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report